cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay seller not canceling order and not replying to my messages.

Hello. I recently placed a bid on an auction, but after I won it and went to pay for it, I noticed that the shipping price has increased by a lot since I last saw it. Because if this, I decided not to pay for it. It was too late to ask the seller to cancel my order so I sent the seller a message asking them to cancel my order. It has been two days since I asked them to cancel my order and they still haven't cancelled it. They aren't even responding to my messages. How can I get them to cancel my order? Can I open up an item not received case after the estimated delivery date has passed? Can I ask eBay to step in?

Also, what will happen if the seller doesn't cancel my order? I've never gotten an unpaid item strike, before. If I get a strike on my account, can I appeal it since it'd be my first strike? What if the seller set it so their orders don't automatically get cancelled after four days? Will it sit in my cart forever or will it get removed from my cart?

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: eBay seller not canceling order and not replying to my messages.

Thanks that definitely would be a possible reason 🙄 

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Glad to hear that you have made  good resolution for your future shopping and that you've realized that you need to take steps that will make eBay shopping better for both you and your sellers.  

Nah … 5 new bid retractions since yesterday.  You can’t make this stuff up.  🙄

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

Wow! So I jumped in with my kudos for the OP just a little bit too early? 

Message 48 of 80
latest reply

Regardless of your explanation that you would be changing the way you shop here, five bid retractions since yesterday?

Would you be amazed to hear how many special lists you are being added to? 

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

In the famous words of Johnny Rotten, “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”

I seriously doubt OP will change their ways.

Message 50 of 80
latest reply

Wow..

I've been on Ebay since the very beginning. This account I think is 24 years old, and I have never bid retracted NOT ONCE.

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

5 bid retractions @codu-3879  WOW 

@soh.maryl 

I posted too soon too

actions speak louder then words

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

@soh.maryl wrote:

Glad to hear that you have made  good resolution for your future shopping and that you've realized that you need to take steps that will make eBay shopping better for both you and your sellers.  

Nah … 5 new bid retractions since yesterday.  You can’t make this stuff up.  🙄

OMG!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 53 of 80
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

In about 20 years I retracted a grand total of 1 bid that I can recall. It was because the seller added information below the original description which noted a significant difference in the item from how it was originally listed.

Snap - exactly the same here and the reason.

I seem to remember that when sellers were allowed to add a note below their description all the bidders got an email alerting them to the change. Must be a while since that was an option. And you could also use a different id to ask yourself a question which you could select to be shown on the listing.

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

Probably just tying up the loose ends from previous actions (bids) before embarking on the new way of thinking.

Strange thing is.................................  this buyer is also a seller🤔

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Wow! So I jumped in with my kudos for the OP just a little bit too early? 

Ya think?  LOL

I just knew that more retractions would be coming when the OP said,  "I'll try my best to stop retracting so many bids and learn to use different methods if I'm interested in an item."

That's something you say when you have a compulsive habit going on that you doubt you'll be able to break ... and/or you really don't want to stop doing.  

I really wish the OP would explain how they're using retractions/cancellations to work the system.  [I realized that some bidders were using bid retractions as a bidding strategy when I saw a bidder with 4000+ bid retractions in a Bid History, but I couldn't figure out exactly how they were doing it.] 

@codu-3879 

You kept saying you didn't realize that retracting bids was wrong ... even though you were shown the rule on the screen each time you retracted a bid ... so I thought I should point you to eBay policy:

>>  When you can retract a bid

You can retract a bid if (Note: these options are only applicable for up to 1 hour after making the bid when the listing is ending in less than 12 hours):

• The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid

Any other bids can't be retracted, but you can still contact the seller to see if they'll agree to cancel a bid for you. Remember, the seller isn't obligated to cancel the bid so they may not agree.  <<

The above is from here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/retracting-bid?id=4013&st=3&pos=1&query=Retracting%20a%20bi...

Sellers stopped being able to change descriptions at all once a bid has been placed ... so making a 'typo' became the only VALID reason a while back.  A bidder shows that they made a typo by placing a new bid for the correct amount ($20, in the example) immediately after retracting the bid with the wrong amount ($200).  Have you been rebidding 'correct amounts' after retracting?

Message 56 of 80
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

You seem to be missing a point or two.  The neutral FB that you appear to leave routinely when sellers don't comply with your wishes is a small thing compared to the fact that you feel you need to ask to cancel so many transactions in a year. 

It's even worse than that @soh.maryl.  All but one of the neutrals were left for the sellers who complied with the OP's request to cancel.  

Message 57 of 80
latest reply

Hey, I've got you all beat. I've been here 27 years with no bid retractions. As for the OP, some people should stick to brick-and-mortar.

Message 58 of 80
latest reply

Can't even imagine how many best buddy lists you have been added to. This isn't your first post on the subject either, so pleading ignorance is highly disingenuous. 

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

The only point/reason I can think of for so many retractions is a habit of placing a high bid just to reveal other bidders current maxes. A very bad habit.

I'm surprised eBay doesn't limit this in some way as it defeats the hidden high in auto bidding.

Message 60 of 80
latest reply