cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Hi. I'm trying to BIN on 2 small items. I'm using 2 eBay Gift Cards that I have used in the past that have small balances on them., and 2 newer cards that have full balances on them(I checked their balance). When I go to check out I apply the eBay Gift Cards that cover the full cost but the blue Payment button never turns blue to pay.  I'm not able to complete the purchase.

When I add my info to pay with a debit card...the Payment button turns blue to make payment. 

So...what has changed? The payment screen looks a little different, but it has been since Christmas that I have bought anything here. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Using eBay Gift Cards?

What are you trying to buy?

There are some items you can't buy using gift cards.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Thanks for you reply! Nothing on the restricted lists...coins, currency, etc. 1 item is a pack of Sharpies.  I did chat with someone from eBay and was told they are having some issues on their end. I did try to make the purchase again and got the same result. I'll just have to keep coming back a trying again. 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Same. This started last night since I made a gift card purchase earlier in the day yesterday. For some reason, the payment page is assuming you're also trying to make a donation. I've been trying to pay for some auction items from last night. You apply the gift card but the Pay Now button turns gray. If you scroll down, you'll see the donation area telling you that you can't make a donation with a gift card, etc and it stops you. I hope ebay fixes this quickly as I purchased a more expensive item simply because I had a gift card.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

I am having the exact same problem, which started last night. I use eBay gift cards to pay most often, but now it will no longer let me complete the checkout once I load the gift card, which fully covers the whole balance. It is very frustrating. The "Pay now" button turns grey instead of blue, and it will not let me click on it.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

@rjkollectables, @susa.alfan , @japhyl19 ,

Maybe the link below for using ebay gift cards FAQs will contain an answer. Under the Where can I get help... header is a Here  button that may help you to troubleshoot the issue.  Since 3 of you have had the same problem, maybe there is a glitch in the system that is taking awhile to fix.

https://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/faqs.html

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Still doing the same thing.  I see the donation prompt and selected None but no change.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Still doing the same thing.

Bottom prompt statement: To apply a donation, you can't be using gift cards, coupons, eBay Bucks, or reward points. Even when selecting None.

Also, the Place Your Order button is still grayed out.

The CS rep I chatted with said it was something on the backend, and techs were working on it.

Hopefully, Ebay is not discontinuing the use of their own gift cards.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Same here.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Same here, still today 4/05/2024 I tried again to pay with new gift card and the Place Order button is grayed out. I've checked the balance and it is fine with total on card.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Same issue here for 3 days now.  Talked to a great Ebay Rep on the phone and he said there are alot of accounts having this issue.  He said they are working on it and its a high priority issue.  He gave no estimation on when its going to be corrected.  We even went through the checkout process while on the phone with him so he could see exactly what was going on.  It has nothing to do with any type of item you are purchasing, its just a glitch that I sure hope gets fixed pretty quick because I have a ton of auctions I wanted to bid on this weekend.  I have also found this issue has surfaced before going back several years so I would think they would know what the quick fix would be since this is not a new problem.  But this is the third day for me without being able to buy anything.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

I managed to buy everything last night but not because it was fixed. I couldn't use the gift card if it covered the whole purchase. It occurred to me that one of my gift cards wouldn't cover one of my purchases completely so I was able to use that GC and used Paypal for the difference. I then had 2 separate purchases (two diff sellers) for under $20 each so I couldn't use my $25 GC. I emptied my ebay cart of everything but the 2 purchases and clicked on Pay so now my combined order was $40ish and it accepted my GC and I paid the difference with Paypal. I don't like doing that, but it worked so that I could use my gift cards.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

I'm in the same boat, trying to use a card to cover the full purchase but can't finish cause the system thinks I'm making a donation even with no amount selected. Also talked to a US based rep after confusing a overseas contract rep over this issue, was told they are working on it.  Seems like it tarted when this pop up:

The OR Foundation ---
Help The Or Foundation to clean up fashion's waste crisis through community-powered material innovation. PayPal Giving Fund (PPGF) receives your donation and grants 100% to a charity no later than 30 days after the end of the month in which the donation is made. Donations are non-refundable and typically tax deductible. PPGF may be unable to grant funds to a charity if the charity has lost tax exempt status, has closed, or no longer accepts funds from PPGF.
I don't understand how they can't just turn something like this off as easily as they can remove a listing over a simple use of a few words that actually (cleanly, correctly & porperly) discrbes the item. I would really like to buy the item I'm trying to buy but it seems like they really want me to make a donation with money from another form even though I don't want to donate.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

I am starting to wonder if Ebay is trying to force everyone to start paying by debit and credit cards and do away with gift card purchases all together.  I use to always pay for my ebay purchases with prepaid Visa gift cards but those quit working last summer.  Couldnt register them on PayPal or on Ebay.  I switched to the Ebay gift cards and now having issues getting those to work also.  This is NOT something Ebay has never seen before.  I can find topics here that are several years old dealing with the same exact issue so it cant be that difficult to fix.  I refuse to provide a bank account number or credit card number to finish using the amount left on my gift card.  That defeats the whole purpose of me buying the card in the first place..

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Using eBay Gift Cards?

Hopefully, it is just a backend issue.

But if it is not, what happens to all the buyers with giftcard balances and unused giftcards with money on them?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply