cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone else angry that sellers mislead their location and where they manufacture and ship from??

I would like to know if any other buyers out there have experienced sellers listing items for sale with their business located in North America, only to find out that they are actually manufacturing and sending from India.  If you lucky they might actually disclose this at bottom of the body of the listing, however most of the time not at all.   I find it really frustrating that E-bay allows this to happen.  The listing will say "Free Shipping"  and "Seller location  Anytown, USA", but for many sellers that is a lie; a bait and switch if you will.  Over the years I have found that a good indicator of a seller not disclosing where they actually are located and where the items they are selling are made and shipped from is when it says "This item has an extended handling time and a delivery estimate greater than xx business days"  Like I said, it frustrates me that E-bay allows these sellers to do business like this on the site, and it has been going on forever.   Would like to know what other buyers think and if they have seen or experienced the same thing.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Is anyone else angry that sellers mislead their location and where they manufacture and ship from??

@aquitania* wrote:

Like I said, it frustrates me that E-bay allows these sellers to do business like this on the site, and it has been going on forever.   Would like to know what other buyers think and if they have seen or experienced the same thing. 

My thoughts are that while this practice has been going on for a long while, it's not nearly as prevalent as it used to be, but perhaps that's because I'm in Canada and some if not many of those listings may not be visible to me if those sellers only ship to the US.

I think eBay allows it in the same manner as law enforcement allows me to do double the speed limit in a school zone.  It's just difficult to enforce in a consistent manner and reports from the community are required to alert those in charge.

As for being angry about it, it's an annoyance, but I feel there are better things out there to get angry about if anger is your thing.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

what angers me is the buyer still has to pay international fee charge 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@oaklandmaryland wrote:

what angers me is the buyer still has to pay international fee charge 

What "international fee" paid by the buyer do you mean, @oaklandmaryland?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

What "international fee" does a buyer whose location is in the USA pay?  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

What "international fee" paid by the buyer do you mean

Some US credit cards charge an international fee of around 2 or 3% of the total if the transaction involves an overseas payment. Typically this fee appears on a credit card statement as a separate line item, not part of the eBay transaction.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/foreign-transaction-fee

To avoid international fees, the OP may be able to find a credit card or an alternative payment method that does not levy such fees, or the OP may want to take steps to avoid buying from sellers registered in other countries.

Although some US sellers may be drop-shipping items from overseas, if the OP is being charged an international fee, typically that means the seller is using an overseas bank, and quite often the seller is registered overseas as well.

Some of those sellers can be identified by examining the seller feedback page for clues -- where the seller is registered, and what sort of feedback the seller receives for selling.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If a listing doesn't seem legit, I don't buy it. I don't have the energy to be angry about something when I can simply avoid it. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply