cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chance listing with "chance" in the title! What a joke!

Chance listings are prohibited, but eBay does nothing about them. Seller taking unknown number of chances on a 1969 Topps Nolan Ryan card at $5.99 a shot.  Even has the nerve to put the word "chance' in the title, but the bots say it's okay! To add insult to injury, the seller actually has another chance listing as well! Come on eBay, shut this down now. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Chance listing with "chance" in the title! What a joke!

WAIT A MINUTE!!!! 

I can't believe how stupid our country's become that 42 people have already slapped down their money on this when it's likely the seller just grabbed pics from some other site/auction, similar to ebay sales of masei911 helmets and G1 metroplex robots.

If they're that dumb, maybe they SHOULD get the shaft - better that than sending their money to someone working to destroy our country.

shady 1969 baseball cards b.jpg

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

WAIT A MINUTE....

@megafo_8472 

Of course we do. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

And of course, even though it shows that fleabay doesn't do about fraud and scams (not to mention the cases where they actively protect the scammers and allow them to keep selling), our so-called justice system continues to let them get away with the "we're just a venue" defense.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Ebay doesn't allow chance listings.  So, I don't understand the beef.

I saw one listing that described: 

"THIS IS A PULL GAME OR MYSTERY BAG. ONE PERSON WILL GET THE 1969 NOLAN RYAN CARD PICTURED. ALL OTHERS WILL RECEIVE 6 CARDS FROM DIFFERENT YEARS AND SPORTS. "

The title says "CHANCE TO WIN THIS 1969 TOPPS NOLAN RYAN 2ND YEAR CARD" it doesn't add "or 6 other cards"

There are 10 offers available.

If ten people each buy one. and when they receive "6 cards from different years..." they file an item not as described. The seller will have to refund and get 10 strikes against his account, as well as the potential of 10 negatives. 

is it possible that the seller has 52 of these cards all in excellent condition for  $5.99 ea free shipping? And nobody gets 6 other cards and every buyer feels like a winner?

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

is it possible that the seller has 52 of these cards all in excellent condition for $5.99 ea free shipping? And nobody gets 6 other cards and every buyer feels like a winner?

But the seller also says:

"IT IS A GAME WITH ONE BIG WINNER. NO REFUNDS IF YOU DONT WIN."

So it is possible that the seller has not entirely thought things through. Or else has to a certain extent -- but is counting on the buyers to not have thought things through quite as far.

You or I might understand how (and when) to file an "item not received" case or a "not as described" case, but you and I are probably not in the target audience enticed by such an offer to begin with.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

They are also breaking lottery laws.    Still people like a surprise.   The dark web if full of people selling  packages of unknown items. 

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@little.font.lord.leroy wrote:

Ebay doesn't allow chance listings.  So, I don't understand the beef.

I saw one listing that described: 

"THIS IS A PULL GAME OR MYSTERY BAG. ONE PERSON WILL GET THE 1969 NOLAN RYAN CARD PICTURED. ALL OTHERS WILL RECEIVE 6 CARDS FROM DIFFERENT YEARS AND SPORTS. "

The title says "CHANCE TO WIN THIS 1969 TOPPS NOLAN RYAN 2ND YEAR CARD" it doesn't add "or 6 other cards"

There are 10 offers available.

If ten people each buy one. and when they receive "6 cards from different years..." they file an item not as described. The seller will have to refund and get 10 strikes against his account, as well as the potential of 10 negatives. 

is it possible that the seller has 52 of these cards all in excellent condition for  $5.99 ea free shipping? And nobody gets 6 other cards and every buyer feels like a winner?

SERIOUSLY??????????

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

I've reported the listings a couple times and last night they sent me offers for both cards.

Have a great day
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

He's now sold 55 chances at $5.99 a chance. That's more than the card would sell for and he's not done. Just for the heck of it, I tried to buy 100 chances. Guess what? They put it in my cart to buy, so I guess there's no limit on this lottery. Can't eBay do ONE thing right? Shut this down now and refund al the people who bought a chance at this card.

Forgot to mention that I contacted the seller and sent him a link to eBay's policy against chance listings. He thanked me and said he didn't know about that policy! But he didn't end the lisitng, did he? Unreal. 

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I reported a few listings earlier today and they were removed.

Just reported a few other listings, same items, different seller and they didn't see anything wrong with the listings.

I don't understand how one can be against policy, but another one isn't, when it's the same items?

Have a great day
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I don't understand how one can be against policy, but another one isn't, when it's the same items?

They are both against policy, they just aren't necessarily being recognized as such or treated the same.

Most likely the bot is not able to reliably distinguish all possible kinds of policy violations; then again, the bot is only the first line of defense. If the bot catches something obvious, that is a way to quickly deal with many of those cases, freeing up humans to spend more time dealing with a few tougher cases, or cleaning up after the bot if the bot winds up blocking or removing something that shouldn't have been blocked or removed.

At some point, an actual human will presumably take a look at that listing that got past the bot, recognize the obvious violation, and overrule the bot's decision, and adjust the bot's sensitivity.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Looks like the listings were removed.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 27
latest reply