cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Fraud

I recently bought an item, three days ago received an email saying the item was shipped. This is all well and good and normal. Since the July 4th holiday is over I checked the status of the shipment... which was never received by the post office.

So I went back to the item's page on ebay and found the item has been removed and the seller is listed as no longer being verified.

My morning was then transformed to an endless loop of ebay questions to answer before I could lodge a complaint, all of which revolve around having the product in the system (this item was removed!) .

I eventually got to the contact area where they give out a phone number for help,.... but it only gave me a useless 6 digit phone number!

PayPay was able to expedite my refund, so all's well that ends well. No thanks whatsoever  to ebay. 

This seller found the hole in ebay's system, that all he has to do to steal is to remove the item after the sale, and make it easier to contact them.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Seller Fraud

This is more than likely a seller who was labeled as a scammer and ebay removed the listing, and eliminated the seller. Yes, I agree ebay is not easy to get a hold of to talk to anyone and if you do they don't know anything. It's good you were able to fall back onto papal for the refund. 

Just recently I was looking to buy an item, but I noticed the same item from several different sellers. When I went into each of these sellers there were similarities that I knew they were all the same. I did not purchase the item but I put it in my watch. When I went back to see it again all of the sellers were gone, an obvious scam. It seems scammers come up with new tricks every day.   

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller Fraud

While I can understand one's desire to receive their purchase in a timely manner, being that this is only the 9th of July and the 5th was a holiday because the 4th fell on a Sunday, I'm a bit confused as to the apparent panic in the need for a speedy refund.  Admittedly, the item having been removed by eBay isn't a good sign but I'm not sure that that alone indicates criminal activity on the part of the seller as indicated by the OP's title to this thread.

Of course, depending upon the location of the seller, there may have been delays caused by ELSA making her way up the East Coast.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

😫

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

I've been buying on Ebay for well over 20 years, and I have never experienced a seller removing an item that was sold, or suddenly changing his status to unverified, and not able to be contacted by any means. 

This is not a case of the post office being slow. This is a scam, and not a sale. It's good PayPal gave this the serious attention, and refund I was due.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

@the5th-beatle wrote:

I've been buying on Ebay for well over 20 years, and I have never experienced a seller removing an item that was sold, or suddenly changing his status to unverified, and not able to be contacted by any means. 

This is not a case of the post office being slow. This is a scam, and not a sale. It's good PayPal gave this the serious attention, and refund I was due.

The seller can not remove an item once you have paid for it, as it will be in your purchase history and that is where you go to file a claim with eBay's MBG once the estimated delivery date had passed.

Happy you were successful with Paypal, but wondering what will you do if the item in fact arrives ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

Oh it's gone!
It shows up in my purchase history, but if you click on the image it says:
"We looked everywhere. Looks like this page is missing. If you still need help, visit our help pages." It's useless to visit the help pages because the system says the item isn't there, so there's nothing to report. When I click on "contact the seller", it says he's no longer a registered user, and there's no way to contact him.
I'm not worried about suddenly receiving the item. It was never shipped.

But if this seller wasn't a thief, he would have contacted my by now.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

This is more than likely a seller who was labeled as a scammer and ebay removed the listing, and eliminated the seller. Yes, I agree ebay is not easy to get a hold of to talk to anyone and if you do they don't know anything. It's good you were able to fall back onto papal for the refund. 

Just recently I was looking to buy an item, but I noticed the same item from several different sellers. When I went into each of these sellers there were similarities that I knew they were all the same. I did not purchase the item but I put it in my watch. When I went back to see it again all of the sellers were gone, an obvious scam. It seems scammers come up with new tricks every day.   

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

eBay removed the seller.

a seller can not "close" their account when there have been recent sales.

Good that PP was able to resolve this for you.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

You'd think ebay would have contacted me directly. They didn't.

If they really knew the seller was a scammer, and shut him down, they kinda left me dangling until I tried to find out the shipping status, and discovered he wasn't a verified seller anymore.

It's great they shut down scammers, but I really should have been told.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Seller Fraud

I've seen messages to the buyer saying about a suspicious seller and canceled the sale. Ebay is mostly run by bots and you got missed. Yeah, it sucks. But in the end you did not get scammed.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply