cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exonumia of Hawaii

i started collecting Hawaiian exonumia when i was stationed there oh so many years ago... thought i'd show some of my collection...

this is probably one that more have seen than any other except maybe the very common so-called dollars of the 70's and 80's... the 1951 Hula girl bus token... 

listed in Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog 2nd Edition (Medcalf/Russell) as 2TT-7 and in Atwood-Coffee as HI240E...

100_7210.JPG100_7211.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Exonumia of Hawaii

A really neat token!  Something unusual to add to an accumulation.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

encased 1946 cent, listed in Medcalf as 2EN-16

100_7212.JPG100_7213.JPG

  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Heron has been recovering some long lost memories of 'encased Cent pieces'.  In the time period of 1946 through about 1955 there were many Cent pieces in different designed 'cases'.  The lucky horseshoe one was very popular.  And, el Heron also remembers some places that were summertime tourist areas had a machine where a customer could encase his or her own Cent piece.  Heron believes the cost was about 20 Cents.  Or perhaps 10 Cents.  But it was a fun thing. And created a memory of whatever amusement park was being visited.

Heron's memory is a bit hazy on the cost.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

that's interesting... i never knew there were encasing machines like that...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There are still a couple of encasing machine manufacturers that have some of the original encasing machines. (According to comments on a popular numismatic website).  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply