cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No recourse for partial order

I ordered two of an item and only received one. I then wrote to the seller 3 times with no reply.  I notified eBay and got a form letter from eBay stating “that the item was shipped and received”.  Obviously there is no protection if a shipper only ships part of the order!!  So, apparently, if you order 10 of something and the shipper only sends 2, you have no recourse!!!!! Unbelievable!!!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: No recourse for partial order

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

@ky9991 wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Actually, I don't believe eBay will ever force a partial refund. 

That's how "How many items do you want to return?" works: A buyer is returning fewer than the full quantity to get a reduced refund which reflects the partial return.

It is up to the seller if they want to issue a partial refund. Partial refunds CANNOT be demanded by the buyer.  

The seller doesn't have a choice. 

r3djsfjpdsjfpojpdospfpodsjopfjpodjspofjpodsjfpodsjk3.jpg

If the buyer ordered 5 items, and is returning 2 items --

eBay displays the partial refund for 2 of the 5 items to the buyer --

even before the buyer clicks "Request a return" to open a case against the seller.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

It said that “returns are not accepted” and doesn’t give me an option of “item not as described”.  So, as I was so aptly told in one of the other comments, in my “ignorance”, I filed an “item not received” dispute with an explanation in the comments box.  What is the purpose of a comments box if no one reads the comments??    I neither case, it now says my case was closed and it won’t let me open another case!!  

I might add that of the four that I ordered (two packages of two), two were received and one of those has a badly broken lid.  So,  I would gladly return the two that I received if I could!!  

Over the past 22 years, I have been came to eBay for nearly everything I purchase.  The fact that you can no longer speak with a customer service representative and are forced to maneuver the user unfriendly website makes me reluctant to use eBay in the future.  This entire experience has made me question eBay’s supposed “buyer protection” and I think in the future Amazon will be getting a lot more of my business.  

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

It’s saying the since i filed an “item not received” dispute, with a comment explaining that only half of the order was in the box, the case is closed and it doesn’t give me an option to open another.  

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

When I click on “return this item” it just responds with a prompt stating that this seller does not accept returns and for me to contact the seller (which I did).  It’s truly ridiculous that I’ve spent this much time trying to get this handled!

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Can someone PLEASE post the link to file an “item not as described” return case after a case has been on inaccurately filed and closed??   

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Granted, in my “ignorance”, I filed the wrong type of case solely because it said that the buyer does not accept returns. It does not give me the option of “item not as described”. So, what do you do in that case?  

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

That’s fine but it won’t let me return them.  It directs me to contact the seller.  

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

The most likely reason the not as described option isn't available is that it's been more than 30 days since you received the package. There's a 30-day deadline to open a not as described case under the MBG.

If you paid with Paypal you have 180 days to open a case there. But before you do, sign up for their Return Shipping on Us program (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns) so you don't have to pay for return shipping.

If you paid with a credit card, contact the card issuer to dispute the charge.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Put in a dispute with credit card used. I filed  for a full refund after I got only a partial refund and my bank gave me the other partial refund I was missing.

And be honest with leaving feedback for the seller.

And be very professional and business like when doing these things

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

The most likely reason the not as described option isn't available is that it's been more than 30 days since you received the package. There's a 30-day deadline to open a not as described case under the MBG.

If you paid with Paypal you have 180 days to open a case there. But before you do, sign up for their Return Shipping on Us program (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns) so you don't have to pay for return shipping.

If you paid with a credit card, contact the card issuer to dispute the charge.

And since you said one of the set of 2 that you received has a broken lid, forget about the partial and return everything and get all of your money back.

The problem here is this:  You filed an item not received dispute; however, you actually DID receive something.  eBay saw that and disqualified your request as bogus.

You needed to open an item not as described case.  Unfortunately, eBay gives you only one chance at a case. If you paid with Paypal, you can open an item not as described case there.  Or, last chance, do a charge back on your card.  

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@soh.maryl 

Ebay does allow a not as described case to be opened after a not received case has been closed. It's the other way around that they prohibit.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Thank you for the reminder.  

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

If you are unable to proceed with eBay, go to your Paypal account and open a Not As Described dispute.

PP will insist that you return the partial shipment with tracking to the seller, but when tracking shows delivery, you can claim your refund.

If that is unsuccessful, go to your credit card about a chargeback. Policies differ from card to card, just call the number on the back of the card or on your monthly invoice.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

Exact same issue. And, I provided PROOF, as the mailer would not have fit the other item, with multiple pictures. Absolutely disgraceful. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply