cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I now permanently opted into automatic payments for auctions?

I recently made a best offer on an item and it asked for a payment method which I clicked on and then I received a message in my e-mail with the title: Thanks for selecting a payment method for Best Offer and Auctions!      It then said something like I authorize Ebay to use these payment details to collect payment for best offers and auctions.    Does this mean from now on whenever I win a auction I will be automatically billed for them and not have the option to manually pay for them?   If so is this reversible? I would like to pay the old way as I sometimes win multiple items and want the seller to combine shipping charges or use a different credit card.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Am I now permanently opted into automatic payments for auctions?

You may want to review your Buyer Requirements in your Site Preferences.  It was updated last month.

Buyer Requirements 8-8-23.jpg

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 44
latest reply

We’re also implementing stricter policies–including account suspension–for users who repeatedly win auctions or make a Best Offer on items but fail to complete the purchase.

@mam98031 

If they did that in the first place, we would not need this "New Smoother Checkout" nonsense that does nothing but deny buyers the use of many of the usual payment options, and removes the ability to combine shipping on offers or auction wins.  Sellers who sell ten items to the same buyer wouldn't be charged the non-refundable .30 x ten ($3.00)  transaction fee instead of just .30 cents for one combined payment/order. 

If eBay had provided these "stricter policies" in the first place none of this would be necessary.  There will be no stricter policies needed now that ALL buyer IDs are forced into the program, and as soon as they complete the forced enrollment for bidding the "stricter polices" will be shown to be just smoke and mirrors.

If eBay was really intending to come up with buyer sanctions, then ALL sellers could turn these buyer requirements OFF and once again welcome buyers to make multiple purchases through auctions and offers knowing eBay has their back, and not their hand in their pocket. 

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

"Most internet sites require payment before a purchase goes through."

That's fine, but the sites let you choose the account you pay with, and allow you to choose shipping options if the seller/site has various shipping methods offered. 

eBay has taken this away, and made permanent the address and payment account, with ability to edit that for future purchases (bids & offers). This is unacceptable, really.

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

Some buyers claim auto pay is not a smoother & more convenient payment feature, & have decided to no longer bid & make offers.

Most humans hate change.  So when it happens they fight it for all kinds of reasons.  This is a much needed change to the site.  Buyers can get use to this if they want and they can set defaults too.  So not all the info has to be filled out every time unless that is the way the buyer wants to do it.

Most internet sites require payment before a purchase goes through.  Ebay has always been a bit different on this subject and it has caused many sellers getting hit with non paying buyers.  Mostly from Auctions.

Please name one internet site that doesn't give you the option of changing your payment method in the checkout process. I'll wait.

I'm honestly so over sellers condescendingly telling us "oh, everyone hates change, you'll get used to it, sellers need one more way to avoid nonpaying buyers", and on and on and on. You know what? I've been buying on this site for 27 years. I've never not paid for an item. I've never been late paying for an item. Much of what I've bought is fairly pricy items that I've used no interest Paypal Credit plans to purchase. So guess what? If you have a $100+ item I might want but are opted into payment upfront, you will have lost a sale.

I honestly feel like many of the sellers commenting on this abysmal policy are the eBay equivalent of my third grade teacher keeping everyone after school because one person was caught chewing gum.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@kathiec 

I don't know of any, but then I never said there was such a site.  If you are suggesting that Ebay doesn't allow you to change how you pay, that has not been my experience.

OK I was NOT being "condescendingly telling" you anything.  It appears you want to read more into what I posted than was actually there.  That won't help you in any way except to likely further upset you because you are assuming stuff not said or implied.

I would be happy to have a civil conversation with you on this subject, but it appears you mind is made up so it probably wouldn't serve any purpose as it appears your interest is in throwing out insults.

As to humans not real big on change.  It is just a normal human reaction.  That is a FACT.

https://training.nottingham.ac.uk/Public/Managing-Change-Four-Stages-of-Change-Factsheet.pdf

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-common-reactions-change-how-respond-them-ken-blanchard

And there is much more on the internet regarding this subject.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@kathiec 

I don't know of any, but then I never said there was such a site.  If you are suggesting that Ebay doesn't allow you to change how you pay, that has not been my experience.

I'm sorry, but "Most internet sites require payment before a purchase goes through" seems to intimate that there are sites that use the same "pay before you purchase" model that eBay is adopting. And no, with this new system eBay doesn't allow you to change how you pay. That's the crux of the problem.

OK I was NOT being "condescendingly telling" you anything.  It appears you want to read more into what I posted than was actually there.  That won't help you in any way except to likely further upset you because you are assuming stuff not said or implied.

I would be happy to have a civil conversation with you on this subject, but it appears you mind is made up so it probably wouldn't serve any purpose as it appears your interest is in throwing out insults.

Having a differing opinion is not "throwing out insults" anymore than a lecture on how we need to learn to accept change is.

As to humans not real big on change.  It is just a normal human reaction.  That is a FACT.

https://training.nottingham.ac.uk/Public/Managing-Change-Four-Stages-of-Change-Factsheet.pdf

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/7-common-reactions-change-how-respond-them-ken-blanchard

And there is much more on the internet regarding this subject.

I love it when someone argues they're not being condescending, then makes sure to include the links where we poor idiots can look it up. The issue was never that I'm not familiar with the psychological ramifications of change. Using that to argue that all change is good so we should all just "get used to it" is what's flawed. 

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

Again you assume too much.  It is very common to provide links to various things as a discussion goes on.  It is a way for others to view the supporting data so they can better understand any given subject at hand.  It certainly doesn't mean you need to read it, it only is given for those that may want to look.  

"I'm sorry, but "Most internet sites require payment before a purchase goes through" seems to intimate that there are sites that use the same "pay before you purchase" model that eBay is adopting."

No need to apologize, but again you are assuming stuff I did not say.  Your interpretation is very different from the intent of what I posted.  I never even implied that ANY other site "used the same" system as Ebay.  

There are very few sites that actually even have auctions anymore.  There are some specialty auction houses and they all have their own TOS and payment terms.  You'd have to research each of them to see what their requirements are.

But if it is a fixed price listing, all sites that I'm aware of require payment before the actual purchase goes through.    Ebay is just trying to fix a problem that sellers have had for years with buyers that don't pay after winning an auction.

This is one of those things where a few bad apples spoiled it for the more responsible buyers out there, which is most buyers.  There are however enough of these bad apples that it costs sellers dearly over the year when a buyer does not pay upon purchase.

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

Well, I've put off making offers on items because of the need to agree to payment in advance, but today I did want to do one and so entered my PayPal account info.

I've now received a message from eBay saying:

Hi ZZZZ,

You’ve selected PayPal account ZZZZ@ZZZZ.com as your payment method for the offers and bids you make on eBay.

For your records, we’ve included a copy of the payment authorisation:

“You authorise eBay to link your PayPal account to your eBay account and use it to collect payment from you for items you offer to buy or win at auction on eBay.”

But I didn't (knowingly) agree to that; I was agreeing to the offer, but not bids against a running auction.

I don't want to automatically pay for auctions using that method; I may want to use a different method on occasion and/or I like to do local pickup for cash where possible.

So, I've now gone into my account settings and deleted that payment option.

I'll see what happens on the next item I want to bid on and/or win.

At worst, this could be the effective end of my eBay journey; I do not want to have things paid automatically the moment the auction completes.

In case anybody thinks I've got ulterior motives, my account dates back to Feb 2001, my current eBay count is 1601, and I have 100% +ve feedback over the past 12 months.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Phew - I was able to bid on something, so it looks like normality is resumed...

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

@paulrowlands 

The next time you go to make an offer or bid on an auction you will get the opportunity to change your payment method within those Ebay accepts.  

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

@paulrowlands wrote:

Phew - I was able to bid on something, so it looks like normality is resumed...

@paulrowlands 

Sellers control if the payment authorization appears when you go to bid on something or make an offer.  So it didn't really go away, you just are dealing with a seller that doesn't require it.

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

At worst, this could be the effective end of my eBay journey; I do not want to have things paid automatically the moment the auction completes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

eBay has recently started ...........auctions  ...........       .  auto-pay will be in 3 days.   The intent is to allow for winning more items from the same seller and allowing combined shipping to be done...........    but it may be possible that this change will also allow a buyer that wins to pay before the 3 day "auto-payment"  thus allowing the buyer to choose a payment method. 

A big step forward in this eBay auto-pay fiasco if that is a benefit of the delay. Not sure if this is happening for all that are in the bid "auto-pay", or if it is a select few "test".  There are other threads going on the  3day auto-pay delay. More info may be derived there.  Not sure if there is/is not an official eBay statement about the subject.

@paulrowlands 

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

Those are interesting replies; I don't want to change the way things work for me, so I'll simply not bid/offer on items which try and force it on me.

The sellers may be having issues which they feel need fixing, but they'll be turning me away too.

There's nothing on eBay that I need to buy immediately and can't get elsewhere, so scaling back isn't an issue.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

@paulrowlands wrote:

Those are interesting replies; I don't want to change the way things work for me, so I'll simply not bid/offer on items which try and force it on me.

The sellers may be having issues which they feel need fixing, but they'll be turning me away too.

There's nothing on eBay that I need to buy immediately and can't get elsewhere, so scaling back isn't an issue.

@paulrowlands 

Sellers have the right to be paid.  Ebay gave us these tools because of for years way too many buyers would bid and never pay or make an offer and never pay.  Leaving the seller to hold the bag.  Have their items unavailable for the purchase by a buyer that was really going to pay as well.  So it can be very expensive for a seller.

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

"Sellers have the right to be paid." nobody is suggesting not paying.

Plus sellers don't pay fees if they raise a non-payer dispute, so the "very expensive" comment doesn't really hold water; inconvenienced yes, but that's about it.

It's a choice, though: if the seller imposes that on me, then I won't bid, so the seller loses.

Beware of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Message 30 of 44
latest reply