cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is going downhill!

Purchased 5 items. 4 orders  out of the 5 had problems. Remembered when Ebay made sure sellers were accountable. Seriously, what happened to that quality assurance. Now besides the hassle of returning items or for orders that were not as described, or just don't work, I have to send a picture, etc. Will miss Ebay, but I do not have the time or patience to review, revise, and replace items. A shame, will miss the options of purchasing from Ebay, but frankly it just isn't worth it anymore.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ebay is going downhill!

Hi @hug9297 . Sounds like you either had a string of very bad luck, or you are not vetting sellers/listings.

On the ball pump: did you see the item description and photos that there's a compartment in the handle where the needle is stored? Did you remove the small cap and check that compartment to see if the metal needle was there? I could understand how it would be easy to miss if you weren't looking for it. (The plastic piece you referenced is a toy adapter.)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

Hello,

I've been with eBay for more than 10 years (both buying and selling) and I had different cases (both negative and positive). As a buyer, I made a conclusion that cheap stuff from Asia is often tricky to buy.

Before I buy smth I take a look at the seller's other products, their lifetime on eBay and feedback from other buyers. It's also important to pay attention to the description quality. If the seller sticks to real real pictures (not stock ones) and gives a comprehensive description I'm almost always sure what I'm going to get.

So, my buying experience on eBay helped me to understand what kind of photos and descriptions I should provide for my customers. And I'm happy when my clients are happy. 😊

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

Don't let a few bad sellers spoil your eBay experience.  The site is full of many very responsible sellers that will go the extra mile for their customers.

A couple of tips:

Contact the seller and discuss the situation. 

Most of us will go out of our way to help make an issue right.  No matter how great our scores our, there are often issues that can arise due to a seller making an honest error, a difference in the expectation of the buyer which can very often be way over what they should be for whatever an item is, and things like issues with shipping which are usually issues beyond a seller's control.

Seller indifferent or disrespectful?

If the seller is indifferent or treats you with disrespect, please notify eBay because eBay does not tolerate sellers treating buyers poorly.  I am a seller, but I also buy on eBay as well from another account and I have had to make complaints about other seller's before, and in a couple of cases it resulted in their accounts being temporarily restricted and even permanently closed in the case of one seller.  As a seller, a buyer has to be truly bad before I will leave negative feedback or make a complaint that could cost them their online business, but sometimes it is what is needed and in the long run it helps keep eBay safe.

Take the time to read a sellers reviews.  Many times a seller can have a pretty high score, but when you read the reviews you will find that customers revised their reviews at the seller's request. or the reviews were technically negative in the feedback, but the buyer was simply nice and left positive feedback.

As a buyer, I recommend that you also consider your expectations relative to the item you purchased. 

Was this a $2 item that you were expecting to be fabulous like a $50 item? 

I have read a lot of crummy feedback by buyers that really had unrealistic expectations with their purchases.

Did you honestly take the time to read the sellers description and look at all photos before buying?

This is an issue that I read a lot in feedback where it is clear that a buyer never read the fine print and never bothered to really look over all photos of an item.

Did you buy an item at a super low price that seemed too good to be true?

If you did, then you probably got exactly what you paid for.  This is where buyers often buy counterfeit Chinese items, stolen goods, or items that the pictures seem too good to be true....Yes, a lot of buyers alter photos and what you see is not what you get, and in that case you should fire away and make a complaint.  I sell mostly coins and banknotes and I look at listings all the time and I shake my head because so many seller's have clearly adjusted the colors of items to make them look better than they are,  and sadly a buyer could have avoided being duped if they had only read the mediocre feedback for the seller.

One last thing...Take time to research the rules for sellers.  They are often not as easily searched directly from the eBay site as they are if you type them in on Google or Bing.  It helps to know if a seller is actually following the rules or not.

As a coin and banknote seller, I have made sure that I know the rules for my listings which means that I also know when other sellers are not following the rules.  I believe in keeping eBbay safe so I have no problems either sending a nice message to a seller because many simply don't know or taking the time to report a listing if I get some rude response from some know it all that wants to break the rules and make the platform unsafe which drives away potential buyers for all sellers.

I don't have the right to speak for the eBay sellers community as a whole, but I can simply say that it bothers me when I hear horror stories from buyer's that have had bad experiences.  There are many of us that really do work hard to not only meet expectations, but to exceed expectations.  I hope that you get your situations resolved properly, and that you don't give up on the site.  

I hope this helps you out!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

I really don't see that ebay has changed that much in the 2 1/2 years you've been a member... I've been around since 2010, and by vetting my sellers, I think I've had a grand total of two bad experiences.   As wastingtime101 alludes to, vetting your sellers is critical to not having issues.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

@hug9297 wrote:

Purchased 5 items. 4 orders  out of the 5 had problems. 

i suspect more than a few sellers are of the opinion the majority of problem orders aren't
sent back to a seller by buyers for a full refund

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

How about the world and country is going downhill? 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

@tinsoldierunderground wrote:

I really don't see that ebay has changed that much in the 2 1/2 years you've been a member... I've been around since 2010, and by vetting my sellers, I think I've had a grand total of two bad experiences.   As wastingtime101 alludes to, vetting your sellers is critical to not having issues.

I've been here since 1999 and in that entire time I've had ONE bad experience with a seller.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

Expected your response about “..vetting sellers/listings…with normal company should be no issue at all…for some strange 🫣reason, this issue practically non existent on Amazon…p.s. customer's job is to pay for a product, receive it and being a profiler..

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

..and NOT being a profiler..

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

@msha3839 wrote:

Expected your response about “..vetting sellers/listings…with normal company should be no issue at all…for some strange 🫣reason, this issue practically non existent on Amazon…p.s. customer's job is to pay for a product, receive it and being a profiler..

And I expected that someone would inevitably start drawing comparisons between Amazon and eBay, when they operate on completely different models. The vast majority of sales on Amazon are either sold by Amazon or sold by a third-party seller who houses their goods at an Amazon warehouse and has Amazon fulfill their orders. On eBay 100% of sales come from individual sellers, who each is responsible for fulfillment of their orders. 

If you prefer the Amazon model, you are free to shop there. Goodness knows, I buy so much at Amazon they should be giving me stock options. But don't choose to buy on eBay then complain it's not more like Amazon. It's by design not intended to be.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Ebay is going downhill!

I haven't had any issues with any orders for a very long time.  Last time there was an issue, an item arrived damaged. I sent the seller a message and they asked me to send pictures of the damage. After reviewing the photos I sent they apologized for the problem and said they would ship a new one out right away and told me I can keep the damaged one.  I am glad I don't have more issues because support with Ebay has never been pleasant. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply