cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need insight regarding odd return/refund situation

I've returned a few items on eBay before and it's always been pretty simple and clear. My current situation has me a little confused, so I'd like some clarification if anyone is willing to help. 

I recently purchased a 3DS game. Item arrived late and the case was not included, just the 3DS card. The original sale clearly stated the case was included. Not a big deal, I opened a case and requested a return label for a refund due to missing parts. (no seller communication plus late shipping...a case was the best option I believe) Next day I get a notification the seller accepted the return and a return label was available to print. I then immediately receive another notification a refund had been issued. Here's where I'm confused...the case did not automatically close. The most current details in the case state the refund should be available within 2 days and I can open a money back guarantee case if it is not. I see the refund on my paypal account, but no funds have hit either my paypal balance or my bank account yet. (I believe the refund will go to my bank account, so if that takes a few days I get it). With the case not being automatically closed...and a label being issued only minutes before a refund...and the seller not responding...I don't know what to do. Is there a situation where I mail this item back with the provided label and somehow find myself out the item and the money? I'm just confused because the return process, at least up until now, has always been clear and simple. Do I hold onto the item until I can confirm I have the refund? Does the label somehow...I don't know...expire or invalidate when a refund is issued? 

Any thoughts are appreciated. I don't care one bit about returning the item, I'm just confused given the totality of the circumstances. Thanks. 

Edit: I actually just tried to go in to print the return label to get it all ready, but it wouldn't even let me do that. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Seller doesn't want it back; you can keep it. Look at the actual transaction details page for your payment to see the progress of your refund; it's likely waiting on the seller to transfer funds in to their account.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

If seller has already given your refund, the case should be closed.

The refund will go back to the original source.

Depending on how you paid, it could take a couple days to a few weeks  for the refund to show up.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I checked paypal a little more thoroughly and the refund clearly says "pending". I'm guessing that's why the case isn't closed yet. The seller has initiated a refund, but I haven't received it. Perhaps the case will automatically close when the refund clears. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@frogpants1701 wrote:

I've returned a few items on eBay before and it's always been pretty simple and clear. My current situation has me a little confused, so I'd like some clarification if anyone is willing to help. 

I recently purchased a 3DS game. Item arrived late and the case was not included, just the 3DS card. The original sale clearly stated the case was included. Not a big deal, I opened a case and requested a return label for a refund due to missing parts. (no seller communication plus late shipping...a case was the best option I believe) Next day I get a notification the seller accepted the return and a return label was available to print. I then immediately receive another notification a refund had been issued. Here's where I'm confused...the case did not automatically close. The most current details in the case state the refund should be available within 2 days and I can open a money back guarantee case if it is not. I see the refund on my paypal account, but no funds have hit either my paypal balance or my bank account yet. (I believe the refund will go to my bank account, so if that takes a few days I get it). With the case not being automatically closed...and a label being issued only minutes before a refund...and the seller not responding...I don't know what to do. Is there a situation where I mail this item back with the provided label and somehow find myself out the item and the money? I'm just confused because the return process, at least up until now, has always been clear and simple. Do I hold onto the item until I can confirm I have the refund? Does the label somehow...I don't know...expire or invalidate when a refund is issued? 

Any thoughts are appreciated. I don't care one bit about returning the item, I'm just confused given the totality of the circumstances. Thanks. 

Edit: I actually just tried to go in to print the return label to get it all ready, but it wouldn't even let me do that. 

I've had a refund issued prior to returning an item.  You should use the label provided to return the item.  If it doesn't print (I've also seen this), you may have to contact eBay and they can email you a link to print another one.  There shouldn't be any issue to receive your refund, but if there is you can contact eBay and they will make sure it's processed. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@frogpants1701 wrote:

I checked paypal a little more thoroughly and the refund clearly says "pending". I'm guessing that's why the case isn't closed yet. The seller has initiated a refund, but I haven't received it. Perhaps the case will automatically close when the refund clears. 

I'm not sure how refunds work when the seller doesn't have enough money in their Pay Pal account?

If it's like an echeck, where they pull the money from the sellers back up funding source, it might take a couple days to clear.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@frogpants1701,

The reason the refund may be Pending, is because you have not printed and used the return shipping label yet.  I believe the tracking has to show acceptance by a carrier or post office, before you will get the funds released.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply