cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying limit

I am trying to place a bid and I received a message: To help protect your eBay account, we sometimes limit the amount of items that can be bid on or purchased by a single account. However, you may be able to increase the limit on your account by verifying some information about yourself. EBAY won't tell me the way to verify the so called information, but they ask me these 4 strange questions, seems no relation with the problem i meet, and when they receive my answer, they will report to relevant departments. Is the purchase for yourself or a gift?  Do you intend on collecting the vehicle/item? If so, how?  Is there another vehicle/item you are considering? What is it?  Is the item for sale at a good price? Anyone can help me with a better answer? Many thanks
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Buying limit

These 4 questions:

Is the purchase for yourself or a gift?  --------------------      

Do you intend on collecting the vehicle/item? If so, how?   ----------------------           

Is there another vehicle/item you are considering? What is it?-------------------            

Is the item for sale at a good price? ----------------          

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

@tengwang,

There are two main reasons why ebay will send the "Limits" messages.  The first is when a new member starts trying to buy higher priced items.  The second when a member tries to bid on or buy an item that is much more expensive than what their usual purchases have cost, or there is a sudden increase in the number of purchases they are making.  That is explained in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/buying-limits-restrictions/buying-limits-restrictions?id=4012

However, in looking at your feedback profile I do not see a reason why you received a "limits" message unless you are trying to bid on a very expensive trading card, or you have actually bid on a Car.  In that case with your country of registry being China, the questions about being able to pay for it or arrange to pick it up do make sense.  Maybe there is a Chinese government limit on the number purchases or their cost from foreign countries ebay has to enforce.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

@tengwang,

When I logged on this morning, this topic was at the top of the page, and I thought I recognized your username.  After posting my reply, and going back to the main Buying Board page, I saw another topic posted by you from a week or so ago, that you had replied to about a problem with a seller today.  If after trying to get resolution through ebay failed,  then you opened a dispute with your credit card company.  That might trigger the limits message. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

Thanks for your kindly reply,  about the other topic, after i failed, i did nothing except message the seller, i hope he can make things right , although it's almost impossible.

And for this buying limit, that is weird, i always maintained a certain rhythm on buying from ebay, and i send payment very fast. and i never bid on a vehicle, i even never review that kind of products. that is why i called these 4 questions strange.

Now i have only a winning bidding on a $22 card, and now i can't make any bid of offer.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

Actually, this is not the first time i've been limit on buying, i suffered this a weeks ago, and after my e-mails, ebay put me on a whitelist for 7 days, and after 7 days, which is yesterday, i am limited again.

Now i e-mail EBAY again, they ask me these 4 questions, i wanna know how can i give the best answer that can help me get rid of this situation for good.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

@tengwang,

Because of your location, I do not know how you can contact ebay about the limits issue.  My best guess is that your problem with the other purchase has something to do with the limit being imposed. 

You may have tried to get the seller to pay the return shipping from China, which they are not responsible for doing, if you have packages sent to a U.S. based freight forwarder, before they are sent to China. They are only responsible for paying the return shipping from the U.S. location. Because of that, he seller might have reported you for misusing the Money Back Guarantee policies, and that triggered limits being placed on your account. 

You may have trouble bidding on items for a while, but should be able to use buy it now to make purchases, so you should do that for the time being, which should get the limits removed soon. Also try bidding very late on auctions, placing one bid, for the most you are willing to pay for an item, and do not bid on several items at one time, wait until each auction ends before bidding on another one. Part of the limits not explained in the link I sent is an Open Transaction limit, of 4 or 5 that you can have at any one time. That number rolls over as you win and pay for items or lose an auction.  

Open transactions are:

Items you have won or committed to buy but have yet to pay for.

Each bid placed on an auction, until the auction ends and you win and pay.

Any offers you have sent, that have yet to be accepted/declined or expire without action after 48 hours.

My suggestion about placing only one bid on an auction, means placing an Automatic bid. If you do not know how that works read the information in the link below, and click on all of the links in the article that have a (+) symbol next to them or are either blue in color or underlined.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bidding?id=4003

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

Thank you so very much, it helps me a lot. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

@tengwang,

I was probably writing my last answer when you posted the reply below to one of my posts.

"Actually, this is not the first time i've been limit on buying, i suffered this a weeks ago, and after my e-mails, ebay put me on a whitelist for 7 days, and after 7 days, which is yesterday, i am limited again.

Now i e-mail EBAY again, they ask me these 4 questions, i wanna know how can i give the best answer that can help me get rid of this situation for good".

The info about have been limited before was important and should have been in your first post.

While those questions seem silly, you should answer them, which may result in a few more irrelevant questions being sent, and more after them until the system directs you to someone who can actually help.

My answers to them would be

1) The item was for me.

2) The item is not a vehicle or local pickup item.

3)  It will be sent to me.

4) The price is reasonable.

I do wish I could say that answering the questions will help, but I am doubtful of that happening.

My last suggestion for getting you help would depend on whether or not you are allowed to use Facebook or Instagram in China.  If you can use one of the links below to contact ebay.  The reps on those sites, are actual ebay employees. Most others work for a contracted by ebay Call/Chat center who have trouble dealing with issues like yours, because they are not mentioned in the "playbook" given them by ebay.

You should start the message telling them about there being an issue with the one transaction.  If the item was sent to a freight forwarder first you need to mention that. 

Then let them know you were limited, but after contacting ebay, you were allowed to bid again for 7 days, but now the limits have been imposed again.

Ask the rep to review your profile which shows you have been a reliable payer, even for some expensive items, without too many issues with sellers.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Buying limit

@mudshark61369 ,

I wasn’t aware of them having an instagram page.  There is a way to contact them through “X” - www.Twitter.com/askebay 

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 10 of 10
latest reply