cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is everybody OK?

No posts for 10 days. Hope all is well and nobody is in the hospital with the scourge or cooties.

I recently purchased my first "expensive coin".  I previously always had a fear of doing so. It's pretty nice and no problems. Some of the stars on the reverse are weak, but I don't think it detracts from the overall condition of the coin. Most of the listings on eBay in this price range were problem coins graded with details like: cleaned, whizzed, scratches, etc.

My approach to collecting is starting to change.  Instead of being a hoarder, I intend to trade/sell off my hoard of common date BU Mercs, FDRs and Washingtons  for some key dates, like a nice 1877 Indian or 3-legged Buffalo.

Photos from original listing:

NOTICE: "THIS COIN IS NOT FOE $ALE !!!"

Front.JPGBack.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Is everybody OK?

Beautiful coin. If you only you trace where it's traveled the last 223 years.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

all good here, just nothing to post about...

nice coin... i've never owned an early dollar... i did have a nice slabbed vf20 1806 half for many years, but it had to go a number of years ago...

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

"big bird" hasn't visited us since July 26th. I sent him a personal message, but no reply. Hope all is well with him. I think he lives outside L.A., away from the fire evacuation areas.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

That is a nice coin!   A very good choice for starting a 'new' area of collecting coins.   

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

She is beautiful.   And graded is always the way to go when it's going to cost you more money.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

Hey Blink!  Do you remember what year it was that we (several of us here) had discussions about 'coin finds' in streets & parking lots? 

Well, yesterday (30 Nov 2023) Heron found a 1978 Nickel in the parking lot of the local Supermercado.  Actually, it was not bad looking after Heron removed several small pieces of asphalt from it.  (The Supermercado parking lot was asphalt resurfaced a few months pasado and the stuff is still relatively soft).  Heron realizes that at his advanced age it might not be safe to be picking up coins but the habit is difficult to break and Heron saw another person eyeing the Nickel so he had to act FAST.  (Coin collecting is great fun).

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

¡Hola! elheron,

The Mods have locked the thread, but here it is:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/Check-your-pocket-change/m-p/29740774#M69343

btw......I found a 1980-D Washington in the parking lot at Publix on New Year Eve. Maybe a good omen for 2024 ?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

2 Jan 2024- Hola Sr. Blink!  Thanks for the informacion.  Yes, finding a Quarter Dol. in the parking lot is certainly a good omen!  Heron's most recent visit to the supermercado he was scanning the parking lot for potential robbers and stepped into a blob of some sort of pink colored candy.  After a half hour in the store most of the glob was gone!  No coins found since the 1978 5 Cent piece was found.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

29 Febrero 2024- Hola Blink, This 'find' of loose change might not count same as money found lying about.  However, it could be something of interest.  Several months pasado Heron was talking with a family member about how cool it was this 'rainy season'.  That family member gave Heron a large heavy lumber jacket (plaid. Almost new. The family member said it dint fit him).  Heron has worn it for a couple of months and one day recently found in upper left hand small front pocket, 89 Cents in change and 1 token 'cinemark' (no cash value. and no other good info on this token)  Token appears to be brass and grades about EF (or XF).  Reporting just for fun!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Is everybody OK?

I haven't visited in a couple years but I'm still kicking about. Good to see some of you are still here.

I think towboater showed up in the Facebook Coin Identification group I moderate. But he didn't respond to my hello.

"climate is what we expect weather is what we get"
M. Twain

Message 11 of 11
latest reply