cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view my @members.ebay.com address?

A seller has used my anonymised "@members.ebay.com" address as my contact email for FedEx. I can't manage the FedEx booking (i.e. rearrange a delivery date) without this email address. Is there any way I can find out what it is? I understand it is unique to each purchase or buyer/seller relationship. 

I tried messaging a friend but they got a completely different email address (I know the first digit of the one I need). 

I've asked the seller what email address they used, but if they can't tell me is there a way I can find out what my "@members.ebay.com" address is for that conversation?

I tried ebay help on the phone but bless them they barely had a clue what I was talking about. Managed to eventually get them to understand but I don't hold out much hope of them coming back with a response. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Why would you need to "i.e. rearrange a delivery date?" 

Presumably, you saw the listing, saw the shipping method, saw the seller's handling time and ebay estimated delivery date. If all those details aligned for you, you buy. And if there's any reason to change anything, those questions should be presented to the seller BEFORE the purchase. 

There shouldn't be a reason the "rearrange" anything - not the delivery date, not the delivery address, or anything else. 

In the minds of many sellers, such a request smells like a scam, especially from a member who clearly has a history and would (presumably IMO) have no legit reason for using an anonymous guest account.

Maybe I'm too cynical but your request raises red flags in the mind of this poster.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

In the minds of many sellers, such a request smells like a scam, especially from a member who clearly has a history and would (presumably IMO) have no legit reason for using an anonymous guest account.

You've completely misunderstood. I did not use a guest account. When you message someone on ebay the email they receive will display a sender's email address. Ebay's system anonymises it rather than providing your personal address to them. This allows you to respond to the email rather than having to use ebay's messaging system on the app or website. It still appears in your ebay chat because it's routed through ebay. It keeps everything on ebay's system. Here it is explained in their policy - https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/membertomember-contact-policy

The issue is that the seller has used my system generated ebay email and not my personal one and I want to see what that is so I can see my options for FedEx dropping it off at my local dropoff point instead of my house. It's the entire reason FedEx ask for the recipient's email. 

There shouldn't be a reason the "rearrange" anything - not the delivery date, not the delivery address, or anything else. 

Yes there should, it's a basic functionality of almost every courier here, and the entire reason FedEx emailed me in the first place, and why the sender provided FedEx with my email address (and why FedEx asked for it). It gives access to updates on tracking and control over it (whether to change the date, have it delivered to a drop-off point, etc. - all VERY normal functions of a recipient).

If this raises red flags with you then we clearly live in very different environments. I see from your profile that you're in the USA (despite your name). I don't know what systems you have there but your experience is clearly irrelevant to mine.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I see from your profile that you're in the USA (despite your name). I don't know what systems you have there but your experience is clearly irrelevant to mine.

Then every response you receive here will be irrelevant, as you've posted in the US forums. I suggest you hop back across the pond to the UK forums, which may give you more relevant answers. 

https://community.ebay.co.uk/

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No it just means that instead of addressing my actual query, someone has tried to judge the situation (and demonstrated a lack of knowledge about how ebay works).

There's no reason why the US forum wouldn't be able to provide the answer I'm looking for.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@superhans87 wrote:

You've completely misunderstood. I did not use a guest account. When you message someone on ebay the email they receive will display a sender's email address. Ebay's system anonymises it rather than providing your personal address to them.

If this raises red flags with you then we clearly live in very different environments. I see from your profile that you're in the USA (despite your name). I don't know what systems you have there but your experience is clearly irrelevant to mine.

I apologize. I'm not sure why I thought you had used a guest account. 

I'm well aware of "how ebay works" as well as why they anonymize email addresses. It's ebay's way of mitigating the opportunity for buyers and sellers to take transactions off-site, thus preventing ebay from being able to collect the FVF they earned. (There was a time when email addies weren't anonymized and nefarious activities occurred.)

As for rearranging Fedex delivery, as suggested by @kathiec , I recommend you visit the UK boards because here in the US, fedex delivers without any "arrangements" of date and time.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You are awfully wrong on that. I ordered an item from the other side of the world so it can't possibly tell the exact date at purchase. Now I received a notification that it's going to arrive the very same day when I'm in the office so I can't accept the package that day. The scenario you painted works in a dream like scenario but not in real life. There IS a perfectly valid reason to be able to rearrange. If the courier is here when I'm not home I should be able to ask them to deliver the next day. You reply **bleep** me off a little, sounds like it's from someone who doesn't have real life experience and always does everything by the book.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

There is no need for the put downs. In the US we are not required to know how shipping  and delivery works in the UK.

In the US the buyer can't pick and choose their delivery date. It is an estimate. A FedEX carrier leaves it on the porch. They have no idea if you're  home or not. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

What is wrong with you?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply