cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by fake seller

I ordered two laptops from the same seller. I should have known 25.00 and 29.00 for a new HP was too good to be true. ( I know I am an idiot)  Well I sent the payments through Paypal. it said the transactions was pending. Meanwhile I check a few moments later and it appears ebay pulled listings. Also recieved aan email saying that I had contacted a compromised account.  Said that if payment had been sent the sale would go through normally.  Not taking any chances I opend a dispute on both items.  Why do I have a feeling ebay will NOT refund my payment and I hate the whole resolution dispute process.  I also notified my credit card company, who said the charges were pending and could "drop off" Paypal showed that it had been completed.  Please tell me I am not the only idiot who fell pray to such a listing 😞 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scammed by fake seller

I can understand losing confidence and sometimes it's best to dial-back online shopping and just buy at B&M. Of course I think part of this is the sting of excitement being dashed. I know it would be for me. @stda1982

·•❖•· the wolf you feed wins ·•❖•·

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Why would you think eBay won't refund you? If there is no tracking showing the items delivered, you will automatically be refunded. That's the way the process works. No, it's not instantaneous. But you will eventually get your refund.

And no, I've never fallen for a "too good to be true" scam on eBay. But that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of other people who have. This is not eBay's first time at this particular rodeo. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

I have never fell for one until now. The seller rating was 100%. The listings looked like alot of others that I had dealt with. I have had one bad experience from one seller over defective merchandise. But never  an incident where there was a security compromise.  

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

carolina...,

Please tell me I am not the only idiot who fell pray to such a listing.

No you aren't and you will not be the last either.  If your instincts tell you an items price is too good to be true, trust them in the future. You should also be careful buying SD cards on ebay.  There are a lot of fakes that do not work being sold. Always check a sellers feedback, to see how much experience they have as sellers, how many non positives they have, and for what items. 

Did the  "seller" you bought from have any feedback for selling, prior to the computer listings?  If they did had they sold computers before? There are a couple of scams that are used of this type.  One, a person hijacks a buying only account, which will have a 100% positive rating, to sell a bunch of too good to be true items, then run with the money.   The other one is to set up a selling account, and sell a bunch of cheap items, until they can access their funds without delay. Then list  bogus or nonexistant expensive item(s). 

Checking each seller's profile, even those with 100%, before bidding or buying can save you from running into issues

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

It was a sellers account  :(.  Well I am not out 50.00 that I doubt I will see again.   I feel like a total sucker who got snookered.  This is the last time I will be buying anyting off of ebay for a long time. I filed a claim for item not recieved per the advise of an ebay customer rep. I do not know what good it will do. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

It will do a lot of good. eBay actually has fantastic buyer protection.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

You will get your money back. It can take a while but if you follow through then based on what you said I am not seeing how you wouldn't get your money back.

Whatever happens do not close the case until this is resolved.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@carolinabelle1982 wrote:

I ordered two laptops from the same seller. I should have known 25.00 and 29.00 for a new HP was too good to be true. ( I know I am an idiot)  Well I sent the payments through Paypal. it said the transactions was pending. Meanwhile I check a few moments later and it appears ebay pulled listings. Also recieved aan email saying that I had contacted a compromised account.  Said that if payment had been sent the sale would go through normally.  Not taking any chances I opend a dispute on both items.  Why do I have a feeling ebay will NOT refund my payment and I hate the whole resolution dispute process.  I also notified my credit card company, who said the charges were pending and could "drop off" Paypal showed that it had been completed.  Please tell me I am not the only idiot who fell pray to such a listing 😞 

Since it says that it's pending, is there a cancel payment button available?

because ”Paypal showed that it had been completed.”
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Are you sure it isn't a cleverly worded listing for a PICTURE of a laptop? That  is a fairly common scam too. Then they ship you a picture and you find that if you had read closer that is indeed what you bought.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

" This is the last time I will be buying anyting off of ebay for a long time. "

@stda1982 I'm curious why you are faulting eBay here? They notified you quickly and now you are in the process of getting your refund. Also, eBay has some of the best buyer protection of any e-commerce site on the internet.

PS it's not only eBay you have to be on the lookout for fake SD cards. AZ (and I'm sure others) are having similar issues. Even though the prices are great for SD cards online, I purchased mine, in person, from an established retailer, who I can go back to, should the card show a problem.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

The listing said it was brandnew and sealed in the box. It is not just ebay that I am having trust issues with. I am hesitant to buy anything online from anyone for a long time. I rather go to a store and buy it myself in the near future.  My credit card company said that on their end, the transaction was showing as pending. Paypal listed it as completed on their end.  I have had friends and family get burned on ebay, both buying and selling. So I think for now, I will do my shopping offline.  I have never had an issue with an SD card that I bought off here. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

I can understand losing confidence and sometimes it's best to dial-back online shopping and just buy at B&M. Of course I think part of this is the sting of excitement being dashed. I know it would be for me. @stda1982

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

EBay notified me AFTER is had paid the (fake) sell for the item I purchased. PayPal is dragging their feet and not helping at all. I'm out $40 and May never use either service again.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

EBay can't protect you from yourself
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 15 of 34
latest reply