cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are sellers making money with postage after selling damaged goods then doing partial refund?

Purchased top marked "excellent used condition" and shipping for 6.99.

Arrived after 8 days crumpled in bag with white hairs on the top and what appears to be crumbs or dandruff.

I sent a message to the "seller" who promptly bullied stating it "doesn't know how this could have happened, it went straight from the photo into the bag" and then without asking refunded 3 dollars "for my trouble."

Has anyone found sellers to be doing this so they can make money off of this misrepresentation of items and/or partial postage?

It says accepts returns in the ad. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Are sellers making money with postage after selling damaged goods then doing partial refund?

Return it as not as described get your money back. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: Are sellers making money with postage after selling damaged goods then doing partial refund?

@gita_brown 

Sellers are only making money if you let them. Go to the item in your purchase history, click the Return button and select that the item was not as described. Three business days later go back to the case and ask eBay to step in. They'll send you a return label, which the seller will pay for. Once the seller has the return you'll get a full refund.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Why would you not simply have opened an item not as described case?

Have you read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers?  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Most buyers fish for a partial refund by sending the seller a message instead of opening up a return claim for item not as described. As you said yourself the seller accepts returns.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is there such an item as "excellent used condition"?  Excellent would mean unused to me.

Not to be funny...but...do you have any white hairs...or eat toast when opening your mail?

A rather good seller doing a partial refund immediately...bullied..that's he said she said statement.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

He refunded a dollar for the item and a dollar and change for the postage. (total over 15.00)

The white hairs were extra I suppose. The dandruff or crumbs free. 

"Seller" refunded 2 bucks almost immediately.

He must have been at the ready and thought I'd be grateful.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@gita_brown wrote:

Purchased top marked "excellent used condition" and shipping for 6.99.

Arrived after 8 days crumpled in bag with white hairs on the top and what appears to be crumbs or dandruff.

I sent a message to the "seller" who promptly bullied stating it "doesn't know how this could have happened, it went straight from the photo into the bag" and then without asking refunded 3 dollars "for my trouble."

Has anyone found sellers to be doing this so they can make money off of this misrepresentation of items and/or partial postage?

It says accepts returns in the ad. 

I would say it's a lousy way to make any money - margins on clothing can be pretty tight to begin with.

He may have refunded out of embarrassment, or in the hopes of not dealing with a return, or perhaps trying to fend off another SNAD. I've found unfortunately that some clothing sellers' idea of "excellent" and mine have a gulf between them.

Not seeing the bullying though - more embarrassed denial. IAC, sloppy clothing sellers give the rest of us a bad name. Hopefully the top is still wearable.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That would be a pretty crazy scam if they were trying to make money that way.  How did the seller bully, I don't see any bullying behavior in your post.  

Some people just don't care for things and packages the same way as others, I am amazed at some of the thoughtless ways items are packaged.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"Most buyers fish for a partial refund . . ."

Do you have actual statistics to back up this claim?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@gita_brown 

If the $2 or $3 refund isn’t enough compensation for you, you can get a full refund. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply