cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item recieved not as described, I want to keep it but not happy with the amount I paid

I purchased a handbag recently for my Mum for Xmas. It wasn’t cheap - and was described as in ‘perfect condition’.

When I recieved the bag, all 4 corners of it are worn like they’ve been rubbed / it’s been used and the labels been put back on. I’m disappointed as I wouldn’t have paid the amount I did if I had known this at purchase.

This damage was also not visible in any of the photos on the listing. 

I’ve contacted the seller - and they’ve said they’re going to speak to the seller and seek legal advice as to what the next step should be. I’ve asked if they’re selling items on someone’s behalf (also not mentioned in the listing).

I basically want a partial refund. I want to keep the item but as it wasn’t as described and is not in ‘perfect’ condition, I don’t feel it’s worth the price I’ve paid, and I’m also disappointed as I’m giving it as a gift.

Is a partial refund possible? What should I do as a buyer in this situation? Many thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Item recieved not as described, I want to keep it but not happy with the amount I paid

If the item is not as described you would need to return it for a refund. 
Partial refunds is a seller’s decision to make and not something a buyer should request.

The seller doesn’t need to seek legal advice, they will either give you the refund or ask that you sent it back.  

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Given everything you stated in your post I would simply open a NAD claim through eBay or do a chargeback with your credit card company. Is it really something you want to give to your Mum for Christmas? There are probably more handbags like it available either on this site or others. 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Hello thanks for your reply - she showed me it as an item she’d like. It’s a handbag originally from America. I’ve looked elsewhere for a matching one and have had no luck with one in the UK. We both like finding stuff second hand, so I’m sure she would be ok with its condition. I’m more annoyed it wasn’t as described and I feel I’ve over paid. 

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

If you open a not as described case, the seller may offer you a partial refund to keep it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

@saltyslater,

As @ebooksdiva said, a partial refund is an option that the seller can suggest, but not the buyer. So you would need to open a return request, with the reason "not as described" and then wait and see if the seller offers you a partial refund. If not, then you will need to return the purse in order to get a full refund.

Buyers are not allowed to "demand" (or request, because it comes to the same thing) anything that was not included in the original listing, which includes asking for a partial refund. If you do that, then eBay considers that you have violated the Abusive Buyer policy. I'm sorry if that is disappointing, but eBay has taken this position many times,, according to posts from other buyers and sellers. So, you have to ask to return it for a full refund, and then see if the seller offers a partial refund instead.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

If you open a "Not As Described" return, the seller MAY offer a partial refund, but if you have already asked for some sort of refund, then they may just accept the return (and not offer the partial refund)

"Asking for legal advice" sounds like they are stalling you.  Open the return request today. 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Thank you - I haven’t asked for a partial refund, just stated I am disappointed as I wouldn’t have spent the amount I have if I’d known about the damage. I’ve opened a return request 🙂 thanks for the advice. 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@saltyslater 

You have a 30 money back guarantee that is offered to all buyers.  Open a return & send it back to the seller.  They should also send you a label to return it.  Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/returns-

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy

Have a great day in the UK!

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I’ve opened a returns request and will see what they offer. If I have to return will just have to find my Mum an alternative present! Thank you 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Open an item not as described case.

The seller can decide to have you return for full refund or they may decide a partial refund and you keep it is easier.

As a seller I have done both....I had a buyer purchase 2 of an item and one arrived slightly damaged so I asked them what they considered a fair partial refund for the damaged one (still use-able) we made a mutual decision and they kept both items and left great feedback.

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

More likely the Seller might offer you a partial refund, because the international shipping is expensive, and usually the Sellers lose much more money dealing with that. You won't know unless you file a claim. There is a chance as well you can say good bye to a purse, and get your money back.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I basically want a partial refund.

You can ask the seller for a partial refund, but you do not get to dictate how eBay return policy works. The seller can ask you to return the item for a full refund if he wants. 

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

It doesn't hurt  to message the seller and request a partial refund.  I wouldn't express that you are desperate to keep the purse, but are debating to either keep it or open a return case.   Either way it's up to the seller if they will refund you any money.    And if you open a return case, you will have to take pictures of the damaged edges to report it as damaged.   I understand it is disappointing,  but sometimes not worth the hassle.  I went through this with a Ceramic Cross I purchased, and the back was damaged, but I kept it because it was in the back and I still liked it (and it was a gift for my daughter).   

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@saltyslater wrote:

Thanks for all the advice everyone - I’ve opened a returns request and will see what they offer. If I have to return will just have to find my Mum an alternative present! Thank you 

Probably a good idea and tbh if it were me I'd just return it.

I don't think you're going to get very far with any seller who thinks they "have to seek legal advice" over something like this.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 15 of 29
latest reply