cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item recieved not as described, I want to keep it but not happy with the amount I paid

I purchased a handbag recently for my Mum for Xmas. It wasn’t cheap - and was described as in ‘perfect condition’.

When I recieved the bag, all 4 corners of it are worn like they’ve been rubbed / it’s been used and the labels been put back on. I’m disappointed as I wouldn’t have paid the amount I did if I had known this at purchase.

This damage was also not visible in any of the photos on the listing. 

I’ve contacted the seller - and they’ve said they’re going to speak to the seller and seek legal advice as to what the next step should be. I’ve asked if they’re selling items on someone’s behalf (also not mentioned in the listing).

I basically want a partial refund. I want to keep the item but as it wasn’t as described and is not in ‘perfect’ condition, I don’t feel it’s worth the price I’ve paid, and I’m also disappointed as I’m giving it as a gift.

Is a partial refund possible? What should I do as a buyer in this situation? Many thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Item recieved not as described, I want to keep it but not happy with the amount I paid

@saltyslater 

Please make sure you come back and let us know the resolution!

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Re: Item recieved not as described, I want to keep it but not happy with the amount I paid

Will do 🙂

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

As a seller, if a buyer states that the item is not as described, I would want them to return the item. If a buyer tells me that the item is not as described and they want a partial refund...I want them to return the item. The only time I may offer partial refunds if we made a mistake and in most case I tell them to keep the item and give them a full refund...price of doing business. Unfortunately, the seller could think you are a scammer because you state that the item is not as described; however, the pictures do no show the damage you mention and on top of that you want a partial refund...put yourself in the sellers position (I am offering a scenario, I am not saying you are a scammer). My advice to you...return the purse as item not as described and get the person another gift because you are not going to be happy. Just vision, they are opening the gift and you are explaining how you got it off of eBay and pointing out the flaws...embarrassing!

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

What is the latest on this? Just wondering, @saltyslater 

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Hello, I found an alternative bag which has arrived with no damage and as described. The seller did offer a partial refund of £30.00 which I wasn’t happy with, and due to finding another item I’m now just hoping to return the item for a full refund. Hopefully when/if they relist it they are honest about its condition. 

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

Hello hope everyone’s well - quick update - the seller was using unnecessary legal jargon again saying once the bag had been returned it would be passed to legal representation and only then would a refund be issued. So I obviously got eBay to step in and they have closed the case in my favour. I’ve bought a new sturdier box and bubble wrap to send the item back in and am going to photograph it well so I have proof of how it was when I sent it back in case of any false accusations. Thanks again for all the help. 

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@saltyslater wrote:

I’m more annoyed it wasn’t as described and I feel I’ve over paid. 

Don't be a sucker, just return for refund , item not as described

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

track the shipment back to the seller, photos don't verify delivery

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

You have 30 days after you received it to open an item not as described case.

The seller is not required to offer you a partial refund, but he might do so, given the fact that, if you open that case and then escalate it, he'll be required to send you a prepaid shipping label and to refund in full when he gets the purse back.  

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

It seems like the OP has shown the purse to her mother and mom still would like to have the purse as her Christmas gift.  

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

The return label that the seller will be required to send the buyer will include tracking.

But, since the buyer has already been refunded, not sure where he will get a return label.  

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

Hello - I posted an update today:

Hello hope everyone’s well - quick update - the seller was using unnecessary legal jargon again saying once the bag had been returned it would be passed to legal representation and only then would a refund be issued. So I obviously got eBay to step in and they have closed the case in my favour. I’ve bought a new sturdier box and bubble wrap to send the item back in and am going to photograph it well so I have proof of how it was when I sent it back in case of any false accusations. Thanks again for all the help. 

I found an alternative item that arrived as described with no damage 🙂 so will be gifting that to Mum instead! 

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

Thank you - I’ve used the returns labelled supplied on the return request 

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hello hope everyone’s well - I have returned the bag using the postage label supplied on the returns request. Recieved my refund today. Thank you again for everyone’s help! 

Message 29 of 29
latest reply