cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

English Edward I,II,III coin long cross hammered silver coin

I have nailed this coin down to one of the IMG_8351.JPGIMG_8352.JPGEdwards but can't pin it down further. Anyone? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Very odd looking; not sure this one is real. Do you have a weight?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@flanagan-laneantiques 

< I have nailed this coin down to one of the Edwards but can't pin it down further. >  

What is that character following the last D in Edward?  Isn't that a V?  I'd think that would seem to indicate Edward V.  Too obvious?  What am I missing?   

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Remember that all English coin legends, up to the present day, have been in Latin. And in the medieval period the legends had various symbols dividing the words, probably as some sort of control marks. So the complete obverse legend reads: (initial cross) EDWARDVS (saltire cross) REX (uncertain symbol) ANGL- "Edward King of England". They rarely used ordinal numbers; you have to attribute the coins using the symbols and variations in the design, like the crown. That's why I'm doubtful about this coin- the details don't match. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, and well said!  Heron's introduction to the Latin language was through coin legends on English coins.  In autumn of 1948 Heron traded a .22 Winchester single shot carbine (cost of rifle $3) for 33 English coins. All coppers. (The rifle was way too short for Heron to shoot straight.  Plus the fact that 33 English coins were indeed a good 'trade').  Heron also wrote to the person in charge of 'foreign coins' at the Smithsonian Institute.  We lived only 14 miles from the Smithsonian but we did not have a phone at that time.

So, a 3 Cent 1st class letter request for info was always answered. Heron would hand draw a likeness of the coin including the legends. And that is how Heron lernt about Latin legends on English coins.  However, the English coins in the 33 did not go back in time further than about 1797.  The 33 English coins ranged from 1797 to 1910. A great time of collecting for el Heron.  Heron has some of those items to this day.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply