cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

goodbye to the buyers and sellers I have come know

I started out on ebay in 1997, Joined paypal a few years later. Here we are in 2021 and I have left ebay because it is no longer a good fit for me. As a small seller ebay is no longer fun & profitable. I have grown tired of the twice yearly updates and new rules. I can sell elsewhere (recently sold a collectible for 2K cash on facebook) but I will miss buying here. But thankfully I will be able to buy at other web sites and/or brick & mortar stores. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: goodbye to the buyers and sellers I have come know

I would rather study and refresh my memory on the operating components of the Airbus Fleet and the Federal Air Regulations Part 121; of which I am thoroughly trained,  than put up with ebay.    It appears that there is a waiting period for closing out an account.  I just received the message "The payment method for ebay is changing.  Please update your information", yadda, yadda.  As if I didn't know that already ebay.  So,  that is my cue.   I have escaped MP up until this point,  but I see now the time has arrived as I will have to provide that all important update of personal information.   I guess ebay fears that last $6.99 item I sold might have a SNAD filed against it within 30 days and they will lose a dollar or two which will change their bottom line.  It's all about the Benjamins, isn't it ebay?   I have been here since 2004 and I'm no longer interested in the mess eBay has created.   Who needs the new and improved scam bay?    There will just be another sucker out there to sign on with them and take my place.   What ever happened to KISS....keep it simple stupid?   

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@jameshen1,

"But I don't understand why you have to give up buying here. I still do with this account".

soh.maryl wrote;

"If your only issue is with selling here, are you aware that there's no reason you can't continue as an eBay buyer?"

I will not presume to answer for other buyer/sellers, but for me the reasons I will probably reduce even further my buying if I quit selling on ebay, is that I feel greatly let down by this site.  Year after year since `08, sellers have taken the blame for management's bad decisions, leading them to make even more policies that interfered with our selling, costing us more in time, effort and money to to do business.  In one case unfairly targeting the lower volume sellers for removal, using a known DSR glitch so they could increase space for the higher volume chinese sellers without having to pay to increase server space to handle the traffic. Not to mention the complete lack of seller protections.

The list of eBay's poor treatment of their sellers is a long and sad one. It would take its own topic to properly list all of the things sellers have had to endure. The bottom line as far as this reply to you both is concerned is that, after enduring all that we have, why would anyone who is losing some portion of their income, turn around and support the site that is the cause of that loss? More simply put, sellers who are giving up and leaving are voting with their wallets.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I'm growing tired of the poor seller protection and lack of help also. Glad to hear so many others are having success branching out so I think I'll follow 😊

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Craigslist has great seller protection if you do it right. I'm selling off my film camera collection and meeting the buyers in the lobby of my sheriff's office. Receptionist and I are on a first-name basis now.

I thought about selling here, but with all of the fees and the hassle and theft, I figure I'm doing better there.

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

i can remember getting cash payments thru the mail back then. Then ebay claims they wanted to "protect" us and did away with mail payments(cash, money orders, checks, ect). Our rights as sellers have been whittled away to where we work for ebay and have to follow the rules they set and change on a regular basis. Seems to me all the rules are for them to increase their bottom line while eliminating ours...

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

I waited for them to get the final payment from PP and then sign off ebay for good. I got a message saying I had to wait at least 30 days before I could.... after 23 years what's another 30 days! No more ebay for selling and buying for me...............

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I am now using various facebook collector groups to sell. Recently posted a picture of a mcdonalds vacuform poster from 1971 and was offered 1000 within 1/2 hour. A day later a 2000 offer was made by a collector in japan. I settled for a 2000 cash to a USA buyer with the buyer picking up the piece in person! No 12% ebay fees and no hassle about shipping, or worries about ebay scams....

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@greek38,

Unless ebay made a change, you have to wait 60 days after your last transaction has been completed.  When you finally do give up make sure to delete/remove all of your login information from your device(s) if you have it saved.  Saved login info on sold, tossed out or given away devices, is how many people have their accounts hi-jacked.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for your post.

We got the "update your account" banner on Wednesday.

No message, no email.

It was misleading to me & typically eBay. Felt underhanded. Can they not say, it's your turn for managed payments? Is it so awful, they can't call it what it is? 

Its no longer working for us, either.

Buying for close to 20 years, selling  more  for an income for 6.

With eBay's fees on tax & the increasing postage PLUS adding eBay's fee to that  we just aren't making enough for our efforts.

Especially when there are constant changes for no apparent reason (to sellers anyway).

Like loss of classic view, no more easy PayPal, constant fears of getting ripped off.

We are Always afraid we will commit a sin to upset the eBay gods ot G.d forbid, selling the wrong thing, 

Then there are now postal delivery worries. Chasing the Mail carrier down the street because again, they skipped a scheduled delivery, dealing with nervous buyers, who don't seem to understand that there is not an eBay truck bringing their items, watching tracking, it has added another big headache. 

And ebay holds us accountable.

Although a Chinese seller can ship partially, take 3 months,  or not ship at all.

Trying to keep up with all for a low volume seller is nearly impossible.

All of those hours are unpaid effort. 

Not selling, which is sort of the point. 

For us, maybe it was some fun, but we need $$.

We, too, have sold items on Facebook Marketplace. 

Buyers come to our front porch, give us cash & we are finished.

Its soooo easy.

If Facebook is good enough for eBay, to reach customer service, then it's definitely good enough for us to use to sell.

I could echo what so many on here say.

Best of luck to all.

After all, if we want, we can come back.

Ebay had become a habit for us & I think it may not be a good one. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

You are right greek38.  We have so many good consignment shops in our area, no need to even shop or sell here any longer.   I am donating the remaining items I have to the Family Assistance Thrift Shop.  It is a very worthy cause.  I cannot think of a better place to donate.    Appears the cut-off date for MP is May 15th so I am passing the golden opportunity to opt in (ohh, I mean forced in) to MP.  My car trunk is already packed and it will actually be liberating to be rid of the stuff and  rid of ebay which has become too much effort for too little return.  It was a decent run when it was running good, but that is long gone.  ebay is now like the south bound end of a north bound donkey. 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Good luck in your future endeavors lindyslucky.    May the road rise up to meet you,  and the wind always be at your back.    Stay safe.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

So, what's the consensus on the best alternative?  I understand facebook marketplace and craigslist for local, but what is closest to year 2000 ebay?  Before ebay was an online storefront for big business.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply