cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller taking buyer to court over negative feedback

I received a truck model for Christmas (I'm a collector) The seller charged 47.00 for shipping. When it arrived,the shipping box had a crushed side. When I opened it, the model box inside had 2 holes in it from the plastic sprues. The seller had packed all the pieces in such a way the model box lid would not close all the way.He then wrapped it tight with bubble wrap with the chrome sprues poking against the lid of the box. This ruined a hard to find model. Purchase price:  $260.00 We contacted seller about the problem and asked if he could help out with at least a little on shipping. He said he didn't understand what we were talking about. We then sent actual pictures of the damage. Never heard anything from him for a couple days. So we left a neg. feedback.He replied saying he offered a return. This was a gift. Not doing it. We explained on the feedback truthfully:His response was that we DEMANDED money and that we were a "competitor". It was just a simple purchase as a x-mas present that turned into this. He sent a registered letter complaining about the neg. feedback and wrote that extortion and harassment happen " all the time''on Ebay. Our feedback is 100 %  and his feedback shows 3 negatives (including ours) in the last 12 months. One buyer even calling him a "con man". We've never encountered anything like this on Ebay. Who is the extortionist? Seems like he is trying to give Ebay a black eye by using their name in this.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Seller taking buyer to court over negative feedback

So you asked the Seller to give you some of the Shipping Money back that you paid, and then he paid, because the Carrier Damaged the item? (You are ONLY surmising the 'lack of movement' 'packed so tight' etc. which sounds- to MOST sellers 'it's damaged I want SOME of the money back. 

You had 2 choices- keep it and live with it or return it for a refund.

You chose to 'keep it' (reason means NOTHING) and then you negged the seller because:

Too tight? 

Room to move?

Packing should be padded and tight and NOT be allowed to 'bang around'. He did what he was supposed to. 

As stated by others, you should have returned it (being a GIFT is NOT a reason- because if it was 'ruined' then WHO would want such a gift?? 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@8500rpmlaunch wrote:

Seller taking buyer to court over negative feedback

What's this about the seller taking you to court? Please tell us more about what's going on with that.

@8500rpmlaunch wrote:

... When it arrived,the shipping box had a crushed side. When I opened it, the model box inside had 2 holes in it from the plastic sprues. ... This ruined a hard to find model. ...

So, the only damage was that the original box for the model had "2 holes in it from the plastic sprues".  I went through your whole post, and that is the only damage that you described. Minor damage to the original box. That hardly amounts to "ruined a hard to find model".

Plastic items packaged in boxes have to be packaged for shipping, and they are put on shelves for storage and display in the shop before they are sold. There is always going to be shop wear on the box. You can't expect the original packaging to be in pristine condition for a collectible item that may be several decades old. That is unrealistic. If, as a collector, you need to have an item where the original box is in pristine condition, then don't buy it online (or don't complain afterwards). Buy it from a brick-and-mortar store, and if you have to fly across country to inspect it first, then so be it. That is your choice. You can't expect that kind of condition from an online sale that will be shipped to you. That is not realistic.

If the item was damaged during shipping, then you are entitled to a full refund. Most sellers are going to require that you return the item first, because there are too many scam buyers on eBay who will troll for a partial refund to get a discount, or just because they can. Sellers have to protect themselves, which means requiring items to be returned before giving a refund.

Most eBay users would consider that, if the item was damaged, then the buyer should return for a full refund. If the damage is so minor that you want to keep it, then you are really not entitled to a refund for it.

As a buyer, you should never ask for a partial refund, because it makes you look like a scam buyer who is out to cheat the seller. It's up to the seller if they want to offer a partial refund and let you keep the item. Buyers should never, ever, ask for a partial refund.

TL/DR:
If you're not willing to return the item for a full refund, then you should not leave a negative feedback.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@8500rpmlaunch wrote:

As for the packing, he had styrofoam peanuts so tightly packed around the model,along with the model parts not being fitted back in the box properly, lead to the damage.(no room for model to move around a little) When the box was handled roughly, the damage occured. 

That's exactly what you WANT when packing. You DON'T want the item "moving around a little" because that's what leads to damage.

The one and only item I ever had break in transit broke because it was not packaged properly inside its retail box (it was a new, unopened item) and so a small part was able to come loose and bounce around inside of the retail box and break despite being double-boxed for shipping.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

In my opinion, the issue is with the BUYER, not the seller! 

1. The seller charged 47.00 for shipping.

I don't care what the seller charged. You (as the buyer) agreed to it! 

2. We contacted seller about the problem and asked if he could help out with at least a little on shipping.

If I got this request, I'd report the buyer. Again, buyer agreed to the shipping price at the time of purchase. Additionally, "help on shipping" wouldn't change or fix the damage the buyer is alleging. 

3. He replied saying he offered a return.

You should have returned!

4. This was a gift. Not doing it.

You're claiming the condition wasn't giftable so why wouldn't you return it?

5. Our feedback is 100 %  and his feedback shows 3 negatives (including ours) in the last 12 months.

Since 2008, all buyers, even bad ones have 100% feedback. A buyer's 100% feedback doesn't mean a buyer is a good buyer.  As for the seller's 3 negs, it doesn't (necessarily) indicate a bad seller.  

6. Who is the extortionist? 

I disagree with your implication that it's the seller who is the extortionist. IMO, a buyer who asked for a refund of the shipping charges, doesn't get the requested credit then negs a seller is the extortionist. 

My conclusion is that the buyer wanted a lower price than he agreed to and paid for the item and tried to bully the seller into compliance. 

If an item is broken, damaged and not in gifting condition, a buyer who is sincerely unhappy returns that item! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@8500rpmlaunch 

@yuzuha wrote: 

You DON'T want the item "moving around a little" because that's what leads to damage.  

Ditto.  I bought a custom ordered set of DW drums a few years back.  Nobody, but nobody, packs better than Drum Workshop.  However, one of the bass drum spurs came off in transit, and bounced around a little.  It made a small scratch in the finish of the drum, but luckily the scratch was on the very bottom where it doesn't show. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@8500rpmlaunch wrote:

Who is the extortionist?

That would be you since asked the seller for money.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

You could have opened an item not as described case, although you do seem to admit that this was damage by the carrier and not by the seller.

". When it arrived, the shipping box had a crushed side."

what did I miss? I don't see where he blamed the carrier. The carrier is not  responsible for poor packaging or weak boxes.  If they were, there would be a racket of shipping already broken items in poor packaging hoping to get the insurance money.

But you  are right, the proper course would be for the buyer to file not as described/damaged in shipping. And leave it up to the seller to offer a discount or pay to have it returned.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

... Reading through your other entertaining positive feedbacks, I would have loved to read the neg you left.

I was thinking the same thing, and but if the seller had read his feedback, he might have done a better job at packaging. Heads up to sellers: doesn't hurt to take a second  to check out the feedback  left by your buyer before you ship their item.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

Ditto.  I bought a custom ordered set of DW drums a few years back.  Nobody, but nobody, packs better than Drum Workshop.  However, one of the bass drum spurs came off in transit, and bounced around a little.  It made a small scratch in the finish of the drum, but luckily the scratch was on the very bottom where it doesn't show. 

In my case it was a Christmas ornament that had a little glass dangling part. There was nothing in the packaging to keep the part from swinging around freely during transit, and as a result it managed to become disconnected from the hook it was hanging from. Naturally, a small glass part bouncing around inside the box = a small broken glass part. This could easily have been avoided if the retail packaging had just included some sort of void fill to keep that part from swinging freely.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

Hi @8500rpmlaunch   Of course you're right to hold the seller responsible for the condition of the item when it was received by you.  That's eBay 101.  If the box was part of the item and it's damaged, that is Not As Described.  

The seller should have taken you up on your reasonable offer for some type of compromise short of a full blown return/refund and ended this.  But he apparently likes drama, and has time on his hands for it.  He sounds like a bad seller and an unbalanced personality.  Just cease communication with him.  He cannot sue you, that is a last gasp threat when there is nothing else.  Good luck! 

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I would simply have returned the item as an INAD and proceeded with the rest of my day. At least to me, not worth the hassle to get into legal battles over a low-cost ( in relation to the extra time and stress spent) over what should have been for a fun experience.

maybe it is how I was brought up, but if I was unable to receive a gift, either because it arrived damaged, was unavailable, or there were no resources to supply one, my experiences taught me that things in life could have been worse, and gifts are celebratory/ not obligatory items.  I would have definitely had a lousy birthday/ Christmas/ whatever if a gift that was intended  for me turned into a battle for my benefactors.

this situation was an avoidable one.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

There is a risk buying on the internet , when an item is received that is not as described, under ebay's MBG return it for refund.

Since the seller is unwilling to offer you a partial refund to keep the item, the seller wants the item back, & you have chosen not to comply & not receive a refund of your payment.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply