cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the 25th anniversary gift coupon by eBay is useless to me

Here is why the ebay coupon is useless to me. I have been with eBay since 1998 as a seller, and earlier, as a buyer. 

I received a coupon that can only be used to purchase items from 12 selected sellers - selected by eBay, to be precise. Most of these sellers - with the exception of a couple of them, like the reebok store - are pushing cheap, China-made dropship items, priced approx. 200% - 400% over the retail elsewhere. 

I find this is quite ridiculous, given that even the occasional eBay bucks would give you around 10% off of ANYTHING you buy. For example, I have set my eyes on a new vacuum cleaner, currently priced as 89.99 I would have probably bought it with the 25% off, but unfortunately, that seller is not on eBay's list. 

So, thank you for nothing, eBay, Your anniversary gift is useless to me. Even if I would be desperate enough to spend some money in one of the stores, the size I need is unavailable, or the color is sold out, or the feedback of that seller scares me. I feel that at least letting us decide from whom we wish to buy something, would have been nice. 

PW😁🐿

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Why the 25th anniversary gift coupon by eBay is useless to me

Glad I didn't even take time to look at mine.  Thank you for the heads up.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

You might want to look at your coupon. Some members got a coupon worth $25 with any seller.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

There were actually two different coupons.  One which not everyone got was for $25 off of anything with restrictions; the caveats made it very painful for me to use, but eventually I made it work.  The other was a much more general 25% discount from certain products and sellers.  That one I will most likely not use, because said products are not of interest to me.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 4 of 43
latest reply

eBay (along with many other online retailers) runs promos all the time that are of no use to me: promos for the app only; promos for specific brands I don't use; promos for refurbished items only, which I don't buy; promos for specific sellers who offer items that don't interest me. The list is endless. If I started a thread for every promo that disappointed me, I'd fill up the Buying board.

But I'm thankful for the promos I can use.

(Just FYI, my coupon didn't have the restrictions you described.)

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

I looked at my $25 coupon, read the terms & conditions, and there were no restrictions regarding categories or seller other than:

Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, Vehicles in eBay Motors, and Real Estate categories

NO mention of seller restrictions. My purchase was made up of items from different sellers.

You must be looking at a different coupon.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

That is the coupon I received.  Limited to fixed price listing, and over $25.01

It does NOT work for me.  I have tried it 3 different times, and even used that "Tell us what you think" statement.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

@disneyshopper   Did you try entering HAPPY25 rather than PARTY25?

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

I used mine with no issues & had the same as you (Purchase total must be at least $25.01)

No "certain sellers" restrictions whatsoever.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

its very sucky of ebay to pick and chose who gets it

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:

There were actually two different coupons.  One which not everyone got was for $25 off of anything with restrictions; the caveats made it very painful for me to use, but eventually I made it work.  The other was a much more general 25% discount from certain products and sellers.  That one I will most likely not use, because said products are not of interest to me.

That may explain what I stated in the opening post. In the list of 12 or so sellers from whom I could have purchased something in order to use my 25% off coupon, only three had quality merchandise, reebok_official, vipoutlet
samsonite. Since I do not need any of their items, I did not use the coupon. 

Thanks for sharing, at least I know I was not the only one. 

PW🤔🐿

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@pburn wrote: If I started a thread for every promo that disappointed me, I'd fill up the Buying board.

But I'm thankful for the promos I can use.

(Just FYI, my coupon didn't have the restrictions you described.)

Just FYI, I am happy to hear you could use yours and it did not come with the restrictions mine has. Apparently, after having been a highly reliable eBay seller since 1998 with a combined total of close to 10,000 positive feedback (at one point, I was a Power Seller, and a TRS several times), eBay did not think I deserve a less restrictive coupon. 

As for starting a new thread about every coupon: that is indeed, not necessary. However,

(1) this is the first time I did mention a coupon in my posts, and

(2) this is not just SOME KIND of a coupon - it is supposed to celebrate 25 or close to 25 year of presence on eBay! Chances that I will be around another 25 years from now are not too good, not to mention, a lot can happen until then to other aspects of life, for everyone involved, including my business activities and that of eBay. So, this was pretty much the ONLY chance by eBay to give out signs of appreciation to those who have been toiling away for it, so that their CEOs can take a 57 Million bucks severance package and there is still money left to invest. That eBay cannot give out an unrestricted 25$ coupon or gift certificate for the purpose of purchasing an item on which they would still earn money - that tells a lot.

You are certainly entitled to your views, while I am entitled to mine. It is all just a question of expectations and failing the best among the best, time and time again. Nothing new under the sun.

In my view, these boards would be a much nicer place if some people would not try to mandate for other people what, when and how they should post (give or take the community rules that apply to all of us, and to some, apply more than to others).

I will certainly survive the fact that this coupon was, for me, useless. But now at least I know that it was not just me who felt this way.

Happy holiday evening

PW

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

Glad I didn't even take time to look at mine.  Thank you for the heads up.

@redmodelt 

You may want to take the time to actually look at your coupon.  The one I received was not as the OP described.  I could use it on any BIN listing, but it expires on the 10th, so you may want to find that email and take a peek.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@disneyshopper 

Below is the TOS for that coupon.

If for some reason you can't find anything else you need, it does work for Ebay branded shipping supplies.

26.JPG

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

While I have no idea what criteria Ebay goes to when selecting members to receive these coupons or any promo for that matter.  I think you are taking this entirely too personal.  It is unlikely that Ebay is trying to disrespect you or your history with the site.

I know I've not received certain promos that other have reported getting many times over the year.  One's I knew I would be able to use, except I did not get a notice saying they were extending that offer to me.  That is just the way Ebay does things and I really doubt it is meant to slight anyone in any way.  

Kind of the luck of the draw and sometimes I'm just not lucky enough to get some of those nice promos sometimes.  I don't however get upset about it.  I just move on.  But that is just me and the way I do things.  For other I respect they may not feel the same.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply