cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking shows item delivered but wasn't

I was notified my $70+ package was delivered but it was not.  I called my local USPS office and was told the tracking number given me was not correct, even though the package was shipped from the same city and arrived in my town on the same day I expected it.  They said it had been delivered to another address a few miles from me and their job is complete.  They told me to contact EBay.  So I did and they told me the seller must have mislabeled it and a lot of other nonsense about how their refund system works.  And I admit I got agitated, because I was seeing this as an immediate problem and was hoping if someone could figure out what went wrong it could be corrected before the package even got opened by the wrong person, but I didn't expect to be hung up on, which is what happened.  And I know that if delivery is shown, I am probably ___ out of luck as far as getting any help from EBay.   My address has NOT changed in two decades and I have successfully received numerous purchased from EBay with very few glitches, so what went wrong and what do I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Need to contact seller.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I did.  So far, no reply.  Could this be a scam?  By sending a package with who knows what inside to possibly a random address in my town, the seller knows tracking makes it hard for me to hold him responsible.  Also, I am suspicious that the seller contacted me before the package was even mailed.  There were several grammatical errors, but basically, he wanted to thank me for my purchase, let me know tracking would be added sometime after the package was sent, and ask me to be patient and not open a case if shipping didn't happen quickly, suggesting USPS may be slow.  I don't usually get communication from sellers unless I initiate it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Seller is in USA? Has some feedbacks? How new is seller?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You're quite likely a victim of the fake tracking scam. The seller ships a worthless trinket to an address in your zip code so it shows delivered and you lose your eBay case. You need to go back to USPS and ask them if the package was actually addressed to your address. If it wasn't, you need to read the Best Answer in the following thread and follow the instructions:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Fake-Tracking-information/m-p/34266951#M475809

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@thecl.thecl,

How did you contact ebay?  If you looked up a customer service number online, you were not speaking to anyone connected with ebay in any way.

" And I know that if delivery is shown, I am probably ___ out of luck as far as getting any help from Bay". 

Oh yea of little faith.  As @kathiec wrote: eBay's initial Item Not Received (INR) system is computerized, and their computer looks for a Delivered scan the only info it can access. If it sees one it denies the claim. However, when you open an INR claim you will see it on your My ebay summary page above your purchase history.  If you click on it, after the message saying the dispute was closed, there is an Appeal button. 

In order to win the appeal, you need follow the instructions I wrote in the link provided by kathiec.  Get a note from the P.O. and attach it to the Appeal after writing out what happened. Then you will be refunded.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Seller is located in U.S., is fairly new, and has mostly good feedback, but some delayed and unreceived reports, though nothing showing item sent to wrong address.  It appears that poor feedback came from buyers of somewhat expensive items.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

qeqo_0
Thrill-Seeker

@thecl.thecl wrote:

They said it had been delivered to another address a few miles from me and their job is complete. 

If the item was delivered to the wrong address

use "the item was delivered to the wrong address"

to file a dispute here like this:

qeqo_0_0-1715723636461.jpeg

Your seller may respond to the dispute with the fake tracking that says Delivered, like this:

qeqo_0_1-1715724074438.jpeg

After looking into the fake tracking, your refund will be issued, like this:

qeqo_0_2-1715724233675.jpeg

Do not contact eBay or the seller any more @thecl.thecl and just wait for your refund. Or contact your card issuer for same.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply