cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will ship search

I am searching  for furniture, is there any way to exclude "local pick up only"?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

will ship search

@little.font.lord.leroy,

Since Local Pickup Only is a shipping option, there is no way to Exclude items that have the option from your searches.   However, depending on how a seller has set up their shipping methods, I you click on the "Shipping, Returns, & Payments" tab,  you may find they do have a shipping option available, but Local Pickup shows because that is their primary choice. If the shipping option is "Freight" you can expect high costs, and will have to be home on the day of delivery. 

As others have mentioned,  for larger pieces of furniture the shipping cost may be extremely high. Then there is the risk of it not being as described, or being damaged in transit.  Which means repacking and returning the item will be a problem. 

If the Local pickup items are too far away most of the time, you can use the filter in the left hand column to select a distance from your zip code that will exclude items outside of the distance you have chosen. 

If your concern about local pickup is carrying a large amount of cash with you to complete the purchase, there are ways you can pay using an electronic method, described in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id=...

If the issue is not having a large enough vehicle, there is always U-Haul which has fairly low rental rates for half day or hourly rentals.  Before renting a truck or trailer, you can ask the seller if they will let you inspect the furniture first before renting a truck.  You can still wait to pay until you pick up the item, using an electronic method and the QR code. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

will ship search

That can be a problem buying mail order.  Shipping would be very costly as it goes by both size and weight.  You might want to purchase it local.   A small chair or end table might be shipped but a dresser or sofa would be too expensive to make it worth it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

will ship search

Why? Are you eager to pay for an item of furniture from clear across the country, including costly shipping,  find out it's not as described, open a NAD case and have to repack it and return it in order to be refunded?

Are you interested in a particular style of furniture that seems in short supply locally? 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

will ship search

@little.font.lord.leroy,

Since Local Pickup Only is a shipping option, there is no way to Exclude items that have the option from your searches.   However, depending on how a seller has set up their shipping methods, I you click on the "Shipping, Returns, & Payments" tab,  you may find they do have a shipping option available, but Local Pickup shows because that is their primary choice. If the shipping option is "Freight" you can expect high costs, and will have to be home on the day of delivery. 

As others have mentioned,  for larger pieces of furniture the shipping cost may be extremely high. Then there is the risk of it not being as described, or being damaged in transit.  Which means repacking and returning the item will be a problem. 

If the Local pickup items are too far away most of the time, you can use the filter in the left hand column to select a distance from your zip code that will exclude items outside of the distance you have chosen. 

If your concern about local pickup is carrying a large amount of cash with you to complete the purchase, there are ways you can pay using an electronic method, described in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/shipping-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id=...

If the issue is not having a large enough vehicle, there is always U-Haul which has fairly low rental rates for half day or hourly rentals.  Before renting a truck or trailer, you can ask the seller if they will let you inspect the furniture first before renting a truck.  You can still wait to pay until you pick up the item, using an electronic method and the QR code. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

will ship search

This is one item that I don't understand how anyone can buy online. You need to see it. Today's quality is not the same as year ago.  I have seen dressers that are wood in the front and the rest of the drawer is particle board. Complete junk.  Particle board is tiny pieces of wood that have been mixed with a chemical and pressed together.   You need to inspect furniture. You need to see the seams of the fabric.  You need to sit down. LOOK at the quality of the legs.  Will they hold up  your family especially if a member or two is overweight?  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

will ship search

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

This is one item that I don't understand how anyone can buy online. You need to see it. Today's quality is not the same as year ago. 

Thank you for your response. Actually I am looking for a rather rare style of antique side table. I have seen a few on offer in France, and believe it or not, the shipping from France is cheaper than an auction house in Texas to ship to the midwest. 

I agree that you should be leery of buying furniture online, but I am rather well educated when it comes  to furniture, and I am looking for antiques. I have zeroed my search down to a few offers, one from from France and another in the US thru Cherish, which offers a very reasonable shipping rate.

But I do agree that most dealers on eBay are not prepared to ship large pieces of furniture, and god forbid, have it returned as not as described.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply