cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screwed both ways by ebay "policy".

Anyone who sells on ebay has been scammed or screwed at some point, but recently I was screwed by ebay "policy" as a buyer, too. Long story short anyone know where I can buy and sell online without a 100% chance of getting screwed?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Nope...not if you want traffic

This is part of doing business.     I also do not find Ebay policies that much different from anyone else's 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Human nature being what it is, there will always be some crooks on any site.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

True but ebay has been overtaken by scammers. It seems I am more likely to get scammed than not. No longer worth it for me. I had to vent somehow and ebay customer service is worthless so here I am.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@theseoldcoins,

If this is about the listing you left a negative for, if you claimed not as described, I can see why the seller won the dispute.  Granted the listing title and description are not well written, however because of the confusion in how the description was worded I would have asked questions before bidding.  The sellers profile shows they do not sell those type items as well.

I've been selling on ebay for over 15 years and haven't been "screwed". I've had two attempts, but I cut them off at the knees.  I also have only needed to retract one bid in the last several years, and I rebid the correct amount immediately.

I can't think of one 3rd party retail sites, that doesn't have any scammers at all.  They're everywhere you look.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I've been selling on ebay since ebay was born. I am no rookie. When a seller claims that the coins are silver and they are not the item is not properly described. When I sell and a buyer thinks it's not properly described then I have to pay the shipping. However, if I receive an item that is not properly described then I am charged for return shipping. Makes no sense at all. DON'T TELL ME THAT THERE IS NO HONEST PLATFORM TO SELL FROM because that is incorrect. I've been selling on Etsy for quite a while and amazingly, like magic I have no problems. I sell on other platforms as well and none of them have the same problems as ebay. Ebay is far from what it used to be. It is a scammers paradise and ebay sides with the scammers far too often, essentially facilitating it. Believe me, sellers are leaving ebay for good reason and they aren't even missing it.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

etsy is no better

amazing how you took a chance it didn't pay out now ebay is the bad guy

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Etsy is WAY BETTER. Lower fees no paypal to deal with and a whole lot less scammers and idiots. Ebay has destroyed itself. I didn't say it was "the bad guy" what I am saying is that it is worthless. You are free to pay excessive fees and get burned all you want. I refuse.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@theseoldcoins,

"I've been selling on ebay since ebay was born. I am no rookie. When a seller claims that the coins are silver and they are not the item is not properly described".

Actually, IMO you did make a rookie mistake.  One portion of that poorly written one sentence description read;  "...ALL SILVER OR SILVER COLOR..."  The photos definitely show that some of the coins couldn't be actual silver.  Since a few of the coins could have been identified from the few lousy photos, you could have looked them up to see if they were made of silver or were just a "silver color".  You took a chance bidding on a low priced item hoping to make a killing if they turned out to be actual silver coins, and it didn't work out. 

"I've been selling on _____  for quite a while and amazingly, like magic I have no problems. I sell on other platforms as well and none of them have the same problems as ebay".

I too use other sites to sell on, mostly I list items on them that I do not mind languishing for a long time before they sell, if they sell at all.  What I do not do on ebay is list items that do not have a good sell through rate with a .99cent starting bid or BIN. After eBay fees they just aren't worth it.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@theseoldcoins wrote:

Etsy is WAY BETTER. Lower fees no paypal to deal with and a whole lot less scammers and idiots. Ebay has destroyed itself. I didn't say it was "the bad guy" what I am saying is that it is worthless. You are free to pay excessive fees and get burned all you want. I refuse.

I sold on Etsy from 2007  until 2013 selling handmade candles and soaps, and from 2016-18 selling vintage cookbooks and recipe booklets.  The absolute worst buyers I've ever encountered were on Etsy, BY FAR.  Snotty, demanding, expecting free stuff all the time, and then having the nerve to complain about the size of FREE SAMPLES given. (This was when I was selling handmade candles and soaps.)  When I was selling books, I never had a problem, because I never had any buyers, and my prices there were lower than here, and I did free shipping to boot.  Didn't matter, because there is no traffic there for what I sell.

I've never had a bad buyer here, ever. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the category a seller is selling in.  Old books are a lot less problematic than clothing, electronics, video games, etc.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@theseoldcoins wrote:

Your opinion means zero to me and I didn't ask you for it. If you were on the end that got screwed I guarantee you'd see things differently. It's easy to play armchair quarterback. You are free to continue paying outrageous fees and getting screwed. I am moving on.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Keep playing with fire, you'll get burned. It's a matter of when not if. I really don't have time to educate every beginner out there. You'll learn.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

you people are proving my point at ebay members. You are free to remain ignorant.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@theseoldcoins wrote:

Keep playing with fire, you'll get burned. It's a matter of when not if. I really don't have time to educate every beginner out there. You'll learn.

Beginner?? lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Sorry, no time to educate. I have a business to run.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply