cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller ignoring me for months

I bought an item late 2022, a kind of project that takes months just to get certain parts in. So it was never going to get done within the 30 day return window, but he he did a project for me before, and although took months, it went smooth.

Problems arose on this order, parts came to seller broken (which took more months to get new) and the seller said he had personal life issues that further delayed the project (like loosing access to his office)

I was getting updates from him so I was understanding. I'd only ask about once a month so im not harrassing him constently. But the updates stopped. For months I got nothing.

I contacted ebay support. First few said to follow steps and I should get refunded since the item was not shipped. support call 3 and 4 said it was beyond 30 days so I can't be helped, and they said they'd report support representative 1 and 2 for lying to me about the steps for refund.

I sent the ebay support, and report messages showing his delays and problems, and his months of ignoring me, ebay support said he was ignoring them too (which i cant believe they were okay with), and ebay system shows that the item isn't shipped either. Yet somehow despite even ignoring ebay, ebay took his side, because "it's beyond 30 days" (which ebay shouldn't even allow sales like this if that's going to be such a strict policy) and my credit card company won't help either because they have a 60 day policy.

So what can be done? Ebay support is knowingly protecting a thief, I can't review the item and warn others on his profile because you only have 60 days to leave feedback apperently. I truly don't understand how such clear theft, and even disrespect to ebay themself is being allowed right now.

So I am asking for help on what I can and should do next.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

You say you bought an item but it sounds like you bought a service? Or you commissioned someone to produce an item? Not sure if that qualifies as service or item...

Either way, this transaction was 2022 so unfortunately and politely you're S.O.L.

@liethius wrote:

Yet somehow despite even ignoring ebay, ebay took his side, because "it's beyond 30 days" (which ebay shouldn't even allow sales like this if that's going to be such a strict policy)

Uhh ... I don't believe eBay allows these types of sales/services? Unfortunately, there are things that occur on this site that eBay doesn't directly allow. Unfortunately it's been nearly 2 years, there isn't anything eBay or your financial institution can or will do.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@liethius,

You told us you had bought a custom built item/service from the seller before in 2022. How long ago did you commission this one?   In most cases ebay's Money Back Guarantee policy will not work when an item is not received within 30 days of the last estimated delivery date.  However, you may be able to get help by going through ebay's social media sites (links below). The reps on them have the power to authorize a refund even past the MBG protection period.

On them you can post basically what happened, but leave out having bought the service/custom order back in 2022.   You will need to have the item number and possibly the order number for the transaction, if they are still available, in order to possibly get a refund.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

With how long it's been, I'd assume that eBay can't/won't help so would look into pursuing legal remedies (police report, filing suit).

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

Late 2021 was the first item, I think it took about 6 or 7 months to get to my house from time of order. thats why i trusted him. I do believe he did intend to finish the order, but he just gave up after a certain point. That's why I hate this 30 day thing so much, it emboldens legit sellers to become thieves/scammers when they feel like it since there's no accountibility.

"Last estimated delivery date"-

I heard the suppprt reps say this term. My problem is there is no estimated delivery date, because it's not that kind of purchase since it's 100% dependant on when 3rd parties ship in parts.

I have the item number. Fingers super crossed your links work. Im super frustrated the time of order is such a big deal. The only thing to matter should be I never got my item, and I've been getting ignored. It's all proven in ebay systems too, which is why I'm in so much disbelief, because ebay sees him doing this theft, but choosing not to do anything about it because policy. 

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy 

I guess it more is a service. He builds an item for you. (or more commonly on his listings you send an item to him, he mods it, then sends it back, but I never did that method)

"I don't believe eBay allows these types of sales/services?"

apperently they do allow it since I told ebay all about it, and they didn't do anything about it. He's still accepting orders.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

At this point up the issue is strictly between you and the seller.  No one else can help. 

Posting ID
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@liethius wrote:

So I am asking for help on what I can and should do next.

You can forget about it because there is nothing ebay or a credit card company is going to do after 2 years.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

"apperently they do allow it since I told ebay all about it, and they didn't do anything about it. "

^ A lot slips through the cracks.  And those cracks are many, both big and small.

(Also, it sounds like you were initially talking to eBay support over the phone.  You should pretty much never do this, the phone support staff are infamous for giving people the runaround (outright lies, etc.).)

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

The top link doesn't work, and bottom link doesn't reply, so I don't think those are options anymore.

@therogue-trader 

What is the best way to get true ebay support, since phone staff are so infamously bad and liars?

And yeah, I've spoken to legal representation. I have a good amount of options. And I've been recommended some agencies that deal with situations like this. I just wish he'd respond and finish the project (or refund if he truly cant), he's legit, his rating only goes up. IDK why I got singled out as the one to give up on/to scam when we had future business planned, and had a past completed project too.

@monster-deals 

@lakefor94 

There's no way theft becomes okay just because you stall someone out. "Its between you and a seller" (that ignores you) isn't an answer.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

"@monster-deals 

@lakefor94 

There's no way theft becomes okay just because you stall someone out. "Its between you and a seller" (that ignores you) isn't an answer."

@liethiusNo one ever said theft is OK. "Its between you and the seller" is not the answer you want to hear but it is the truth you are faced with.

Posting ID
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@lakefor94 

It's not that, it's just not a answer, because what does that mean?

Hope he feels like giving back $600? Hope he feels like completing the project like promised? I'm here because he has no intention to do either, and he won't even communicate why.

So between me and the seller means what in this context?  Find him? That's not socially acceptable. Try and find his recently divorced wife to help me, and hope that won't be creepy? Nobody will like that either. 

That's why "between me and the seller" isn't an answer, because the only thing up from here would be to put him in a position he can't ignore, and I'm hoping that means an ebay support that's not the infamous call center, or not lawyers, as I'd like that to be the last option due to the complexities of that.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

There's a difference between "it's not the answer you want" and "it not an answer". Contacting eBay support will do nothing. The absolute only thing you can pursue now is suing the seller in small claims court. You have no other options. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@liethius wrote:

That's why "between me and the seller" isn't an answer,

Sorry, but after two years, that's the only answer you'll get.

Even if you were within the 30 day return period, services are not covered by the MBG.

Have a great day.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

You and the seller have bypassed all of Ebay's protections.

If the seller is not willing to take any action, your only real alternatives are the legal system.

If you need to involve a lawyer, the costs will rapidly exceed $600.

If someone suggested the Better Business Bureau, I hate to tell you but their business is selling memberships to businesses, and most small businesses when faced with a BBB complaint will ignore it, or throw the blame on the customer. There is little downside to ignoring a BBB complaint.

If you needed custom parts for anything, you would have been well served to find a local supplier. Ebay is a place for box in/box out transactions.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@liethius wrote:

IDK why I got singled out …

Maybe this guy strings people along, like he did with you, long enough that they can’t leave feedback. 

Maybe they get a rapport with buyers on the first transaction and with the second one, they use the trust from the first transaction to drop you on the next one. 

Of course, no one wants to hear they are SOL, but with eBay buyer protection, you really are. If you paid by credit card, you could try contacting them to see if their buyer protection extends this long. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply