cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sent package to random address in my zip code and my appeal was denied.

The seller sent a package (what I believe to be an empty box) to an address in my zip code. FedEx says the package is delivered but the house in the delivery picture is not my house. eBay automatically closed my case because the package shows up as delivered. An agent confirmed that the seller did not use the eBay provided shipping label. How do I get eBay to investigate? It’s very frustrating talking to agent after agent. They tell me to file a claim with FedEx however FedEx says that my address isn’t the address the package was sent to. 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@m8p67-99 wrote:

The seller sent a package (what I believe to be an empty box) to an address in my zip code.

FedEx says the package is delivered but the house in the delivery picture is not my house.

I believe it’s an empty box because based on the shipment information my item could not physically be in the box. 

eBay automatically closed my case because the package shows up as delivered.

How do I get eBay to investigate? 

Stop talking to eBay, or the seller, or FedEx @m8p67-99 any more.

sdneped_0-1712904787805.jpeg

Instead now that you've lost the case at eBay, proceed upwards to file an dispute at this page if that's how you paid.

Mention that

-- both the weight and the measurements of the box

-- which are shown under SHIPMENT DETAILS for your tracking number

-- at the FedEx website, available for anyone to see, are inappropriate for your item.

Don't contact or respond to your seller again, and just wait for your refund. Otherwise or to continue upward, file a chargeback with your card issuer with the same evidence, to get your refund.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

"house in delivery picture is not my house"...then who's is it...per the tracking of FedEx?...and how did you manage to see it?...per FedEx?

And haven't spoken to seller?

"believe to be...empty box"...assume 

FedEx sends out tracking notifications like crazy.

Tracking is available on eBay to see when it is coming and delivered.

Did you get no emails in your "inbox" of emails of anything?

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Fedex provides a picture of the delivery, I have no idea whose house it is, Fedex wont give me the address the package was sent to all they say is that it’s not my address. The seller just sends generic responses like telling me it shows as  delivered on their end. I believe it’s an empty box because based on the shipment information my item could not physically be in the box. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Get a letter from Fedex stating the package/tracking number was not addressed to you.

Then contact ebay with that evidence.

I would probably contact ebay by a private message to their "ebay for business" facebook page.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Thank you, do you know the best way to go about that? I called their customer service line and they basically told me they couldn’t do anything unless the shipper contacted them. I have submitted evidence showing that I can’t report the package because my address isn’t the address FedEx has on file, however the eBay agent that handled my appeal completely ignored it.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I would contact fedex again explaining what you need for evidence to show ebay. 

I am assuming ebay won't accept something like a chat transcript as evidence so probably need like a letter on Fedex letterhead.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Check your order details to make sure the correct address appears there. That is the address the seller is required to ship to.

Contact the shipping service to determine if the tracking number you received was for a package that was addressed to you.

Good advice for dealing with false tracking:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/I-tried-contacting-seller-i-tried-contacting-fedex-i-tried/m-p/...

What kind of feedback does your seller have?

You can avoid many fake tracking issues by choosing to only do business with experienced sellers that have a proven track record of delivering similar items as seen by examining the seller's feedback page, and by avoiding inexperienced sellers, sellers with patterns of negative feedback indicating serious problems, or sellers with large gaps in the selling history or recent drastic changes of seller behavior.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

The seller had 100% positive feedback, unfortunately I didn’t pay attention to the 6 month gap in seller feedback, I realized after purchasing that the seller only had stock photos and thought that was a little strange but I figured worst case scenario I would be protected under the money back guarantee.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

By chance, did you double check the ship to address you entered during the payment? Also, kindly ask the seller to confirm the address they have in their shipping screen. If everything is accurate & the seller didn't cross the labels with some other order or enter the incorrect tracking number, then you need to push FedEx to investigate. Also ask the seller if they can reprint the shipping label & provide you a copy so that you can deal with FedEx.

Good luck! It's going to be very challenging since the FedEx account belongs to eBay.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@m8p67-99 wrote:

The seller sent a package (what I believe to be an empty box) to an address in my zip code.

FedEx says the package is delivered but the house in the delivery picture is not my house.

I believe it’s an empty box because based on the shipment information my item could not physically be in the box. 

eBay automatically closed my case because the package shows up as delivered.

How do I get eBay to investigate? 

Stop talking to eBay, or the seller, or FedEx @m8p67-99 any more.

sdneped_0-1712904787805.jpeg

Instead now that you've lost the case at eBay, proceed upwards to file an dispute at this page if that's how you paid.

Mention that

-- both the weight and the measurements of the box

-- which are shown under SHIPMENT DETAILS for your tracking number

-- at the FedEx website, available for anyone to see, are inappropriate for your item.

Don't contact or respond to your seller again, and just wait for your refund. Otherwise or to continue upward, file a chargeback with your card issuer with the same evidence, to get your refund.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Yes my shipping address is accurate, the seller won’t give me anything. Also the account is not eBay’s, they printed their own shipping label with FedEx, it’s how they were able to change the address. eBay doesn’t care and has instructed me to contact FedEx, however FedEx will only work with the shipper and won’t tell me anything.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@m8p67-99,

If you open the link provided by @eburtonlab , Click on the Go to Best Answer button to read what I wrote on how to get the information you need to win an appeal.  It also explains why eBay and other 3rd party site's reps have so much trouble with the Fake Tracking number scams. That info does work but when dealing with counter help at FedEx stores, make sure to say all you want written is the general info saying that label address does not match the one on the Order Details.

There are links in that answer that take you to ebay's Facebook and Instagram pages, and what to write and attach to the message for the reps that monitor them.  Those reps unlike ebay's phone/chat reps who work for a 3rd party call/chat center, are actual ebay employees who have the power to overturn a lost appeal, and issue refunds. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Thank you, I’m gonna try to go to a FedEx location later today, unfortunately the closest actual FedEx location is 2 towns over. A FedEx OnSite location wouldn’t work right?

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@m8p67-99 wrote:

Thank you, I’m gonna try to go to a FedEx location later today, unfortunately the closest actual FedEx location is 2 towns over. A FedEx OnSite location wouldn’t work right?

Hi @m8p67-99 

I’ve had this ‘fake tracking number scam’ tried on me several times.

I spoke to FedEx by phone, and … after confirming with the agent that my name and address was NOT on the package … I asked them to attach a statement with that information to an email, which they were willing to do.

Once I received the email … I contacted the Fraud Department of my credit card company and had them do a chargeback for the amount.

eBay has been slow in dealing with this scam competently … so buyers may have to get their refund from their payment source.

[Only USPS required me to pick up the statement from them.  Both FedEx and UPS were willing to attach the information to an email.]

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I’ve tried calling FedEx and while they will confirm the address doesn’t match they won’t send me anything, I tried 3 times hoping to get a different result. It’s just someone reading from a script in a call center. They tell me it’s just not something they can do.

Is there a better number to call? Or something I should say to get to a more competent person?

It’s very frustrating that eBay can’t just look at the shipping info. I’m gonna try the payment source method if I can manage to get something from FedEx, I have a feeling that eBay will continue to ignore the evidence even if I get a signed statement.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply