cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers who don't respond to "Best Offer"

I'm frustrated with sellers who offer " best offer" and when you make an offer they don't respond either to reject or make counteroffer.  It leave the buyer hanging out there unable to move on to another bid until the offer time runs out 2 days later. 

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Sellers who don't respond to "Best Offer"

As a seller I enjoy the best offer feature.
But I get a lot of ridiculously low offers, often when I counter the low offers some are seriously only a 5 dollar difference than the offer, I often get no response until the offer expires.
Someone actually got nasty with me last week because I countered before a sale started, the difference between my counter and the sale price was 1 penny. They were also kind enough to let me know that the item relisted many times.
Message 16 of 60
latest reply

@nightwolf001 wrote:

Do you get some kind of strike against you if you retract an offer?

No.  Buyers are a protected species.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

@felifoll wrote:

A retracted BO does not affect the listing or the seller. Your anti-ebay, anti-buyer whining is not relevant to the OP's situation.

It sometimes makes me wonder with all the hatred towards buyers in this forum why some people bother to sell at all on eBay.  There's hardly a thread in this forum that doesn't have some snarky comment about buyers.  

Message 18 of 60
latest reply

dianna4600 wrote:

I'm frustrated with sellers who offer " best offer" and when you make an offer they don't respond either to reject or make counteroffer.  It leave the buyer hanging out there unable to move on to another bid until the offer time runs out 2 days later. 

This is exactly why many sellers hold off responding to a Best Offer!  It's good for two days.  What's the rush?  In the meantime, a BETTER offer could come in, or the item might sell for Full Asking Price. 

The Best Offer process works both ways but it doesn't work to push either side into rushing their portion of the interchange if they don't want to.  I know lots of sellers who let the full 48 hours run nearly to the end before addressing the offer, either to reject it, to counter it, or to accept it.

Buyers who are in a rush should probably just buy the items at their asking prices.  The *game* has rules, and either side gets to play, following those rules to the nth degree if they want to, including waiting out most of the two days an offer sits on the table before responding.  Or even, not responding at all. 

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

People who are in a hurry usually pay the asking price and try to negotiate a lower rate later with a mysterious flaw they found and they want a partial refund for.

Message 20 of 60
latest reply

I have ran across a couple  like that. Not many that have that attitude I hope cause it takes BOTH buyers and sellers. I definitely feel sometimes that a line is drawn.

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

A retracted BO does not affect the listing or the seller. Your anti-ebay, anti-buyer whining is not relevant to the OP's situation.

It sometimes makes me wonder with all the hatred towards buyers in this forum why some people bother to sell at all on eBay.  There's hardly a thread in this forum that doesn't have some snarky comment about buyers.  

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

The snarky and the negative thinkers are the ones that are most vocal. Obviously they are actually a minority. Yes, one might question why those posters are still here...or not. Think about it. Some people just have their heads in gripeland. Here, there, everywhere. But they do not speak for the majority.

We all run into a bad situation here there everywhere occasionally. Anyone who is having more negative experiences than positive have problems that only they have the answer to. Really.

I could focus on one or two horrible sellers and/or buyers I have run into here. What a waste of time.

Radine

Message 22 of 60
latest reply

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

Are you trying to say there aren't snarky comments made about sellers on the boards?  It goes both ways...the boards are equal opportunity for the most part.

Message 23 of 60
latest reply

@smick55 wrote:

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

Are you trying to say there aren't snarky comments made about sellers on the boards?  It goes both ways...the boards are equal opportunity for the most part.

I'm a seller, and the snarky comments I make are mainly directed to other sellers....you know, the ones who have been here waaaay  longer than me, sell waaaay more than me and still don't know you can't neg buyers, don't know how to file UIDs, have TOS terms from Hades and don't know what their dashboard is.

I happen to love my buyers. heart

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@prettypersian2014 wrote:

I have ran across a couple  like that. Not many that have that attitude I hope cause it takes BOTH buyers and sellers. I definitely feel sometimes that a line is drawn.

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

E-bay policies have something to do with it. They have a way of creating bad buyers and of course sellers are going to respond to it in a negative way. The way things are structured here it makes adverse relationship very easily.

Message 25 of 60
latest reply

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

/\ /\ /\

Yes.  And it creates a very bad impression.

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

I have gotten offers on items I do not have Best Offer on.  I appreciate the interest and always welcome

offers.  If it is an offer I can live with, I will accept it.  Otherwise I counter.  I have had a few good sales

that way.

Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding the situation a bit.

There is not "hatred" toward buyers in this forum.

However, there are, from what I've seen, quite a few who have taken a strong dislike to you.

Smiley Wink

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 28 of 60
latest reply

I think a lot of it is a failing attempt sometimes to continue to be patient with buyers who have obviously simply plunged into transacting business here with another complete stranger over the internet, and haven't bothered to read the policies that guide transactions here.. apparently at all.

Some are so lovely to answer, advise, guide, comfort, and give explanation to.  They appreciate it.   They thank those who have stepped in to give time to their problem.  They understand.  They learn.  They are a pleasure to welcome aboard, and to look forward to perhaps doing business with in the future. 

Those contrast with the uninformed and misinformed who come here angry, ranting and raving, argumentative and insistant, sometimes completely off the wall and absolutely refusing to take any responsibility for the mess they're in, and have created, and have drug their seller into as well.  They are costly and damaging and uncaring.  They want what they want, even when it isn't eBay policy, even when it isn't going to happen because they have made a mistake that can't be taken back, and very often.. when they are in the absolute wrong!

Exchange with buyers here covers a wide range, and the vast majority is not harsh, much of it is short and sweet, but not hurtful.  But it often isn't molly-coddling either, so buyers who are *tender souls* may be expecting mother's enfolding arms of comfort, and they don't usually find that here. 

As on all discussion boards, we're a wide range of personality types here from all walks of life and backgrounds.  But overall, there's a fabulously great education from all of this for any who spend some time reading and considering everything that is said.

I sure don't see much hatin' on the buyers... many of them are going to continue on eBay and become US in a short while.

Message 29 of 60
latest reply

Maybe it is time Ebay realizes they are the start of this and figure out how to promote a more positive enviroment. Turning people against one another is counter productive for many.

@wifiwiseguy wrote:

@prettypersian2014 wrote:

@nightwolf001 wrote:

@felifoll wrote:

E-bay policies have something to do with it. They have a way of creating bad buyers and of course sellers are going to respond to it in a negative way. The way things are structured here it makes adverse relationship very easily.

Message 30 of 60
latest reply