cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything Now Retail Priced?

I have not purchased anything on e-bay for months because it's just too expensive.  It used to be the worlds biggest garage sale market for those kind of pre-sold items, but all have as 'brand new' prices. I used to Christmas shop to find those items one can only find on e-Bay to give as much desired gifts.

Stuff I used to search for and get bargains are now as much as new or more.  The greed is too much, especially when some tack on even more to the shipping.  I just looked at a listing for a lightweight (polyester scarf) garment that was over $8 for shipping and over $10 to start bidding. There's not excuse for that.  Before you come up with excuses why this might be so, consider how many similar listings I have seen to make me not want to shop here.

In my opinion, this is why e-Bay is dying.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Everything Now Retail Priced?

If sellers don't make enough money they will stop selling. Economics tells us there is a sweet spot between the lines of supply and demand. If you only want low prices you can sort by price plus shipping. The beauty of ebay is that sellers can run their businesses as they see fit as long as they follow the rules.

Regardless other people are entitled to their opinions and volunteer to be here.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

It's caused a real gridlock in my area of collecting. A clueless Seller will put a $50 item on eBay - Buy It Now for $500 or Best Offer (They want the Buyer to price it for them, but they don't want to use the Auction venue which does just that.) So when I try to buy the same $50 item at a flea market or brick and mortar - they tell me it "Goes for $500" on eBay but they only want $400 for it. I have seen the market for many collectible items just freeze solid for a year or two - no one is buying them and no one is selling them - because the asking price or opening bid or Reserve is just way too high. 

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

The amount you are willing to pay is totally up to you.  However, it is up to the seller to price his merchandise as he sees fit.  If you think that you can purchase what you want from a flea market or garage sale, by all means, go for it.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@plumcrzy71 wrote:

I have not purchased anything on e-bay for months because it's just too expensive.  It used to be the worlds biggest garage sale market for those kind of pre-sold items, but all have as 'brand new' prices. I used to Christmas shop to find those items one can only find on e-Bay to give as much desired gifts.

Stuff I used to search for and get bargains are now as much as new or more.  The greed is too much, especially when some tack on even more to the shipping.  I just looked at a listing for a lightweight (polyester scarf) garment that was over $8 for shipping and over $10 to start bidding. There's not excuse for that.  Before you come up with excuses why this might be so, consider how many similar listings I have seen to make me not want to shop here.

In my opinion, this is why e-Bay is dying.

Gee...Would you sell your 1971 Chrysler "E" body, (pic too small to tell if it's a Challenger, or a 'Cuda) at  dealer, wholesale price?  Hmmm....Why not?

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

checkit

And why would you care what nonsensical  claims  are made  by a  Seller  at  a  Flea Market.Smiley SurprisedSmiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

I think, that some of you people, whining about prices, and your concept of what SHOULD, and should not  be, need to look up the term "FREE ENTERPRISE".... You seem to be ignorant of it's meaning.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@plumcrzy71 wrote:

OMG! I did not say I was looking at new items. I am looking at a simple practically swatch of polyester sheer material that would go for a $1 or so at a garage sale or fund raising store, with the minimum shipping.  

I thought this was posting to a buyers forum, I purposely didn't post to a sellers area to avoid seller whining about stuff I didn't even say. 

All I said was that the prices of used merchandise (collectibles, for example) has gone to new retail and I am no longer interested in buying because of that. Some of the stuff I used to buy was from estate sales, where someone picks up a bunch of stuff for a song and I am looking for one specific item that to them, looks like an afterthought. I am not going to pay NOS prices for used stuff!

Some of the listings say they are new without tags items, but we all know that it's stuff they got off the clearance rack and are charging full retail for them. 

If you're going to have a business like this, then figure out buyers want a deal of some kind, or let's face it, you aren't going to sell anything. Show me a reason to buy from you when I can go and shop clearance racks on my own and not have to pay for shipping.  When there is a Make an Offer, I always come to an agreement with the seller.  I don't offer low ball amounts that waste their time. 

There aren't nearly as many listings for making an offer anymore.  And the cheap stuff is overpriced.

If you have a problem with what I am saying, maybe you are not understanding or you are in the wrong forum.

Nonsense.

I’m buying 25-30 auctions a month and I’m literally paying pennies on the dollar. I’ve never seen prices so low. It’s like a giant sale at Bloomies. 

Shipping costs are are not great but when I’m getting a blouse that retails for $75 for maybe $3-$4, I’ll pay it.

Some sellers have delusions of grandeur but most of them just want to move their merchandise.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@plumcrzy71 wrote:

OMG! I did not say I was looking at new items. I am looking at a simple practically swatch of polyester sheer material that would go for a $1 or so at a garage sale or fund raising store, with the minimum shipping.  

I thought this was posting to a buyers forum, I purposely didn't post to a sellers area to avoid seller whining about stuff I didn't even say. 

All I said was that the prices of used merchandise (collectibles, for example) has gone to new retail and I am no longer interested in buying because of that. Some of the stuff I used to buy was from estate sales, where someone picks up a bunch of stuff for a song and I am looking for one specific item that to them, looks like an afterthought. I am not going to pay NOS prices for used stuff!

Some of the listings say they are new without tags items, but we all know that it's stuff they got off the clearance rack and are charging full retail for them. 

If you're going to have a business like this, then figure out buyers want a deal of some kind, or let's face it, you aren't going to sell anything. Show me a reason to buy from you when I can go and shop clearance racks on my own and not have to pay for shipping.  When there is a Make an Offer, I always come to an agreement with the seller.  I don't offer low ball amounts that waste their time. 

Sellers are not here to give things away.  They decide what their price will be, not the buyer.   While you don't have to pay for shipping, you do have to spend your time, gas, and effort, and even then you may have nothing to show for your efforts, when you might have spent much less time and expense if you bought it here.   

There aren't nearly as many listings for making an offer anymore.  And the cheap stuff is overpriced.

If you have a problem with what I am saying, maybe you are not understanding or you are in the wrong forum.

With all due respect, another major factor is your convenience.  You are stressing yard sale or fund raising thrift store prices, but you are not buying there, you are buying on Ebay.  

The seller had to go to that yard or garage sale, or thrift store, using their time and gas, choose and inspect the item,  decide if there would be interest in it, take it home, possibly clean or repair it, take pictures, take measurements, create a listing, then pack and ship it, which could involve a trip to and from the Post Office.

You, on the other hand, are spared the actual physical hunting and can just purchase with a click, sitting at home in your pj's if you care to.

You are comparing apples with oranges, but of course you are entitled to your opinion, and are free to shop wherever you want.  Another thing to consider, though, while you save on shipping, and possibly the item, you are spending gas, time, and effort to pursue what you may or may not find, when you might have saved all those things had you bought it on Ebay.  

Wishing you good luck!

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

The best way to ship a scarf to you (presuming both of you are in the U.S.) would be via Priority Mail. An ethical seller wouldn't stuff a scarf into a flat-rate cardboard mailer, because the scarf might get damaged by USPS postal machine equipment. So the best way would be a flat-rate smaller box, and I've been out of the selling game for a few years now, but the last time I shipped anything recently using Priority Mail, it cost me around $7.

In 16+ years of eBay selling, I shipped my packages Priority Mail almost from day one. It was the best way to protect my rights as a seller because I always had proof of mailing, receipt and delivery with the tracking number.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@hawkwind5454 wrote:

Gee...Would you sell your 1971 Chrysler "E" body, (pic too small to tell if it's a Challenger, or a 'Cuda) at  dealer, wholesale price?  Hmmm....Why not?

No, I would not sell my Challenger because *I* want it.  It's a rare and desirable car that is a serious collectors item. What does that have to do with the markup of clearance items?

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

You want items for a song not taking into consideration the actual cost of postage and supply - let alone the fees we pay. If you think it's too much - there's a back button - that's what I do. If I can get something cheaper at a B&M - then I hop in my car and go and get it.

There are many people willing to pay a little more for even used items. Jeans that fit great but the manufacturer's have altered the style and they don't fit as well now - but they'll find the old style on Ebay. Concert tees that they never purchased when they went to the concert - now they want one - they'll find it on Ebay = may be someone's elses second - but that buyer is glad to find it.

As far as the NWOT - I've had several items that I cut the tags off of - stick them in my drawer and never wear them - they are still new - but without the tags - or I may purchase somethings and the tags fall off - still new without tags.

If Ebay no longer works for you that's fine - but it works fine for millions of others.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

I agree 8 dollars is too much of a shipping cost for the item you described so I would avoid buying it on that alone, I'm not so sure that is so much greed though it could just be idiocy, but it all depends on the what the item is really if I would consider that price outrageous or not we would need more detailed information, brand and age of the item and condition play a large factor.

$8 doesn't even cover a 1 lb Priority Mail Package to zone 8 (Retail). There is no PM rate for less than 1 lb.

$8 will cover a Padded Flat Rate envelope.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm#_c031

pmretail.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I was speaking hypothetically, of course.  What I am saying is, money, is money...  The base line.  It makes no difference if it's a $10.00 item, or a $40,000.00 one; And It makes no different, if it is an item for re-sale, or something to have, and hold on to. It's easy to spot "cheapness" in others, but difficult to see it, in ourselves, because we all "justify" our reasons for being cheap.   Pricing is all accademic. An item is worth, what someone is willing (or NOT willing) to pay for it, and a seller has free will, to exploit this strategy, when selling.

@plumcrzy71 wrote:

No, I would not sell my Challenger because *I* want it.  It's a rare and desirable car that is a serious collectors item. What does that have to do with the markup of clearance items?

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

I agree 8 dollars is too much of a shipping cost for the item you described so I would avoid buying it on that alone, I'm not so sure that is so much greed though it could just be idiocy, but it all depends on the what the item is really if I would consider that price outrageous or not we would need more detailed information, brand and age of the item and condition play a large factor.

$8 doesn't even cover a 1 lb Priority Mail Package to zone 8 (Retail). There is no PM rate for less than 1 lb.

$8 will cover a Padded Flat Rate envelope.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/notice123.htm#_c031

pmretail.jpg

The item he described was made of a very light material weighing mere ounces and can be safely shipped first class in a box without being "wadded up" or "damaged" despite what someone else here claimed, so I'm not sure what your point in a price chart proves as the item was not a pound.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

My point is that some sellers only ship Priority, using Free PM boxes and envelopes.

A Padded FRE would be the way that type of seller would ship. And $8 covers that method of shipping plus a small handling charge.... The chart shows that it would not be overcharging at all ... for that service.

My second point is ... some buyers have no idea what shipping actually costs.

The chart shows rates for what would be small to medium weight items.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 30 of 30
latest reply