cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who get insulted by low offers.

I found an interesting comment from 2019 where someone was complaining that it’s rude for a seller not to reply to an offer and allow it to expire - andI would agree with that. It takes one tap of the thumb to decline an offer. And if you are so insulted by the offer, block them. But that’s not what caught my attention. It was a reply from someone who then said “have you considered your offer - is it reasonable?”

Well, I will admit that I have at times made lowball offers to sellers, and keep in mind I myself have a store. And there are a fair number of occasions when the seller has accepted that offer. So one never knows what a seller is willing to accept on an item, unless they have a history with that seller.  Now I will also admit, that my first reaction to a lowball offer generally is to feel a little annoyed, but then I remind myself of what I’ve just stated above. It’s just the nature of the beast.

I would ask that woman have you considered if your listing price is reasonable? 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Sellers who get insulted by low offers.

Kathiec, I hope this is  better. TY for your patience.

In the final analysis an item's market value is something determined between the seller and buyer. I buy coins, stamps, baseball cards etc. (what I am saying here, applies to all collectibles in the market - generally). The Valuation Guides (VG's) are just that - guides. There are no hard and fast valuations for most items - specifically. VG's are very general in nature. They sometimes overstate and sometimes understate selling and buying prices. Other times they prove to be very accurate. 

The Grey Sheet (GS) for U.S. coins is, in all likelihood, the most trustworthy guide to the selling and buying prices of any items that have published valuations - in the entire world. There aren't many "in the know"  numismatists who would argue with this. But even with the GS (which is a weekly price guide - 52 issues a year is a lot - many guides are published monthly, quarterly or annually) 1 can many times buy certain coins for far less (20-30 %) and sell certain coins for far more than listed GS valuations (GSV). 

If a coin seller is trying to sell his coins at GSV and they are not selling and he wants them to, his only choice is to lower his prices until they sell, or take them off the market. The risk in this is: when he puts them back on the market the GS may have lowered their prices. The "in the know" buyer/seller is aware of these market nuances. 

I've offered 50% and less of an eBay coin seller's asking price and it was accepted on my 1st offer. Others with BIN - OBO listings consider a 10 or 20% discount their limit. 

I go by 2 things when buying: 1) The most trusted VG's  2) My personal knowledge of the market. The latter is crucial. Here's an example: The Copper-Nickel 1978 Liberia  2 cent proof coin. They are listed in NGC online price guide for $2 each. They can't be had for $2. They have a mintage of only 7,300. The trackers of the sales of World Coins see little to no buying/selling activity of these coins, in part due to their low mintages,  and also, not enough interested buyers. There's little demand on the part of collectors to provide accurate up to date information. The publishers of the VG's won't invest time and effort tracking selling prices for coins that so few have interest in. From experience I am aware that these coins sell for $8 to $12 each on average (not $2 each). Sometimes selling for $15 to $20 each. Do a web search for these coins. They're larger than a U.S 1/2 Dollar. They're beautiful coins front and back. Picturing an African Elephant on the front (A very popular motif) and an attractive tropical scene with a blazing sun, ship on the ocean and large palm tree on the back. They have exceptional eye appeal, especially the proof cameos with the heavily frosted raised features and highly reflective mirror fields. This is only 1 example. The same/similar facts are true for many World Coins. I could name many other relevant facts that affect valuations that can't be conveyed by VG's. It takes personal knowledge of the marketplace. 

It also needs to be understood that eBay is about 20% of the numismatic marketplace. All parts of the market place need to be taken into account when considering a coin's or any item's market value. 

The following is a generic disclaimer made in almost all price guides of any sort. 

Disclaimer: The prices listed in this guide are compiled from a number of independent and third party sources believed to be reliable. They're averages only. These prices are updated over time. Changes can be quite dramatic over short periods or remain the same over long periods, due to the difficult to predict nature of the marketplace. This is especially true for rarer items, where there are fewer sales and greater variations in sale prices. For all of these reasons (and more not mentioned) the prices in this guide are designed to serve merely as one of many measures and factors that buyers and sellers should use in determining values. Prices should not be relied upon, to replace the due diligence and expert consultation that buyers and sellers should exercise when concluding any transaction. 

Thanks for letting me share - Johnny
Message 31 of 33
latest reply

You are correct, I do not offer “or best offer”  on any of my listings.  My philosophy is this. - if you’re setting an expectation for a price why would you undermine yourself by announcing that there is flexibility in your pricing. Whenever I am interested in buying something from a seller on eBay and they have the best offer available I always make an offer. I never buy the item, because I assume that they have wiggle room within their pricing or they wouldn’t be excepting offers. So this reasoning leads me to believe that anybody offering best offer, has already built in to their price, the assumption that they will have to accept an offer. To me that just sounds like a game and my time is too valuable to play games.

However, whenever someone watches one of my items, I will almost 100% of the time make an offer to that party, because I know that they have an interest in the item regardless of the price. I sell vintage jewelry, and it’s a very subjective business regarding pricing. I do not sell my items cheaply because I know, in order to be profitable at all, the prices, I’m asking are necessary. And there’s one thing that I learned from all my years in sales, that non-necessity purchases are made based on emotion. Why do women spend hundreds of dollars on a handbag?  it’s not because the bag holds that value because we know that the $600 purse that you purchased, cost maybe $100 in goods and labor. So, my strategy is to find items that have a uniqueness, or are a relatively rare item and hope that this triggers an emotion in a buyer if they are interested enough to watch that item, then it’s worth my time to make an offer. 75% of those offers made result in nothing but 25% result in a cell and I have been successful, in turning a decent profit from the items that I sell 

I spend my time figuring out how to generate traffic to my store instead of responding to low ball offers all day long. I find that it is very discouraging and deflating to be receiving ridiculous offers from people who really aren’t emotionally infected whatsoever in your product.

I can’t tell you, if this is the best strategy for making the most sales or the most profit for that matter. But I do know that it works for me relative to my objectives and it has allowed me to stay in this business and an actually enjoy it for over 10 years.

People are motivated by different things. And it really depends a lot upon how critical income from your eBay store is to you.  Fortunately, I am in a position to be able to sit and wait for the right customer to come along which was not always the case so I understand that my strategy is not the strategy for all sellers. It really comes down to finding a way to operate in a way that meets your needs for your situation.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 33 of 33
latest reply