cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Ruined. Their focus on Chinese Garbage ...

I was looking for very specific vintage items and well...they are gone now (sellers moved on to Facebook and their own websites). There used to be so many amazing VINTAGE / Antique / Rare Find Collectible things to choose from on Ebay and now: GONE.

Ebay is so foolish it's astonishing.  the ONLY thing Ebay had over other sites was VINTAGE / Antique unique/rare/collectible finds . . .it's truly the ONLY thing Ebay had over other sites. . .reducing that category by losing the sellers of those wonderful rare finds is idiotic. 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Ebay Ruined. Their focus on Chinese Garbage ...

@1tuna,

"I am unsure what JD had to do with ebay and paypal but ebay was dumped by paypal".

Other way around actually, It was eBay who decided not to renew the contract with PayPal. That was first announced on Jan. 31, 2018.  Some say the new contract offered by PayPal was not agreeable to ebay, and others say it was the other way around.  It could also have had something to do with PayPal being able to court Face Book Market place as its payment processor.  No matter what the reason J.D. being on PayPal's BOD had some part in the decision making process.

"we want all the buyers we can get......even the bad ones".

Just another one of many quotes proving that he didn't care what happened to the site's actual customers, the sellers. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Though it's all water under the bridge now, it is of MHO, that JD killed off most [favorable] aspects of the old eBay.  Some JD decisions were fortuitous for eBay profits, and others were merely for the sake of change. JD's reign of terror, combined with that of a US recession was a toxic cocktail for many eBay sellers. Those who were able to bend survived, but many did not.  Though I'm certainly no fan of managed payments, I think it's the lessor of many of the decisions causing seller contention, that has befallen eBay in the past decade. I never had any issues with PayPal, and would have very much enjoyed seeing eBay continue using them for payment. Whether or not I understand why ebay did it (which I do) is really a moot point.  Just FYI, one of my favorite JD autocratic quotes was when he referred to objections and complaints from sellers to be just so much "noise". That really helped me to decide that he really was, some kind of *special*. 😒

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

I’ll add to this conversation because I’m completely frustrated.   I am a woman with Alopecia Areata and wear wigs.  The sellers on eBay are stealing the stock photos from quality wigs that legitimately sell for $250 for a synthetic to $3.5k (on up) for ethically sourced human hair.  I will sell my pieces in the 2nd hand market, but even Facebook has been inundated with crap. I would feel completely discouraged if I suffered hair loss due to chemo or Covid and got scammed by these sellers.  

You can’t even use the U.S. (or any geographic) filter anymore because the Chinese warehouses found a way around that too.  

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply