cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Professional bidder drove up hundreds of graphics card auctions

They drove up the prices of hundreds of graphics card auctions, usually followed by zero-review bidders to avoid liabilities.

Here is his bidding history

30-Day Summary

Total bids: 599
Items bid on: 598
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Professional bidder drove up hundreds of graphics card auctions

A seller can block bidders during an auction with "zero-feedbacks or many retractions"....it's up to a seller what they wish to do. You have the option not to bid on the item.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Graphics cards are one of the biggest targets for scams and cheaters.  But even I'm seeing foul play there.  That's a lot of questionable bidding going on.

One more reason I won't sell late model cards on eBay any more.   I have a 3070Ti sitting behind me on the shelf not being used, still in its original box.  But not listing it on here.  No way in hell.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I tried but it doesn't work. They bid up the prices on almost all of graphics card auctions, putting them above "Buy It Now" listings of the same products. I ended up buying a new graphics card from Newegg. 

I think the professional bidders want to protect their business on ebay by disrupting the market price and hurting other sellers.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@galaxy386,

If you go to the auction's Bid History and check the See Automatic Bids, you will see that the bidder you are worried about has only placed one bid on the auction on the 19th at 12:33:47pm.  It is the (0) buyer who is driving up the price not them.

According to the person's bid history they have placed 1 automatic bid on each of those auctions, and it was probably for a lower price than the trending price for those items, hoping for a bargain, so they were outbid.  Not a smart way to bid if they are hoping to score a bargain, but a legitimate one. 

The 11 retractions they have may be due to (0) bidders bidding against them one bid increment at a time, uncovering their maximum bid, then retracting their bid leaving a***a the high bidder.

FYI, Gator is right about graphic cards being a high scam item on ebay.  Bidding on one of those listed by a seller with (0) increases your chances of running into a scam.  Even if the seller is legit, as a (0) New seller they probably do not know about the 21-30 hold eBay places on the first few payments received by all new sellers, and they will not know how to deal with it. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply