cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search function showing unrelated listings

What's up with the search function & was it changed within the last day or two?  Seems like my searches are now clogged up with nothing relevant to what was put in the search bar.  Extremely aggravating trying to navigate through all those listings in hopes you'll see items you're actually looking for.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Search function showing unrelated listings

atomic-rooster---- ebay search function is trash...  heres my reply to someone else  that started a forum that posted a similar  search question

I AGREE ... TITLE ONLY or check a box and search description....which use to work great years ago ... if its not broke -- don't fix it...    but seller overload is not the only reason ebay search is trash ...  their search must also search the details of the listing...  the option boxes that a seller can check mark the square boxes for more details about their item... .. which brings up 1000's of listing that aren't what a buyer is looking for...  Apparently  ebay hasn't  realized how many Good Buyers they have Lost do to how their search works.... Which Hurts the people that Sell on ebay ... which in return -- hurts ebay..  and ebays fix for this...  for losing $$$$ ... is raise the fee's for what sellers we have left ... and they have lost a lot of great sellers that are now on social media sites selling like no other... with very low fee's or none..  i don't understand how such a large company can be so stupid...  But for some reason  EBAY NEVER - NEVER   listens to their sellers or buyers advise ...  i use to buy a lot of things on ebay ... but i don't anymore... way to many items come up in the search list that have nothing to do with what i typed in and searched ..   a lot don't even have 1 single word in the title that i searched... 

so i buy from other online sites that have a Search that Works like it should ... and i don't have to scroll threw hundreds of crap that has nothing to do with the item i'm looking for... 

i liked the old days ...  when the search WORKED FLAWLESSLY ....  you could search 1 word... and if there was to many results... you could add another word ..etc...  to narrow down ur search ---  and everything that was listed from ur search was items you were looking for.... if a seller made a mistake and spelled a word wrong...  their listing would not show up in ur search results  unless you spelled it wrong...   

i've sold on ebay since 1999 as a hobby & extra money.... but i'm seriously thinking about exploring other selling options... 

ebay hasn't listened to any seller or buyer advise - ideas - or opinions in years... and i doubt if they do.... anytime soon ...     lostniowa... LRD... 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you describe a bit about how you are searching and what sort of results you are encountering, someone might be able to provide a practical suggestion to allow you to more easily find what you are looking for and avoid things you are not interested in.

For instance:

If a search that has worked well previously suddenly starts behaving badly, often the problem has something to do with a faulty keyword substitution or an inappropriate automatic category navigation issue.

You can bypass many of these sorts of search issues by putting one of your keywords in quotes. This forces eBay to bypass the "smart" features and to search for the literal keywords without any substitution or category switching. You may have to manually specify your category once again.

Using a desktop browser, find the "Feedback" icon that appears in the lower right corner of the search results page to let eBay page developers know about your search issues.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Unfortunately Ebay is corrupting features that once made it such a huge success with buyers & sellers.

Very Sad

We have to adapt to what is today

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Is it any wonder sellers and buyers alike are jumping ship?  I just listed a couple items after a two year hiatus and now I'm remembering why I left.  My listings will be like a needle in a haystack when any potential buyers do a search.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

As far as I know it is impossible to complain to eBay about this.  Searches that used to yield zero, to a few matches, now turn up a hundred or more, more common searches yield an almost infinite amount of unrelated items, as though grade schoolers are in charge of the site.   I do not have time to sift through 100s, thousands, of items not related to my searches, so for the most part I am staying away from eBay after 20 years.   Obviously not good for sellers.  eBay does not care about buyers, or sellers.  Just venting  here.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply