cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay removed my feedback

A seller first ignored my request to cancel an order (which I made less than 15 minutes after I placed the order), sent the order anyway, and then refused to engage me on return, even though 'free rerturns' was listed on his site. He even told me "cancelling an order is against eBay policy". I left a negative feedback and wondered why he had more than 1000 positive (only) feedback. Some of those positive feedback looked too good to be true. Now I know why - my feeback was removed by eBay within 3 days, with no explanation and no recourse. eBay essentially allows sellers to control the feedback they show. Scams are common these days but I am really disappointed that eBay has become a platform for scammers. Buyers and honest sellers, beware.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

eBay removed my feedback

Did you open up a return for the item?

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

Perhaps it would be helpful , if Ebay would strongly publicize an order cancellation should not be considered a shopper's entitlement or right 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

Hi @kefls35a 

On one hand, the Seller is trying to force the sale on you but on the other hand, you did commit to and purchase the item.  While Sellers are under no obligation to grant and process a cancellation, smart ones will.  I've done that a few times over the years, cancelling helps avoid issues down the road.  

The Seller is not being truthful with regard to eBay's cancellation process.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

At this point, if it's still less than 30 days from receipt, you can open a Return request. You'll be made whole. Good luck.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

@ed8108 wrote:

Perhaps it would be helpful , if Ebay would strongly publicize an order cancellation should not be considered a shopper's entitlement or right 

But, eBay has never said that, or even implied it. They just tell the buyer to make the request as soon as possible.

Since eBay implemented the process for buyers to ask for a cancellation, the only reason eBay has ever provided for why a seller might refuse to cancel, has been if the item has already been shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/cancelling-order/cancelling-order?id=4004

lacemaker3_0-1714587872582.png

eBay has never, IIRC, given sellers any list of acceptable reasons to either accept or deny  a cancellation request. So the only reason that is listed anywhere in eBay policy, for when a seller can or should deny a cancellation request, is if the item has already been shipped.

The policy has always been written like this, and it must be deliberate, because that's how eBay wanted (and wants) the policy to be. It's pretty passive aggressive, but a lot of eBay policies are like that.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

@kefls35a wrote:

my feeback was removed by eBay within 3 days, with no explanation and no recourse

The explanation is that you abused feedback.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

Sellers aren't required to oblige a cancellation request.  Most experienced sellers will, just to avoid post transaction problems.  If your feedback was outside of ebay guidelines, the seller can request to have it removed.  Such as mentioning ebay involvement in the transaction, or making inflammatory or derogatory comments toward the seller.  As an aside, requesting a cancellation and leaving negative feedback is a pretty good way to get on a sellers "best buddy list".

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

Since the seller had free returns, if you open a return within 30 days after the package was delivered, they will have to accept your return and pay for return shipping.  You don't contact the seller to do that, you can open the return through your purchase history.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

If your feedback mentioned that the seller refused to cancel, that's likely why it was removed. EBay's not going to let you neg a seller for an action they're permitted to take.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

I used the channel for feedback on seller (not feedback on product). I just described what happened, quoting exactly what the seller replied me when I contacted him e.g. when he claimed cancelling and returning were against eBay policy. I did not use words like scam and I did not call the seller any names. I did not write as I had written in this post, which reflected the injustice I felt when a less-than-honorable seller could actually garner more than 1000 positive feedback and no negative one at all; and that it was atually eBay that has heen condoning or even helping such sellers. I have no time to go through the return process because I was travelling - I asked the package to be delivered to a hotel. Perhaps that's how the seller figured out that he would just have to deny the cacellation and there would be nothing I could do about it.  

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

@kefls35a,

"A seller first ignored my request to cancel an order (which I made less than 15 minutes after I placed the order)".

When you pay for an order you have entered into a contract, and it then takes both parties in the contract to agree to changes or its cancellation.  As others have said sellers are not Required to agree with a cancellation request. 

Many of the higher volume sellers (especially the ones who are registered in or drop ship from China)  are drop shippers and use an automated system that automatically sends an order to their warehouse within seconds of getting the payment notice. Those sellers can't cancel the transaction at that point, and that is why they denied your request.  Read the info in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buyers-can-cancel-order/buyers-can-cancel-order?id=4004

When you left your feedback, it qualified for removal because you sent a cancellation request, since a seller does not have to agree to honor a request. 

"...sent the order anyway, and then refused to engage me on return, even though 'free rerturns' was listed on his site".

Free returns are only for items that are not as described, damaged, or not working.  Your reason for trying to return the item, is considered to be a "Buyer's Remorse" reason, and therefore you would have to return the item to the seller at your own cost. That cost can be very expensive if it is going overseas with tracking which would be required, in order for you to get a refund.  So the seller did nothing wrong by refusing the return.  That is another reason why a feedback could be removed.

In the future, save items to your Watch list until you finish shopping, or double check the listing carefully to make sure it is what you want. Once you are sure it is what you want to buy at the price shown, you can pay directly from the listing page itself, you do not have to add it to the Cart to pay.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

It does seem rather silly that a seller that takes returns would refuse to accept a cancellation. 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

@mudshark61369 wrote:

Free returns are only for items that are not as described, damaged, or not working.  Your reason for trying to return the item, is considered to be a "Buyer's Remorse" reason, and therefore you would have to return the item to the seller at your own cost. That cost can be very expensive if it is going overseas with tracking which would be required, in order for you to get a refund.  So the seller did nothing wrong by refusing the return.  That is another reason why a feedback could be removed.

Minor correction: Free returns aren't necessarily only for NAD items. A seller's return policy can be any of the following: 
1. No returns (but this would only apply to remorse returns and seller has opportunity to accept or decline request)

2. Free returns (seller pays return shipping) - buyer can return for any reason or for no reason

3. Returns (for any reason) within stated timeframe but buyer pays return shipping 

@kefls35a mentioned that the seller had a "free returns" policy. (Without seeing the listing, we don't know that it's an accurate statement; just going by the OP's post.) And if the seller had a return policy, he/she would have been obligated to accept the return and it would have been automatically accepted (per the seller's terms) had the OP requested the return in accordance with policy.

It sounds like the return request wasn't opened as it should have been.

With all that said, the OP was wrong to expect a seller to cancel upon request and to (try to) ding the seller for now giving in to the demand! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

eBay removed my feedback

There was just too much inconsistency in how the seller behaved. Initially, he claimed that "cancelling an order is against eBay policy". When I pointed out that was untrue, he immediately said sorry for missing my cancellation request because he was 'too busy filling orders'. I replied I understood if he was busy and he could just outline how I could return the item since 'free returns' was on his listing. That was when he went totally silent. I could copy and paste my entire exchange with the seller here, as well as provide an image of his listing. However that would expose the identity of the seller and I am not sure if this forum would then delete my post. It is catch-22.

It would have been helpful if he had explained to me what 'free returns' mean, like what you had done. To add insult to injury, after my feedback was removed, the seller gave me a positive feedback, which created the impression that this was a 'happy deal' for both. It just felt devious.

When a buyer provides feedback on an eBay seller, the seller could reply, to tell his side of the story. There is really no need for eBay to rush in to remove a negative feedback which was solely on the seller (i.e. not about eBay or the product), esp. when he was supposedly a superstar seller with more than 1000 positive ratings and zero negative rating i.e. he should be in a very good position to defend himself. The silver lining from this episode is that I now have some insights on how the eBay feedback system works. However it was also sad because I would now view all eBay sellers with suspicion.   

Message 15 of 22
latest reply