cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRACKED NGC SLAB

A seller is and has been selling NGC slabs with obvious evidence of slab cracking/opening. I recently received a 2019 Gilt Canada S$20 Gold Maple Leaf - Incuse with a verifiable grade of PF70. Beautiful coin. First i noticed the coin was set off center and off rotation. Then the damaged/deformed prongs, 2 of 4 that the coin sits in. Then the marks on the coin that would surely disqualify it from being graded 70. Then the cracked edge of the slab. Then with the Loupe glue residue on the slab edge. I revisited the sellers page to inspect photos of all for sale and sold coins of which there are at least 16 of the same coin as mine. Most showed signs of slab tampering. I’ve sent a couple of emails to NGC detailing all this but don’t know what to do next. I’m not sure I want to complain to eBay just yet. Does anyone know what a good next step would be?  I complained a little to the seller in a message and was told I could return for a full refund when they receive it in the same condition as when they sent it but trust is gone. I appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

CRACKED NGC SLAB

There's been a lot of discussion recently in the Pokemon Community about opening slabs with a heat gun and then resealing with different cards. Two youtube channels you could reach out to to see if they're interested are Pokemon Knowledge (he's done a lot of content on scammers cracking slabs) and Rattle Pokemon (he has a really big following and was in Time Magazine recently... He calls out specific scammers for what they're doing). I know your situation involves a coins and they talk about Pokemon cards, but I feel like there is some overlap and they might be interested.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

CRACKED NGC SLAB

you've already done what you can... contacting NGC was the best choice... don't bother reporting their listings because nothing will come of it... what you CAN do (if you haven't cracked it out) is return it thru ebay and detail the issues, including your report to NGC... state only facts, include pics of the problem areas...

did NGC get back to you?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

CRACKED NGC SLAB

@sapphire_studio wrote:

There's been a lot of discussion recently in the Pokemon Community about opening slabs with a heat gun and then resealing with different cards. Two youtube channels you could reach out to to see if they're interested are Pokemon Knowledge (he's done a lot of content on scammers cracking slabs) and Rattle Pokemon (he has a really big following and was in Time Magazine recently... He calls out specific scammers for what they're doing). I know your situation involves a coins and they talk about Pokemon cards, but I feel like there is some overlap and they might be interested.

you're not gonna open an NGC slab with a heat gun...

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

CRACKED NGC SLAB

No reply from ngc yet. I will post updates. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

CRACKED NGC SLAB

Pokemon Knowledge opened up CGC (owned by The Collector’s Society which is the same company that owns NGC) slabs that were holding Pokemon cards very easily with a heat gun (on camera).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

CRACKED NGC SLAB

You received an item that was not as described.

To me, a good next step would be to open an item not as described case, receive a prepaid return label, return the item and be refunded.

Don't exactly understand your reluctant, but it's entirely up to you.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply