cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misdelivered package

So, I have a package marked 'Delivered' to my business by the USPS, saying put in a mailbox.  Our business had closed 1 hour prior to the delivery time and we don't have a mailbox.  This happens from time to time with the USPS, but usually waiting a few days to a week, the package shows up.  It has been 2 weeks for this one, so I reached out to the Postmaster at our branch.  I was told 'Yes.  It wasn't delivered properly or to the right address and in fact there were no GPS coordinates to show where it was delivered, which I was told was a no-no.'  I was told they were investigating.  I opened up a missing package case with eBay and they immediately said it was delivered and they closed the case.  So, thru eBay, if the seller contracts out with a shipper to ship a package and the shipper fails to deliver, the buyer is responsible and eBay turns a blind eye?  Even when there is evidence presented of a misdelivery?  The buyer has no say in the seller's choice of a shipper, but it looks like has all the risk if the package is misdelivered.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Misdelivered package

First step - enter the tracking or contact shipper and check the address on the shipping doc is correct and is yours, some sellers run a scam by delivering an item to an incorrect address and so long as it has the correct post  zip code it will show as delivered.

Once you check this come back here for assitance.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

The addressed package was the correct address.  USPS has confirmed that the package was not delivered properly.  According to the Postmaster at our branch, 'Delivered' does not necessarily mean delivered to the proper location, as many people seem to think and take as proof.  'Delivered' simply means delivered or left somewhere.  To get the actual place of delivery, you need to call and get the GPS coordinates of where the package was scanned.  This is not given in the tracking info.  Many times, a note is left that may provide additional information, which is left by a driver and may not be totally accurate.   In my case, this package (which is still out there somewhere) had several red flags, which was 1) says delivered to my business after hours, and 2) put in a mailbox (we don't have a mailbox - you must come into our facility to deliver mail).  The 3rd red flag was that the package was never scanned at delivery and does not show any GPS coordinates.  So, the USPS is still investigating, but has confirmed that the package could not have been delivered to our location.  The problem is that Sellers automatically get defensive when they see 'Delivered' on packages, when in fact that doesn't mean it actually was unless you check with the USPS on the scanned GPS delivery coordinates.  I just had another package that said delivered 7 days ago, but the GPS coordinates showed a building down the street.  We just got that one in.  So, delivered did not mean delivered to our location.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

@suttonm,

Due to the USPS'  privacy policy they are not going to tell you a shipping label's address over the phone.  You have to go to the P.O. with proof that you are the addressee and ask if the label address an yours match, and if the package type, size, weight match what you should receive. If the info doesn't match you ask the counter person for a note on USPS stationary stating in general what does not match, they can't give specifics, the note needs to be signed dated give the P.O. zip and phone number just in case.

If you file an ebay item not received dispute it will be declined because their automated system can only look for a Delivered scan.  They are not a partner to the shipping contract and are not entitled to more info.  You can appeal the decision and when you do there is a place to add a clear photo or scan of the note to the appeal, that will get you a refund since appeals are looked at by a person not a computer.(link below)

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

Not correct in our case.  Actually, because of periodic misdelivery of packages, we do get information over the phone by our USPS branch and they actually call us back and give us any updated information.   They know who we are, and we can call the Postmaster directly at our specific branch when a package is missing.  All I know is that they have confirmed that this particular package, with that tracking number, with the proper address, was not delivered properly to our address and they are working on trying to find the package. 

Buyers are not partners to the shipping contract either.  That is the seller's contract on who they pick.  The buyer has no say in who the seller selects as a shipper.  But, the buyer does assume all the risk, if the package says 'Delivered', even if there is proof that it hasn't been.  If the buyer can't provide proof, then that's a different story.   There are a lot of dishonest people out there, so I get the hesitancy. 

I get that eBay has an automated system, but when the USPS says that 'Delivered' doesn't necessary mean delivered correctly to the proper location, that just means the buyer could get screwed, without being part of any of the process.  If the seller has their money, they are less likely to help out and just say 'Delivered - Sorry'.

Anyway, hopefully, the package will show up.  As I mentioned, one showed up yesterday that showed 'Delivered' a week ago.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

Since the Post Office you talked to can only state it was 'delivered' but not to you'- how do they know that? They've already confirmed there was no GPS done so they have no idea what was done.

Doubtful that the PM at your local office would ever go on record stating 'delivered does not mean delivered correctly' and I'm 100% positive that is NOT the mantra of the USPS. in fact, I'm sure he'd be fired should the PM General ever get wind of this 'concept'. 

Regarding 'buyers not partners', yes- they are. Many sellers on ebay give multiple options for delivery so buyers DO pick and have a say. In fact, you get more coverage as a buyer here than you do on most other websites. Some of the largest companies in the world use this in their shipping policy: 

'risk of loss and title of products pass to you upon delivery of the Products to the carrier'.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

@suttonm wrote:

Not correct in our case.  Actually, because of periodic misdelivery of packages, we do get information over the phone by our USPS branch and they actually call us back and give us any updated information.   They know who we are, and we can call the Postmaster directly at our specific branch when a package is missing.  All I know is that they have confirmed that this particular package, with that tracking number, with the proper address, was not delivered properly to our address and they are working on trying to find the package. 

Buyers are not partners to the shipping contract either.  That is the seller's contract on who they pick.  The buyer has no say in who the seller selects as a shipper.  But, the buyer does assume all the risk, if the package says 'Delivered', even if there is proof that it hasn't been.  If the buyer can't provide proof, then that's a different story.   There are a lot of dishonest people out there, so I get the hesitancy. 

I get that eBay has an automated system, but when the USPS says that 'Delivered' doesn't necessary mean delivered correctly to the proper location, that just means the buyer could get screwed, without being part of any of the process.  If the seller has their money, they are less likely to help out and just say 'Delivered - Sorry'.

Anyway, hopefully, the package will show up.  As I mentioned, one showed up yesterday that showed 'Delivered' a week ago.

this is pretty much i like.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Misdelivered package

I don't work for the USPS, so I can't answer your question on how they know certain things?  I just know what I am told when I speak to the Postmaster.  And, by the fact that over the years, we have had many packages that have said 'Delivered' only to call the PO and them to say 'Nope, not delivered to you'.  And, then in a few days to a week, the package shows up where it was actually delivered to an apartment complex nearby or another business in our complex or even sent back to the Post Office.  All while saying 'Delivered' with the address being correct.   So, I have firsthand knowledge and the Post Office confirms that 'Delivered' doesn't necessarily mean properly.  They have to look up more specific information.  It sounds like you don't believe this at all, and that's fine, but that's the way it works for us.  If they don't find our package by the end of next week, they are refunding our cost for the item.  Which proves that 'Delivered' doesn't necessarily mean delivered properly.  You don't think the PO is on the ball and documents everything properly 100% of the time, do you?

True.  Some I have seen some sellers that do offer the buyer a choice of shipping.  I don't remember that ever happening to me, however.  It is always specifically stated in the description of a particular shipping method.

My whole point to this conversation was to inform that, according to the PO where I am, 'Delivered' on the tracking information doesn't necessarily mean to the right location (even if it says so) and more information is needed to validate the delivery location from the PO.  I would assume that applies to everywhere else as well, as I'm sure nobody thinks the PO is 100% correct on documentation and deliveries, except when you are a seller and a package is misdelivered.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply