cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is the worst platform in regards to protection from fraud and cheating and is getting worse

I bought some beautiful coins on eBay and made deals with great sellers, however; eBay with its ZERO customer service and total alienation of management form the people on the platform is destroying its reputation, creditably and trustworthiness. They are losing a customer who spent thousands over the years for the sake of fraudulent sellers.

A year or more ago i bought a coin that never arrived, i waited for seller as he was promising me he will solve it, then he stops answering, when i write to eBay, they say its past the money back guarantee period. Seller is still live and working on eBay, my $50 dollars is gone.

In 2023 I bought from another seller a lot of silver coins, a few months later I sent them to NGC for grading. NGC writes to me that out of the 9 coins, one silver coin is fake and the other has a layer of glue. I wrote to the seller; he was evasive and refusing to take responsibility and eventually stopped answering. I wrote to eBay and of course they did not help, all I got were the automated compassion messages and the 30-day bull**bleep**. As if that policy will help, just sending my coins and getting a reply from NGC took over 90 days!

April 2024, I win a bid, upon bids end seller cancels the bid, do i get my coin? of course no, eBay again takes no action. I try to contact customer service, they tell me to make a report, i told them that i had already made it a week ago, the seller relisted the coin! no result!

While browsing for silver I come across fake American silver dollars being sold from China at silly prices, I report the sellers and again eBay takes no action.

I believe the website is going on a downward spiral, at least to me they have no credibility, there is no protection whatsoever, I requested to delete my account and i am going to do my business elsewhere.

The only help you will get from eBay is the below:

We know that this is concerning because the item that you have received is counterfeit. However, the best option to get the refund is by reaching out to the seller since they already have the funds for this item. Our buyer's are protected and our eBay money back guarantee only covers the item for up to 30 days only. You can read more about the policy using this link. https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

eBay is the worst platform in regards to protection from fraud and cheating and is getting worse

Sorry, but after 30 days, there's nothing Ebay will do.

To close your account, start here
https://www.ebay.com/help/account/changing-account-settings/closing-account-deleting-data?id=4199

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

When the 30 day money back guarantee has expired, you go to your payment source for the refund. You did that, correct?

We get 30 days from eBay, no more, no less.

Posting ID
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Buying online does give you many advantages in buying but you must take some responsibility if you decide to make a purchase. As others have stated, you were covered within the 30 days. If you did not know that, you should of read the MBG BEFORE agreeing to terms. It never feels good to get ripped.  All platforms have ways to protect buyers and sellers. You should understand what they cover and what they don't so this will not happen again.

Sorry it happened to you.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Online marketplaces may differ in specific details like claims periods but buyers who do not know the marketplace policies and do not follow them can and do lose any protections they have.

Ebay has fewer barriers to entry for sellers, and as such is more likely to have ignorant sellers than some other sites, but bad people exist online, in B&M retail or at flea markets. And buyers who do not protect themselves by knowing the procedures and following them, fall victim to bad people.

You probably should not be buying coins online if you cannot spot a counterfeit and have to wait months until NGC tells you.

You may have reached the appropriate decision by ceasing to buy here.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

And you are such an expert who can not spot a fake coin online from two pictures?

When a seller guarantees a coin is authentic, there should not be a period for the guarantee, and should take responsibility for his guarantee!

I am a collector for over 30 years in the hobby and yes I can not always spot a counterfeit coin, and yes we sometimes need NGC, I do not believe they would have existed if we were all able to find counterfeits.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

You had 30 days to file an MBG claim on the coins after you received it.

That should have been long enough if you had enough expertise to buy online.

NGC like all 3P graders makes mistakes too. If you cannot rely on your knowledge after 30 years in the hobby, you should not be buying from strangers.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I know about the 30 day policy (you sound a lot like the online help on eBay).

You need to understand, when a seller claims his piece is authentic and guarantees that, then he or she has to take responsibility especially when there is evidence of the claim. The platform has and must act when there is evidence. A wrong doing is a wrong doing, there is no time period to that. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You sound like the online assistant, process for closing already started.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It's possible because you are listed as living in Lebanon.

And was the item going "freight forward"?

That could be why auction was cancel. Just a thought.

30 days money back guarantee is the time frame to return something.

Perhaps purchasing from sellers in your country might help in that time frame.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@abbham_6 wrote:

You need to understand, when a seller claims his piece is authentic and guarantees that, then he or she has to take responsibility especially when there is evidence of the claim. The platform has and must act when there is evidence. A wrong doing is a wrong doing, there is no time period to that. 

You need to understand that a 30 day guarantee is just that, 30 days. A buyer has 30 days to file a claim.

The platform will take action within 30 days and has no obligation to act after 30 days. 

There is in fact a time period for filing a return case.  When a buyer understands that, they are less frustrated when they take action within 30 days from delivery.

Filing a case with your banking institution is what takes place when a buyer neglects to take action within 30 days from delivery.  

Posting ID
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@abbham_6 wrote:

I know about the 30 day policy (you sound a lot like the online help on eBay). If you understood the policy, than you may want to brush up on your coin collecting skills. (you sound a lot like my ex wife)

You need to understand, when a seller claims his piece is authentic and guarantees that, then he or she has to take responsibility especially when there is evidence of the claim. They would be responsible if taken care of within the 30 day MBG. I don't know how else to break it to you. Sorry.

The platform has and must act when there is evidence. A wrong doing is a wrong doing, there is no time period to that. I think your issue is with the seller. Could you take them to small claim court? The platform did offer you an out but you decided not to act within a reasonable amount of time.

Maybe the seller made a mistake. Maybe the source that authenticated it for you was wrong. Maybe it is authentic but someone has buyers remorse. Maybe it was switched while being authenticated.  I don't know the answers to them but i do know how it could of been handled better. Again, sorry this happened to you. I know i would feel terrible if i failed to protect myself. Live and learn. Good luck.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@abbham_6 wrote:

They do act, as long as it's within 30 days of receiving the item.

Have a great day.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply