cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid on item only to find it for sale on poshmark

So I bid on an item and now I see it listed on poshmark, I’m currently the highest bidder on the eBay auction .  I think this is so sleazy .  Is there any way to retract your bid if the seller is listing on different sites ?   I don’t want to be involved in a mess should I win yet the seller sold the item on poshmark and tries to collect from me too. She has admitted it’s the same item. 

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Bid on item only to find it for sale on poshmark

OK, Sleazy was too much.

You do realize that many of us sell on multiple sites and sometimes have the same item listed in  two places-especially items on eBay auction that tend to end and die.

You  could always go to the seller and tell them what you saw and maybe they have two of them, maybe it's a mistake, maybe they just are not keeping up with what is going on.  But be nice, don't start calling them names and insulting them.

To err is human.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 16 of 29
latest reply

No, they cannot retract their bid.  There is no reason to and there is no valid reason to allow it.    Retracting the bid or trying could get them permanently removed.

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

So much for giving the correct answers. 

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@hespec-37 

Many sellers use multiple sites to sell on. For my own listings, if an item sells on one site, I immediately end the listing on any other site where it's listed. 

But often, I have multiples of the same item so even if it's listed on ebay and either has bids (auction) or someone BINs it, I don't need to remove the item from other sites because I have more than one to sell. 

There's nothing sketchy, illegal or sleazy! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

Didn’t know it was common practice.  This person doesn’t seem super experienced like you are.

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

bidders can retract bids just about any time they want to, up to the last 12 hours I think

I run mostly auctions and have plenty of bids canceled by pro bid retractors

I have had bidders ask me to cancel and I am tempted to tell them to do it themselves but I do it anyways.

if a bidder is having trouble canceling a bid then they are doing it wrong

I can cancel any bids up to the last second but I cant end the auction then

@divwido 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 21 of 29
latest reply

I don't sell on multiple sites, but I do sell at antique shows.  Often I take some of the same items that are listed on eBay.  If it sells in person, I quickly delete it from eBay.  If it sells on eBay, I take if off the table.  I keep a detailed list, but it is still scary.  Mistakes happen.  I would never want to disappoint a buyer by having to say I already sold it.  It is  not for the faint of heart! 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. Here is the link from eBay showing how a buyer CAN retract a bid. I've had buyers retract bids on my auctions many times. My answer was not incorrect....

Retracting a bid | eBay

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

I think the point is the buyer didn't have a valid reason to retract. Sure they can lie and file an invalid refraction but that's a violation of policy thus should not. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 24 of 29
latest reply

The buyer didn’t lie and told eBay the reason why they wanted to retract.  eBay assisted in the retraction.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@hespec-37 wrote:

The buyer didn’t lie and told eBay the reason why they wanted to retract.  eBay assisted in the retraction.

There is only three reasons for a valid retraction in order to retract one of those reasons would have to be selected.  None of those reasons apply here weather eBay did it for you or not the reason for the retraction would be a lie and invalid.   This is wasn't said to be an offense to you but to let all those telling you you can retract are wrong for telling you that.  

I do think you overrated about finding the item also on another site. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

I'm confused by this post.  I list everything on both sites.  Some items sell on ebay, some sell on Poshmark.  I've never had a problem since as soon as there is a buyer on one site, I pull it off the other.  Why would you think this is "sleazy"?

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

You can retract your bid since the auction hasn't ended. Just understand that if you were to win this auction and you'd already purchased the same item on another platform, the seller would simply refund you. A seller cannot just accept multiple payments for the same item without sending out duplicates. They are taking a chance by listing same item on another website but obviously they just want to sell the one item. Best of luck to you.... 

Actually, the OP doesn't appear to have a valid reason to retract the bid under eBay's rules.  To perform an invalid bid retraction is, although eBay has made it nearly impossible to report, still a policy violation, I believe.  Thus this advice is not, in my opinion, very helpful.  The fact that the OP has selected it as being the solution may be misleading to others reading the thread. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. Here is the link from eBay showing how a buyer CAN retract a bid. I've had buyers retract bids on my auctions many times. My answer was not incorrect....

Retracting a bid | eBay

There are very limited reasons allowed by eBay for a bidder to retract a bid.  Although eBay has for some time made reporting invalid bid retractions by sellers nearly impossible, I don't believe that they ever changed the making an invalid retraction a policy violation.  Based on the OP's original post, I don't see where the OP has a valid reason to retract under eBay rules.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 29 of 29
latest reply