cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM Alert - Seller providing an amazon tracking number to a different address in the same zip code

Just as yet another report of the same type of scam happening. Seller is @doctor_gold 

I bought an item on eBay ($900+), which was heavily discounted. The seller did not respond to my enquiries about the product but I bought it trusting eBay's "get your product or your money back" guarantee. 

I am convinced now that this was a scam, and have initiated the process to get a refund for my money.

What I believe the seller has done is:
- They placed an order on Amazon and shipped it to some other name/address in my same zip code, soon after I placed my eBay order.

- They waited for that order to appear as "delivered" on Amazon tracking (UPS says the order was delivered "at the door").
- They uploaded the tracking number for the Amazon order to ebay, and associated it to my order.

Now, my item appears to be delivered, although I obviously didn't get it. 

I have called UPS directly and spoke to a service representative that has confirmed that the tracking number's destination address DOES NOT MATCH the shipping address that I entered on my order, that the receiver's name also DOES NOT MATCH my own, and that the sender of the package is Amazon, not an individual seller. The weight of the package is also completely wrong. 

Unfortunately, they said that they can't provide any written confirmation of this information, nor can they provide the actual name/address that the shipment with this tracking number was sent/delivered to. They did allow me to record the call, which I plan to use as proof once my case is being handled by eBay. From what I have read, eBay will probably side with the seller at first, since the zip code in the tracking number matches my own, even though nothing else does. I hope this voice recording with a UPS service representative to be enough proof for them.

It's really baffling to me that eBay allows this form of very simple fraud to happen. They should require proof of the shipment and the tracking number to actually correspond to the receiver's name and address at least.

It's going to be very hard for me to trust eBay from now on, after this experience. Be careful, everyone.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

SCAM Alert - Seller providing an amazon tracking number to a different address in the same zip code

@jsebcortes86 wrote:

The weight of the package is also completely wrong. 

Unfortunately, they said that they can't provide any written confirmation of this information

No written confirmation is needed @jsebcortes86. Everyone can see the weight on UPS tracking -- it's not private information, which proves it's not your item.

3kuf0ugfsh0hsdfhg0hs00sd0fdh0gs0sok3.jpg

Just leave a private message for eBay on Facebook here (or open a one-time, throwaway Facebook account) with your name and so on, and tell eBay you have a weight problem, to get your refund in one step.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for this tip! @bctk5292 

I'm sending a message through facebook right now and will keep this thread updated with the events.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I had the same thing happen today in UK, ordered item on 4th April, left until 15th April as my messages were not being answered, I sent an item not received to ebay, suddenly was given a tracking number for Amazon which said it was delivered 15th, clicked on number through ebay and it wasn’t recognised, went onto Amazon Logistics (parcelsapp.com) and came up that it had been delivered to a completely different area of the country, so the scam is they put in a tracking number for a different item to a different address, when its been delivered they use that tracking number on your item which then comes up as delivered. I did get my money back and they were taken off ebay, but does’t take away the fact I waited 11 days and the agro and anxiety it all caused, should be able to buy safely on such a platform, luckly I was able to track on Amazon Logistics as you are unable to track through Amazon unless you are the sender, they ask you to deal direct with the third party which I could not as they had been removed.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Carrier may not be able to tell you recipients address etc but all carriers use a Global Positioning scan that they keep in their databases showing the exact location that this package was delivered. Ask the carrier to include the GPS coordinates in the case submitted to ebay so they know without a doubt this package NEVER MADE IT TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It’s not baffling that this happens. Researching where these packages end up is very labor intensive for ebay. They do not have the staff dedicated to do this, or a formal way to do this. You must submit proof of where this package ended up to them.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Scammers with this scam count on the seller or the buyer doing nothing to research and report what has actually happened. What they do not take into account is that all these shipments can be 100 percent verified through Global Positioning scans as to where they were delivered. Buyer/seller must be proactive and get the relevant info from the carrier the GPS coordinate confirms without a doubt where this package ended up without the need to give recipients name address. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay should not allow MANUAL placement of a tracking number. It should be direct from the carrier but ebay allows sellers and buyers to enter their own tracking from postage paid through their own post office. Hard to stop that.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@kazziesattic,

Since you are located in the U.K. how you go about getting the information you need may differ from what we have to do here in the U.S..  You should post your issues on your home site's community to get the best answers.

https://community.ebay.co.uk/

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 9
latest reply