cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay reps & supervisors give conflicting information, yet won't stand by their words.

I purchased an ebay item and received a different item. I contacted the seller for a return label and did not receive one. I contacted ebay help for a label and was told if I did not receive a label within 4 business days, I would receive a refund and get to keep the item. 
After 5 business days, I did not have a label and contacted ebay for a refund. The rep opens a case and the supervisor, Niel Patrick, says to let the case close, to contact ebay for a refund (and I can keep the item).

The case closes, contact ebay and they open another case to process my refund, but the case is denied. I contact ebay again and chat with a supervisor, Kate. She reviews the multiple customer service chats, and acknowledges the conflicting information given to me by ebay, but says there is nothing she can do. 

This has been incredibly frustrating as I contacted ebay 5 times and chatted with 3 supervisor for almost 3 hours total time.  Really not fair since I received a different item than purchased. 

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 10.44.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-24 at 10.46.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-24 at 10.46.25 AM.png

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ebay reps & supervisors give conflicting information, yet won't stand by their words.

They don't know how to wash their hands- unless its of a buyer or seller.

eBay wants us all to work things out through Messages with the seller or buyer,

they don't especially like to get involved - because you could be wrong then eBay will be wrong and next thing you know you just got scammed. This is the 'new' eBay, welcome to scam central.

Loose Cannon
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It appears from your post, you didn't open a return and just asked through messages. That is not how returns work. You should have opened a return for not as described, the seller would have 2 days to send you a return label, if nothing happens by day 3 you go back to the case and ask eBay to step in.  
Since you were denied a refund your next option would be to file a chargeback with the payment source you used when making the purchase. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

There was no need to contact the seller or eBay, it is all automated using the Money Back. Did you open an actual return request using the Money Back/does not match description, or did you just contact the seller? 

On your purchase history page, Click on more actions and click on return. From there pick does not match description. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Yes, I thought I had opened a return, but it was through messages. Sigh, I will have to do that if it happens again. Thank you

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

No, I thought I had opened a return, but I contacted the seller. Sigh, I will have to do that if it happens again. Thank you

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If you have not opened an actual return request, you might still be able to do so by following those steps. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

This is a link to the Money Back Guarantee help page which contains the steps to be followed and appropriate links,

The Customer Support reps were as ignorant as you and now you have a chance to know enough to teach them.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Screen Shot 2024-03-24 at 11.41.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-24 at 11.42.08 AM.pngSupervisor Kate said the first agent, Earl John was not able to open a request when I contacted them.  The second time I contacted ebay supervisor Neil Patrick opened a return request, but said to let the case close and I would receive a refund without having to return the item.  So there's the big conflicting information I received from a supervisor and now the case is closed as well as the appeal. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Read the ebay money back guarantee

As you now probably realize, you are  active on a site (ebay), that is greatly committed to happy buyer experiences

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, since the return/appeal has closed I have filed a chargeback with my credit card company. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

You have 30 days after receiving your item to open a return request.  This is the ONLY way you can handle the situation when you receive something that is not as described.  Just contacting the seller has no effect.

Please keep that in mind.  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply