cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange things going on at ebay.

This is about auctions. I recently bid on an item. I bid $10. A couple of days later I thought the item might go higher. So, I made my max bid of $20. I repeat MAX BID, $20.! For however long the auction lasted the bids never went over $10. Matter of fact there were no other bids. At the last second the bid was made for $45. Remember my max bid was $20. According to ebay my max bid was $45. I never changed my max bid. How did it get changed? I'm wondering if a person who's auctioning off something can see how the auction is going and say, have a separate account and can make a high bid in order to get more money for their junk? If they could see that the item was going to go for $10, then at the last second make a bid that would beat "my" bid. Even though my max bid was $20.  So how did my max bid get changed to begin with? If someone had bid $45 then they could have it. I wasn't worth that much to me. So, can a seller change my max bid? Then bid just high enough to lose the auction but to increase the price of the item. If that's going on it has to be someone working for EBAY. I hope that's not the case. I called ebay, they told me that the high bid was made from my device. That's not at all true. My PC and only I can use it. All my passwords are private. Besides it's just my wife and I here, no one else.  BIG LIES all around. I feel like I've been scammed.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Strange things going on at ebay.

So the other bidder had to bid at least $45.01.  Makes sense, but I thought a bid wouldn't even be accepted or show up as a bid if it wasn't higher than the standing bid.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Got it, thanks!

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

@steel_9528 wrote:

Also, I was the original bidder. I started the bidding at $10, on the 19th. a couple of days later I increased my max bid to $20, I was willing to pay $20 but no higher. Somehow the max bid was changed. That's the whole problem. How or who changed it? No other bids came in until the last second. I know that happens. Snipers!  This is the point. If a seller knows the "my" max bid was $45 and bid that amount without going over, then the seller could jack up the price to get more money for Their junk without winning the auction. 

No, it was a couple of HOURS later that you upped your proxy bid, not a couple of days later. 

And your first OPENING bid was $20, not $10. The bidding showed and stayed at $10 for 4 days until someone overbid your proxy bid. 

5***9Feedback Score (75)
$45.00
22 Mar 2024 at 9:42:25am PDT
r***4Feedback Score (53)
$45.00
26 Mar 2024 at 5:12:12pm PDT
5***9Feedback Score (75)
$20.00
22 Mar 2024 at 9:40:19am PDT
Starting price
$10.00
19 Mar 2024 at 5:12:15pm PDT
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Good point "mixed"! 

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

I'm sorry, you are mistaken. I met the starting price of $10 on my opening bid. No one had bid on it until I bid $10. This was done on the 19th, on the 22nd I increased my bid to $20. Never $45!

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

Also, (22 Mar 2024 at 9:40:19am PDT) then (22 Mar 2024 at 9:42:25am PDT) is two minutes +/-, not two hours. What you said was misinformation. Why would I, in two minutes change my max bid to $45 when I was already winning at $20? Did anyone actually out bid my "proxy bid"? If so, they should have won, the auction. This is assuming I actually did make a max bid of $45, which I DID NOT!

Message 21 of 42
latest reply

Who made my bids? Me or someone else? Did you make the bids? Did Ebay? Where is the document that gives my permission to bid?? Proxy? This is getting out of bounds! I know what I did or didn't do. The rest is speculation. 
Message 22 of 42
latest reply

Sorry, I think you are confused, you bid $20, not $10. And there is positively no way for anyone, including Ebay to change your bid.Then you bid $45.

5***9Feedback Score (75)
$45.00
22 Mar 2024 at 9:42:25am PDT
r***4Feedback Score (53)
$45.00
26 Mar 2024 at 5:12:12pm PDT
5***9Feedback Score (75)
$20.00
22 Mar 2024 at 9:40:19am PDT
Starting price
$10.00
19 Mar 2024 at 5:12:15pm PDT

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 23 of 42
latest reply

@steel_9528 wrote:

Also, (22 Mar 2024 at 9:40:19am PDT) then (22 Mar 2024 at 9:42:25am PDT) is two minutes +/-, not two hours. What you said was misinformation. Why would I, in two minutes change my max bid to $45 when I was already winning at $20? Did anyone actually out bid my "proxy bid"? If so, they should have won, the auction. This is assuming I actually did make a max bid of $45, which I DID NOT!

And why would you change your max bid to $20 when you were already winning at $10? It's quite common for bidders to increase their currently winning bid to ensure it stays winning. Ebay actually adds a message to bid confirmation boxes exhorting the bidder to bid again to increase their chances of winning.

There's zero indication of anything hinky with the second bidder. They only have 3% of bids with the seller. Given the number of bids they'd made, all in Coins & Paper Money, that likely equates to the one bid on this listing. They bid $45, and because in the case of ties the earlier bids wins, your $45 bid won. And there is absolutely nothing to indicate this is an eBay employee secretly bidding up auctions.

As for the " documentation giving your permission to bid", you gave eBay that permission when you signed up. And yes, eBay can tell you the IP address of every bid. So if eBay says it was done on your device, they have the data to back that up.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@steel_9528 wrote:
Who made my bids? Me or someone else? Did you make the bids? Did Ebay? Where is the document that gives my permission to bid?? Proxy? This is getting out of bounds! I know what I did or didn't do. The rest is speculation. 

@steel_9528 

Would you please check something out that could help VERIFY to eBay that you didn't place the $45 bid?

Go to your My eBay and look under Bids & Offers.  It will show the Maximum bids you've placed on auctions.  [I'm not sure if it will still show the bids you placed on ENDED auctions ... but it's worth a try.  🙂]

[BTW, a 'Proxy bid' is just another term for 'Maximum bid' ... nothing more.]

There IS something odd about the Bid History in that auction.  When you select 'Show automatic bids' ... it does NOT show any change from 'Hide automatic bids'.  Neither does it show that anybody bid $10. 

[It shows your 1st bid to be $20 ... and that you made a $45 bid 2 minutes 4 seconds later.  It shows that the other bidder placed their $45 bid 3 seconds before the auction ended.]

Anyway, see what you find under Bids & Offers about your Max bid.  You will need EVIDENCE that something hinky occurred before eBay will take notice.  Hopefully, you will be able to find it.  🙂

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

Again, "Who made my bids? Me or someone else? Did you make the bids? Did Ebay? Where is the document that gives my permission to bid?? Proxy? This is getting out of bounds! I know what I did or didn't do. The rest is speculation." 

Sorry, at this point I'm not interested in opinions. They aren't helping! 

Thank you all for trying to assist me in this issue. May the Lord my God, bless you all!

Please, forgive me, for any ill-will, that may have happened in the above thread. It was unintentional.  

I shouldn't let this world influence me like that. We live in a world unlike anything we've ever had to live in before. Any person can hack into anything they want to if they have the ability to do so. There aren't any safeguards against an ingenious fool can't overcome. I'm done with this. I just pray something good has transpired from all this confusion. Later!

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

If you will find that listing in your Purchase History, then go to the Bid History, be sure to click on "hidden bids", you will see that you  did indeed bid $45.  

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

First bid for $20 was placed on 22 Mar 2024 at 9:40:19am PDT

Second bid for $45 was placed on 22 Mar 2024 at 9:42:25am PDT about 2 min later

This is my theory:

You placed the first bid. eBay had that confirmed bid pop-up that asks you if you want to increase your max bid. On the popup where you place a bid they show some "buttons" with prefilled amounts right above the box where you can manually enter an amount.

I think you placed the first bid, then accidentally clicked on one of those pre-set price buttons and unknowingly increased your bid almost immediately after placing the first.

When you go to your eBay messages, do you see multiple bid confirmation emails on March 22? Do you see any bid confirmation emails that mention you bid $45?

https://mesg.ebay.com/mesgweb/ViewMessages/0/ebay

Edit to add: The seller does accept returns so you could return the lot. You would be out shipping both ways, but that expense may be worth it if you think the coins are not that valuable @steel_9528 . Or if the seller has not yet shipped you can request an order cancellation letting them know there was an error with your bid. If you have not paid yet, you could accept an unpaid item strike should the seller decline your message asking to cancel.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 28 of 42
latest reply

There's nothing under bids and offers. When I clicked history of bids and offers, "Bidding-Show all items" the whole this disappeared. Didn't show anything about anything. Just vanished. 

Last night when I click show hidden bids it showed where the other bidder had made several bids, last of $45. Today it shows none of that. Who cleared that information. Not me. I wouldn't know how. You may think I'm making this up, I assure you I'm not. Several people have said the bid history looks funny. 

As I've already said I'm done. This will be my last post. For really real this time!

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

Its an unsolved mystery(not really).

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 30 of 42
latest reply