cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed by a seller

I purchased an item last week from a seller and after a few days the UPS tracking number showed that it was delivered. When I returned home from work there was no package to be found. I have cameras on all sides of my home and there were no deliveries that week except the mail man.  The seller would not respond to my messages through Ebay either before or after I started a case. After talking with UPS, they informed me that I was given a fake tracking number and the package was delivered and they know where it was delivered but they would not tell me where. This seller has since accumulated several negative feedback stating the same problem that I had. I lost my money on the purchase because Ebay said the packager had been delivered.  Buyers beware!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Scammed by a seller

If you can get a statement from UPS to that effect, you can appeal the case.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

If you can get a statement from UPS to that effect, you can appeal the case.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

eBay's cs machines are on the scammers side, you need to talk to CS as the complaints are coming in.  I once had a small book delivered instead  of a golf driver ( 3 ft long). Took photos and sent it in and the system (not human) said DELIVERED CASE CLOSED.   

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately  UPS says the cannot disclose any information because of their "privacy policy".  Basically they are saying this is between myself and the person who shipped the package. Not the end of the world, just frustrating.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

It doesnt work anyways, i had same thing happen and was able to get someone where the package was actually delivered to send me pictures of the package with the tracking number, contents etc (was brochures when what I ordered was a computer processor)  seller had already received 8 similar complaints on the same item. Ebay found for the seller and closed the case. Didnt care that it was delivered and addressed to someone entirely different. Only mattered that they had a tracking number showing delivered. Ebay is supporting the scam

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@34deere, you just need to get an official letter on letterhead, or preferably an email directly from UPS that states:

1. the tracking number for this transaction
  2. your shipping address for this transaction
  3. and that this tracking number was NOT shipped or delivered to your shipping address.

UPS has already told you this, so they can do this without violating privacy. They can't tell you where it was shipped and delivered to, but you don't need that. eBay has stated in previous cases that this is what they need for a successful appeal.

If you get an email that is easiest because it includes header information that proves it came from the shipping company and was not faked. You can forward it with the header information to eBay to support your case.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Yikes! I am in the same predicament for a very expensive item and about 3 dozen other buyers are all out $40k from one scam seller who did the same (zip code scam). I did what you did—successfully tracked down the person who received the fake package—and was hopeful this would work in proving my case. Sounds like it won't be!! What is eBay thinking??
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@fjleiter1 wrote:

It doesnt work anyways

was able to get someone where the package was actually delivered to send me pictures of the package with the tracking number, contents etc (was brochures when what I ordered was a computer processor) 

Ebay found for the seller and closed the case.

Yes, it works. After I lost the not received case and appeal, I started a return case for Wrong item sent, and returned the brochures using the free return label.

The return address was fake and returned to sender, but I got the refund anyway.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@mrwumper wrote:
I did what you did—successfully tracked down the person who received the fake package

Were you able to get the package?

Have a great day.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for your help. I will see what I can do.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

kensgiftshop:

No, I did not physically take possession of said package, but I suppose I could. The recipient sent me photos of the envelope that just contained junk mail, as opposed to the valuable 50 pound machine that I ordered. On the envelope you can clearly see the "correct" tracking number, along with a very fake/made-up return address. Perhaps after shelter in place is lifted in my county, I can obtain the scam package if necessary for the claim—the recipient told me he'd hold onto it.

Ebay rejected my claim out of hand, of course—evidently they've never conceived of this zip code scam, though I can find references to it online dating back years. So I filed a PayPal claim—I'll know the results in another three days (they've given the scammer 3 weeks to 'respond').
Message 11 of 11
latest reply