cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Offers Have Been Automatically Declined

Why was my offer declined? Because someone had placed a bid on this item. This means all offers have been automatically declined. I don’t like this policy. I was here first. My offer came in prior to the bid, so the offer should NOT have been invalidated by ebay. The seller wanted to accept my offer, but was unable to do so because ebay had interfered. It was a done deal. The item sold. The seller wanted to accept, and was in the process of accepting, and then a few seconds later BANG… Ebay blocks the seller from accepting.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

That's the rules.  The 24 or 48 hours stated as the expiration of the offer is a maximum time, not a guarantee that it will be open that long.  All offers expire (blame eBay for using the misleading term "declined") when a bid is made on the auction (bids take precedence over offers and the first bid ends the Best Offer process immediately) or when the listing ends for any reason (including someone else used the Buy It Now or another offer was accepted by the offeree).    

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

It's a rule that needs to change. The higher amount should take priority. Let the seller decide if he wants to accept the offer.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@pf9000,

Unless you needed the item yesterday, keep an eye on the auction. If it hasn't reached your offer amount by the last day, bid that amount on the auction.  Who knows you might win it for even less. 

However, if you see that others have bid and the first bidder is still in the lead, it could be that they placed an automatic bid in excess of your bid/offer amount.  That is why offers that haven't been accepted end as soon as a bid is placed.  eBay is hoping the item sells for more than the offers, so they get more money from the sale. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@pf9000 

Once an auction has received a bid, all offers are off the table.

The fact that you made the offer before the bid came in is not relevant. Timing doesn't matter with offers.

PER EBAY (for sellers):

If you receive a bid

• Current offers and counteroffers will be declined automatically, and buyers won't be able to make any additional offers on your item
  • If you had received an offer that was higher than the current bid, the buyer who made the offer will need to place a bid, as their offer was declined when the first bid was placed

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Sometimes when you snooze , you lose.  The other guy was faster.  He wanted it more .   I love best offers. As a seller, I wait a few hours before I accept a reasonable one. Very often, another buyer comes in a buys it at my price.  I completely ignore the absurd offers.  There is always the chance that someone else will swoop in an get the item.   Keep checking ebay.  Eventually, someone else will list that item.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Hi @pf9000 

I understand that you weren't able to complete the offer process ... but were you also prevented from bidding?  Did you try to place a bid for the amount of your offer ... or some other amount?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Sometimes when you snooze , you lose.  The other guy was faster.  He wanted it more .   

Can you explain how you reached this conclusion when the OP claims to have made an offer for more than the opening bid amount, and (obviously) made the offer before the bid was placed?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Sometimes when you snooze , you lose.  The other guy was faster.  He wanted it more .   I love best offers. As a seller, I wait a few hours before I accept a reasonable one. Very often, another buyer comes in a buys it at my price.  I completely ignore the absurd offers.  There is always the chance that someone else will swoop in an get the item.   Keep checking ebay.  Eventually, someone else will list that item.

@ms.rodriguez* 

The OP clearly stated "My offer came in prior to the bid,". Their existing offer was automatically declined when someone made a bid after they had made the offer.

*lady*madonna*

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

It sort of defeats the purpose behind accepting offers. The offer was already in the queue. And it was kicked out of the queue just as soon as a bid was made. That's not the way it should work. Especially when the offer was much higher than the starting bid.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

If the starting bid is $10 and someone offers $100 than the seller should be able to either accept or reject the offer. It sort of defeats the purpose behind accepting offers when all offers are automatically declined because someone bid the minimum starting amount of $10 versus $100. The option for the seller to accept should have been left open. Let the seller decide to either accept or reject the offer without interference. Am I the only one who believes the current policy is unreasonable and interfering with legitimate offers being made to sellers?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@pf9000 

It is Ebay's rule. Take it up with them.

Best offers on auctions are active until a bid is placed on the auction, regardless of the amount of the offer. After the auction received a bid, you were free to place a bid on the item for the amount of your offer.

*lady*madonna*

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@pf9000 

Just curious...how much time had elapsed between the time you made your offer and the time the first bid was made?

Also, remember the auction had more time to go after the opening bid, so more bids could have been made, resulting in a selling price more than your offer.

*lady*madonna*

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@pf9000 wrote:

It sort of defeats the purpose behind accepting offers. The offer was already in the queue. And it was kicked out of the queue just as soon as a bid was made. That's not the way it should work. Especially when the offer was much higher than the starting bid.

The SELLER agreed to the automatic decline of offers once a bid has been placed.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@woodland_gnome 

All offers expire (blame eBay for using the misleading term "declined")

EBay uses a lot of words poorly.

My current annoyance is with the new nomenclature for Unpaid Items.

These now can be 'cancelled' automatically after 96 hours.

Formerly these were Disputes or Claims which were won or lost.

'Cancellations' were mutual agreements that the transaction should not procede.

The new use for 'cancellation' does not make it clear that the deadbeat buyer has repercussions (Strikes) for their behaviour.

This makes the seller unhappy.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply