cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY CLOSED THE RETURN REQUEST DUE TO INACTIVITY! DESPITE ACTIVLY CHATTING WITH THE SELLER?

what the hell do I do? I was actively chatting with the seller throughout the entire time but eBay now says it closed the request due to inactivity??? 

I still haven't gotten my item and eBay's **bleep** useless customer service page has no option to reopen a request  what do I do???

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

EBAY CLOSED THE RETURN REQUEST DUE TO INACTIVITY! DESPITE ACTIVLY CHATTING WITH THE SELLER?

@knuakselse_0,

You should have read the terms of ebay's Money Back Guarantee, so that you know its time frames and policies.  When you open an item not received dispute, it stays open for 30 days, if you do not ask ebay to step in, or the item's tracking shows Delivered, the dispute will close automatically.  When you file a dispute it will appear on your My ebay page, and the seller and you should only communicate from the dispute.  Your seller knew that, and was messaging through regular messages, to keep you from asking ebay to step in until it was too late.

If you paid using PayPal, or a Credit card, you can file item not received claims through them.  PayPal gives you 180 days from the date of purchase to file. Your card provider's buyer protections may have a similar time frame, but call the number on the back of the card to find out how long they give you to file, and what their procedure for filing a charge back is.

You can usually tell if a seller has slow shipping or non-receipt issues, by checking their feedback profile page before buying.  To view a feedback profile page click on the number in (  ) to the right of a seller's username.  On the page that opens there is a box with the numbers of the 3 types of feedback a seller can receive.  You can click on the numbers of negative and neutral feedback, to read only those comments. Always check each seller's feedback profile before buying from them. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Inactivity means after you opened the case you didn't return to the case and escalate or ask eBay for help.  if you don't do this by 21 days it closes for inactivity.  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Not sure why you'd want to waste time "chatting with the seller".  

If you opened an INR case, you needed to return to the case which you could have done in 96 hours and asked eBay to step in.

You cannot reopen a request with eBay.  If you paid with Paypal, you can open a case there, or, last resort, do a charge back on your credit card.

Please go back and read the Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  It's really quite good, but you need to follow the directions.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You're not new, you don't buy much, but you've been here for 5 years.

That said, do you 'chat' with wallyworld when you get something that isn't right?  Nope, you package it up and send it back, or get in your car and bring it back.  

Talking to the seller, does no good, you learned your lesson right?  

I've bought defective merchandise and notified the seller. Most, if not all chinese sellers will get you going in a dialog, trying to get you past the 30 day return, or if you've already filed, past the 21 day return mailing window.  You're seller did that to you.

Now you're only choice is your funding source.  Let's hope you paid with a credit card that offers a money back guarantee.

OY VEY !

Message 5 of 5
latest reply