cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller sends an offer to me as a watcher. I decline the offer. Does the seller see my username?

I am interested in an item.  The seller has it listed as Buy It Now for $70.00 with free shipping and Make Offer enabled.  While I am interested in the item, I feel like due to a cosmetic issue with the item, it is not worth the $70.00 Buy It Now price.  I put the item on my watch list, intending to do some research and later submit an offer using the Make Offer button.

After doing research and seeing what other similar items are selling for on eBay and elsewhere, I come to the conclusion that most I would spend on this particular item with the cosmetic issue is $60.00.  Of course I would rather spend less, but $60.00 and not a penny more is my absolute maximum for this item.

I go back to my watch page prepared to make an offer, when I see that the seller has sent me an offer an hour or so after I put the item on my watch list.  His offer is $65.00.  Now I know I am not going to accept this offer as it is above the maximum I will spend on this item.  I know the seller does not see the username of watchers, and does not know which watchers were sent the offer.  My question, however, is if I decline the offer, does the seller get a notification showing my username as the one who declined the offer?  I am thinking the seller doesn't see my name in that scenario, but would like to know for sure.

The reason I am asking is that if the seller does know that I have declined the offer, they could possibly put me on their blocked bidder list and then I won't be able to make an offer at a price that is acceptable to me.  If I do make an offer and the seller declines it and we can't come to deal, fine.  No problem.  But I would like to be able to at least make an offer and not be blocked for declining the sellers unsolicited and unacceptable offer to me.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller sends an offer to me as a watcher. I decline the offer. Does the seller see my username?

Sellers can’t see your user name when they send you an offer what they see when checking sent offers is something like this a***z(702) your feedback score will show, but it’s not clickable.

If you decline or allow the offer to expire the seller can see something like this ..

IMG_0756.jpeg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

One thing you can do is to make a counteroffer to the seller's offer at your desired price.  The option is available if you click on 'review offer' from your account.  There is no guarantee the seller will accept.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sellers can’t see your user name when they send you an offer what they see when checking sent offers is something like this a***z(702) your feedback score will show, but it’s not clickable.

If you decline or allow the offer to expire the seller can see something like this ..

IMG_0756.jpeg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

So they don't see my username, but see my feedback score.  Pros and cobs to that in my scenario.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

They don’t see your user name because it’s masked. Your feedback score is numbers only, the seller can’t click on it to see your feedback at all.  It’s all pretty much anonymous until you actually accept an offer. 
The pros are you are anonymous until you accept an offer and purchase. Cons there isn’t any.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Con is the seller sees someone with 702 feedback declined his offer.  Then the seller sees someone with 702 feedback made him an offer a little later.  Odds are pretty good it is the same person.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I doubt the seller would block you for declining an offer. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@jameshen1 wrote:

Con is the seller sees someone with 702 feedback declined his offer.  Then the seller sees someone with 702 feedback made him an offer a little later.  Odds are pretty good it is the same person.

I've seen that in my own offers many times. 

There's a con to the potential buyer though. When I send an offer, it's at a lower price than if the buyer makes an offer to me through the "make offer" function. So when they decline my offer in order to make a lower offer, I come back with a price that's slightly higher than what they could have bought it for. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 8
latest reply