cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GENUINE LEATHER

Ebay has got to STOP allowing the use of PU Leather being sold as GENUINE LEATHER!!!

I am fed up to the back teeth having to send back PU Leather products, advertised as Genuine Leather. How can they be allowed to advertise and sell as Genuine, when it IS NOT!!

How can we prevent this stupid trade being carried on??

PLEASE  HELP TO PUT A  STOP TO IT NOW - ebay, Please?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: GENUINE LEATHER

Hi @digiredremi 

It’s the same principle as calling Chicken  McNuggets ‘chicken’.  😏

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

Yeah it's slick advertising, technically it is still genuine (as in genuine counterfeit).

I suppose you could try reporting those listings as such (counterfeit, or doesn't seem authentic) but it seems like a losing battle to me...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I hate to say this, but the fact is that a great many people cannot tell real leather from the various artificial ones -- so even if all sellers were honest, you'd still get a lot of plastic listed as "genuine leather."

I see this all the time with other materials, as well, and have seen it for many years.   A lot of people cannot distinguish between resin and bone, between glass and ceramic, between real wood and the wood-like compounds, and so on.

=

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Many sellers would not even know the difference.   That is a downside in venues like this. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

There is no such thing as a "genuine counterfeit." It's a contradiction in terms, and PU Leather is PLASTIC, not leather.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Nope. "PU Leather" is plastic and contains no leather. This is nothing like calling McNuggets--which actually contain chicken-- "chicken." 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@digiredremi 

So what do you propose eBay do? I just did a search for 'leather', and there currently are more than 18 million listings. Do you honestly think eBay can determine if all those listings are genuine? But I'll go you one better: Do you honestly think it's possible for eBay to determine if an item is genuine without physically inspecting it?

What eBay does have is a Money Back Guarantee, so if you buy an item listed as genuine leather that's not you can return it, at the seller's expense, for a full refund. Given the impossibility of vetting the hundreds of millions of items on the site, it's the best they can do.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Genuine Naugahyde -- ""Do you know how many Naugas went into that jacket??" 😆

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

When I was a child the big rage was unborn calf leather. The big joke in my family was to say that vinyl tablecloths were 'unborn oilcloth'. Hey, we were a laugh a minute around my house!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply