cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pirated Adobe products sold as new, seems a common scam

Hi,

I often see Sellers with very little history trying to sell Adobe CS6-era products as if they were new and unused.

For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386783858156?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=...

The telling remarks:

"Includes serial key, validation code and installation disc. This is a stand alone version so the program Can Not Be Registered. The serial key can ONLY activate the program it can not be registered."

The point here is that it can't be registered by an eBay Buyer because the Adobe serial number - if still legitimate - has likely been activated against an Adobe account already.  Without the current registrant submitting a Transfer of Ownership to Adobe, the Buyer won't be able to actually "own" that copy of the product.

The box has fresh shrinkwrap to make it seem brand new, but you can see its condition beneath that fresh wrapping.

I sometimes report these to eBay and they usually decline to take no action, so are essentially allowing sales of pirated of software on their site.

Is there any way beyond reports to inform eBay that this is a common and illegal practice for pirating older Adobe products?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Unless you are a representative of Adobe and a Vero member eBay won't do anything.

You could contact Adobe and alert them of the listings. They would probably need to become Vero members. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Unless you are a representative of Adobe and a Vero member eBay won't do anything.

You could contact Adobe and alert them of the listings. They would probably need to become Vero members. 

I tried to get a membership

xadexane_0-1712464535886.jpeg

and they wanted a green card?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@xadexane 

Ebay's Verified Rights Owner program (VeRO) and Venmo are two completely unrelated concepts. Venmo is a payment system that eBay has nothing to do with. VeRO is an eBay program that allows owners of intellectual property (IP) rights and their authorized representatives to report eBay listings that may infringe on those rights. Here's more info on VeRO: 

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/ebay-for-business/verified-rights-owner-program

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

VERO, not Venmo.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@xadexane 

Sorry, I don't know anything about Venmo. I don't even know why you are quoting me with that. 
I was talking to the OP about getting Adobe to join eBay's VERO program. Whatever Venmo is that's not what I was referring to.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply