cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller never refunded me $14,434.00 for engine falsely advertised. Sent back to seller.

Marine engine advertised as having only 100 hours on it.  Mechanic inspected it, it was not fit to put in the boat.  Returned to the seller per his request.  He has never refunded my money.  Have contacted the seller and Ebay MANY times, no one responds.  Tried to contact corporate, no way to get to them.  The seller is still selling on ebay.  

(order #22-09985-32465)

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller never refunded me $14,434.00 for engine falsely advertised. Sent back to seller.

Like lakefor94 stated: dispute payment with the card you used.

Documentation is rather important because of the large purchase.

You can probably do it online: card and dispute.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Quit messing around and contact your payment provider. You paid by credit card, correct?

Make sure to have your documentation with the freight carrier tracking that shows delivered back to the seller.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Like lakefor94 stated: dispute payment with the card you used.

Documentation is rather important because of the large purchase.

You can probably do it online: card and dispute.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Everyone please stop this bad advice involving the credit card. Do NOT do this as it voids the MBG.  Follow the appropriate return procedure, being careful with the reason (NAD, seller offered refund, etc.) and abide by the timelines precisely.  Meaning 30 days from receipt. Every communication must be in eBay messaging, nothing else ever.  Credit card charge back is a last resort when all else fails.  #14K is real coin. Do this right.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

OP may well be past the 30 days.... by the time mechanic inspected and OP shipped back FOB.  CC may be the only option. 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Did you actually open an item not as described case within 30 days of receiving the faulty engine?

If that's what happened, the seller should have sent a prepaid shipping label and you would have been refunded when the item was received back by him.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@brower1942,

You really have not given us much information to go by. In order to help you we need to know;

When you bought the engine?

When did it arrive?

How long after receiving it did the mechanic pronounce it as being unfit for use?

Did you try filing a Not As described dispute, through ebay, when did you do that, and if you did what was the outcome?

You say you shipped it back, did you do that on your own dime, or did the seller arrange for the return shipping?

Do you have an invoice or receipt for the return shipping?

Do you have tracking proving that the seller received the engine?

There may still be a way to get resolution through ebay, but If you have filed a claim with your credit card company, you have lost your ebay options.

If you took the advice given in the first two replies, without going through ebay first. Because of the amount involved, doing that could cost you the ability for using ebay's Money Back Guarantee in the future. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

"Returned to the seller per his request.  He has never refunded my money.  Have contacted the seller and Ebay MANY times, no one responds.  Tried to contact corporate, no way to get to them.  The seller is still selling on ebay."

The obvious is that the OP has exhausted their opportunities thru eBay.

Posting ID
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

There is no obvious here. If buyer returned within eBay, his money is refunded the instant the return is documented.  Seller doesn't have a choice. There's also mention about seller request for return, something that also occurs within eBay messaging.  Something this large and expensive will have shipping documentation.  Please provide more details, item number, sale and return date, form of payment, and whether some/all done within eBay.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

My credit card company refused in October saying too much time had passed since the transaction.  Is it worth it to try again now? A year later?  

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

The seller put me off for 3 weeks on Aug 4, saying he was out of town and would look into it when he returned.  He knew how to work the system so that the 30 days was over. I trusted him and gave him more time to give my money back.  That was the only time that he responded to any of my many messages.  He has the motor back, and I lost $15,000.00.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

What is CC?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

He gave my mechanic the shipping label or arrangement for it to be sent back.  I have a copy of the bill of lading showing that the engine was sent back June 12, 2023.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@stevescho wrote:

Everyone please stop this bad advice involving the credit card. Do NOT do this as it voids the MBG.  Follow the appropriate return procedure, being careful with the reason (NAD, seller offered refund, etc.) and abide by the timelines precisely.  Meaning 30 days from receipt. Every communication must be in eBay messaging, nothing else ever.  Credit card charge back is a last resort when all else fails.  #14K is real coin. Do this right.

Point taken.  However, it's NOT 'bad advice' when the buyer already has exceeded the time limit for using eBay's MBG. 

There's also some situations ... like the 'fake tracking number scam' ... that eBay is not yet able to handle efficiently, so I generally tell buyers to deal directly with their CC company.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@brower1942 

CC = Credit Card.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply