cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't American buyers purchase at a virtual address in a non-tax state such as New Hampshire?

Why don't American buyers purchase at a virtual address in a non-tax state such as New Hampshire and then ask the USPS to forward it to their real address so they can avoid value added taxes while purchasing?

me myself i have a tax ID so i can avoid it

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Why don't American buyers purchase at a virtual address in a non-tax state such as New Hampshire?

Three reasons I don't do that:

1.    It would be dishonest to do so.

2.   I want to receive the things I purchase promptly, rather than wait through a forwarding time.

3.   I think it's a good thing for my own state to receive sales taxes.  

But that's just me.  

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

It is technically illegal and if the volume raises a red flag, it can prompt an enquiry. You are *supposed* to auto declare the tax on your return. Otherwise it is considered tax evasion.

This guy did just that and was condemned for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/05/business/ex-tyco-chief-is-indicted-in-tax-case.html

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

@dakbat-61 

< so they can avoid value added taxes while purchasing >    

Your feedback profile page shows your location as the United States, but are you actually somewhere else?  We don't have value added taxes in the US.  

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

Well, I for one don't do that because it is breaking the law, and would take forever to get the stuff I ordered.  Plus twice the chance for breakage or loss in the postal system.  But mainly because it is illegal.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Why? Laws.

My state requires that I declare (make restitution for) any items that I purchase "out of state" and bring into state for my use that had lower tax/no tax.

Bought my car in Guam. (no tax)  Brought it to Michigan and had to pay sales tax when reregistering there. Retired, and moved back home. Had to pay additional sales tax (difference from Mich to my state) when reregistering.

There are laws, and there are scofflaws.  Some workarounds are legal. Some are not.

What is your next "what-if?  Would it be a "what-if" everyone just got a tax ID to avoid tax on everything?

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

Spending 9 1/4% (sales tax) on a purchase is cheaper than reshipping the items to me from NH. Plus, to me... faster.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

So, USPS will allow you to forward from a "virtual address" in New Hampshire ?

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

There is no value-added tax in the USA, and anyone who has a sales tax license in the USA should know that.

They would also know that if a buyer doesn't pay sales tax on a purchase, then they are required by law to pay use tax instead, which is exactly the same rate as the sales tax would have been.

Your questions are not hypothetical, they are disingenuous and therefore dishonest. You questions are exploring ways to cheat and scam. You're not looking for help, you are trying to learn how to be a scammer.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

If you bring an item into your state, you do owe the taxes.   There is a place on your state income tax form to declare such purchases so the tax can be paid.

If your using that tax id for personal purchases, you are breaking the law.  You could face a tax evasion charges.

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

Thank you for the accusations. If I had the same logic as you, I would have sued you for these accusations

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

Breaking the law!!! ? 
are you serious? Are you sure?
look at the respect to law that US police is doing these days in Universities
Say hello to the laws
no ideal world here man

😊

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

Just because our government has forgotten about Kent State doesn’t mean tax evasion is okay…

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

Breaking the law!!! ? 
are you serious? Are you sure?
look at the respect to law that US police is doing these days in Universities
Say hello to the laws
no ideal world here man

😊

Yes.  I am sure.  It is breaking the law.  Just because you think it would be alright in this case doesn't mean it is not breaking the law.  And some of us still have respect for laws.  

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

Short answer is that most don’t because it doesn’t make sense.  I’d save 7% on sales tax and lose 15% on extra shipping and a service to relabel and ship.  That’s even if such services exist.  

people do this on their own IF they are close to a border with a no-tax state - just get a real mail location or PO Box, buy online, and save plenty on sales tax.  No virtual address needed.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply