wrong import calculated when on screen before purchase

the price tripled after confirm purchase on import charges

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@jonhs1579,

You have posted your issue on the U.S. based site's community (ebay.com)  We rarely deal with import, VAT or customs fees here, because there are none on items costing less than $800. dollars.  If you joined ebay from one of their sites based in Europe, you should login to it and post your issue on its community. 

You also need to give more information about the transaction. This is just a guess, but Customs fees are usually based on an item's cost. If you won an auction and saw the estimated customs charge before winning the auction, it was based on the price showing at that time, not the winning price.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

What is the link of the item?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@jonhs1579,

You have posted your issue on the U.S. based site's community (ebay.com)  We rarely deal with import, VAT or customs fees here, because there are none on items costing less than $800. dollars.  If you joined ebay from one of their sites based in Europe, you should login to it and post your issue on its community. 

You also need to give more information about the transaction. This is just a guess, but Customs fees are usually based on an item's cost. If you won an auction and saw the estimated customs charge before winning the auction, it was based on the price showing at that time, not the winning price.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have been buying on .com ebay for months now I'm Swedish,

I have dealt with customs fees past, on the screen it said 5 pounds on 40 pound item confirm purchase,

To 25  pound import charge so ebay trick me into believe i would get it at that price and had to ask seller to cancel order 

They did that

Just crazy import charge just for a rare manual to a video game no game 

Electronic

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/226055134311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=E3Nacw_SQaC&sss...

When i clicked purchase ebay gave a way different price to pay after 

No auction 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Well I guess seller can have the feedback as compensation

I don't get this site where it lies how much i should pay

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

That item was purchased on Mar 27, 2024 by best offer. The product ID is now sold out, so that link is redirected away from the listing. Here's a link that does work. It was listed on eBay UK:

Nintendo Gamecube - MARIO PARTY 7 - UKV PAL - Boxed & Manual ONLY 🌟🌟🌟 No Game | eBay UK

The problem is the VAT charge. You're used to the VAT being included in the in purchase price, but you gave the link on eBay USA. www.eBay.com is based in the USA, and in the USA we have sales tax not VAT. Sales tax is not included in the purchase price, it is always added on at checkout.

So when the listing was viewed on www.eBay.com, the VAT was displayed separately as though it were sales tax, and it was not shown until it was added on at checkout, which gave you sticker shock.

If you had viewed the listing on eBay UK www.ebay.co.uk, where it was listed, then you would have seen the purchase price with the VAT included. If you were logged in with your shipping address in Sweden, it would (should) have shown you the price with the 25% Swedish VAT included, so the import charges would not have been such a shock.

The sales tax in the USA is always lower than VAT, but people here still get shocked sometimes when the sales tax is added at checkout.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply