cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller says item shipped but tracking says different

I purchased a laptop from a seller on the 28th of April, I contacted them a few times after a few days of not seeing any update in shipping just to make sure all was good. I was reassured that it would be shipped, and later on that day the seller claims he shipped the item although the tracking never updated and still says USPS awaiting item. They then reply with “Hi sir I will give you the shipping information by the end of the day I have been a little busy you should receive the item by the end of this week.” why would they use another tracking number??

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I don't know exactly what is going on with your seller but the main thing is, DO NOT communicate with the seller anymore. When you purchased your laptop, ebay indicated an estimated delivery date range, e.g. May 10 to May 15th. One day after the last date (on May 16th) file an Item Not Received case thru ebay (obviously if you have not received it). Make sure to follow the instructions. Also you have up to 30 calendar days after the estimated delivery date has passed to report that an item hasn't arrived so you would have to file before June 14.

Read more about it here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042

Also make sure the laptop is as described if/when you received it. If something is not right you have an option to open an Item Not as Described case again via ebay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@lordyrxva,

It sounds to me like you are dealing with an inexperienced seller.  Did you check their feedback profile page before buying from them?  To see that page, open the listing from your purchase history, if the listing shown when you do that says something like The listing has ended buy we found something similar, there will be a button saying See original listing, you can click on, to open the listing you bought from.

On that page scroll down to where the seller's username is in a large font. Below it will be a few feedback comments and under them will be an oval with See all feedback in it.  Click on that, and on the page that opens, You can see what country the seller registered from, and below that a box with the numbers of feedback they have received.  Below that box click on the As a Seller button, to see if they have received feedback as a seller at all or  over a year ago. 

Your seller could have a fair number of feedback and even a 100% rating, but all for buying at least in the last year.  That's just one reason to check each seller's feedback profile, before buying from them.

If you seller has not received feedback in over a year or at all, most likely they ran into the 21-30 day hold ebay places on all new/returning sellers first few payments.  They may create a shipping label, but not actually send an item because the status of your payment shows Pending, on their account and they do not know how to deal with it, to get the funds released.  They often make up excuses because of that.  

If you find he above to be the case, message the seller again and tell them if your payment status is Pending, to do a google search for "Payment on hold, ebay".  Tell them to open the article with export.ebay.com in its address. It should be the second full article below the People also ask questions.   If they do that, then they will get the info needed to ship your item, and get the funds released.

If your seller does not respond to the message or ship the item, on the day after the last estimated delivery date, go to your purchase history, click on the More actions box and select I haven't received it, from the menu.  The seller will have 3 days to respond by either issuing a refund or getting the item to the shipper. If they do neither of those things use the Ask ebay to step in button in the dispute page, and a refund will be given.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

USPS tracking has become terribly arbitrary and inconsistent.  As a buyer, I understand this can be frustrating.  It is also challenging for the seller.

I shipped a USPS Ground Advantage package on Monday May 6.  The buyer contacted me on Wednesday asking why it was not shipped.  Tracking still showed "USPS Awaiting Item".  The first update that appeared was on Friday May 10, 2000 miles away showing arrival in the destination city.  The package was delivered a few hours later that day. 

From the buyer's perspective, it appeared I had not shipped the item.  The reality is USPS had the item in transit for 5 days without ever scanning it.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Recently, my post office changed the pickup and shipping hours.  I have to have my package at the post office by 3pm, to make it onto the outgoing truck the next morning.  If I bring my package after 3pm, then it won't be on the outgoing truck until a day and a half later. 

All outgoing is being done in the morning for the prior day until 3pm, go figure on that.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Using another tracking number could indicate various reasons, such as a mistake in the initial tracking number, a different shipping method, or attempting to provide updated information due to delays. However, it's essential to communicate with the seller for clarification and ensure transparency in the shipping process.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply